It probably is. Personally, I'd prefer CIG to have moved it all the way back to 3.4 to begin with, and then when they are done early they can positively surprise people with a "Guess what Santa brought in as well!" sort of thing. It would have a positive impact, whereas this will probably make people vitriolic.

6 hours ago, Caldon said:

It probably is. Personally, I'd prefer CIG to have moved it all the way back to 3.4 to begin with, and then when they are done early they can positively surprise people with a "Guess what Santa brought in as well!" sort of thing. It would have a positive impact, whereas this will probably make people vitriolic.

Only to those who unrealistic expectations or just truly have no understanding of what is being done behind the scenes. I say, let them melt!

3 minutes ago, Juntau said:

Only to those who unrealistic expectations or just truly have no understanding of what is being done behind the scenes. I say, let them melt!

Let the rustling begin!

As someone who plays games on their laptop exclusively now (and will for the foreseeable future until graphics card prices come down) this just means I'll have to wait a while longer unless I want to play Powerpoint Citizen. But there are plenty of other games I can play until then, so it's no big deal.

46 minutes ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I'm still fine with waiting, but hearing this was again delayed does frustrate me a little. it seems CIG does this every single time. At least they're consistent now with patching every quarter.
Let's wait and see.

I tend to agree with what @Caldon said. They shouldn't try to put something they know is so challenging on the roadmap if they are going to push it back over and over. I'd say they should put it in a REALISTIC part of the roadmap, while shooting for ASAP. That said, it doesn't frustrate me that much because I know it's one of the biggest challenges of the tech.

11 hours ago, Juntau said:

Only to those who unrealistic expectations

Resource optimization is always going to be looked at as the silver bullet for gameplay, even though in some cases it will, at BEST, just allow you to load the program and look around  (yeah laptops, I am looking at you).

I recently upgraded my CPU and went from barely playable to awesome sauce (750ti to ASUS for the win). This was with no programming fixes, and proves my point that optimization, while grand, is not ever going to be the silver bullet people want it to be. For the true silver bullet, you will need to get the hottest and bestest CPU you can afford.

Sad to announce, but with his envelope pushing programming style, this has always been a Roberts trademark,. Roberts New Game = You New CPU.

If the game is unplayable in the current format, doing container magic and dynamic network binds is probably not going to help you.

The optimistic approach to goals CIG pumps out do not help with issues like this, but people will never really want to watch the sausage being made, no matter how enthusiastic they say they are about it.  - DRUM out

Its really tough these days.

Even Reddit has turned to a place where all criticism was being downvoted to a place that's not defending CIG anymore.

I fear if we don't get anything substantial soon things might get worse.

If they can't deliver either satisfying performance or Squadron42 within the next 2 years (which is probably true) I think they need a new strategy to keep the community happy. Current patches are not working keeping peoples happy for a multitude of reasons. One option they might have is to redo and polish Arena Commander and Star Marine. Even if that takes resources away it would actually prove to peoples they can deliver something roughly polished on a smaller scale.

Yes its not the best solution but I don't see an alternative. If they continue on the current path things could get very ugly before they get better.

I don't disagree but a roadmap like the one created for the PU would necessarily contain spoilers. Just information on the feature development state. It could create more drama than it help elevate though. Such as what is happening now with the bind culling topic. 

At the end of the day, it will be ready when it's ready but sometimes the community is holding its breath waiting for the "silver bullet" as so eloquently described by @Drum. Which seems to be self defeating at this point.

Ummm there are zero spoiler given for Sq42 on the roadmap which is only what is thought would have do and DOES have parts hidden too like mission types etc. Plus it says right when you go on to it (roadmap) about the fact that it is not gauranteed to make it.

Also they have clearly stated that both are two seprate games SC and Sq42. Look I know you are getting fustrates because of time. Going on 5 and a half years. However, you want it done right or have assed  done? Bind culling is just cleaning up there code reduce as much as they can thus cutting down on the ram useage.

I am of the mind that unless CIG publishes SQ42 by year's end, there will literally be Hell to pay.

Bind Culling is bad with LY because it is still CryEngine, I don't care what anybody says. That being said, CIG was able to take CE3 from 32-bit fpu to 64-bit fpu, that accomplishment was amazing codework. They'll be able to do the same with bind culling, they'll have an "A-HA" moment by the end of July, imho.

@Devil Khan Just to be clear, I of all people are not frustrated whatsoever. My concern is for the integrity of the company and the "games". More information leads to less speculation which we have seen usually manifests itself in negativity. I fully expect the development cycle to run somewhere in the realm of 10 years. Which is a long time to have people not knowing what the state of their dream game is and undoubtedly leads to scepticism. Cig has certainly stepped up their game in regards to information sharing but I do think they could do more. When you look back and see how things like, The Road To Citizencon, had a positive effect on the overall mood of the community you have to ask...why not do this more often.

8 hours ago, Juntau said:

When you look back and see how things like, The Road To Citizencon, had a positive effect on the overall mood of the community you have to ask...why not do this more often.

Because Road to CitizenCon was a response to people getting upset over CitizenCon and demanding answers for Squadron 42's absence.

It's in their best interest to make sure the bad doesn't happen in the first place.