The Expanse cancelled! Amazon have offically signed season 4

Devil Khan

God, It is a shame that they aren't renewing the show. I know that it hadn't the best viewership, but still the show had a great storyline, not as much as the GoT in space. Still there is some hope in the are shopping around for different networks and stream networks, but even though many of  a great shows, but streaming services didn't do so well EG X-files, arrested development etc etc. I hope do they at least give it a try.   

“We are very disappointed the show will not be returning to Syfy,” said Alcon Entertainment co-founders and co-CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. “We respect Syfy’s decision to end this partnership but given the commercial and critical success of the show, we fully plan to pursue other opportunities for this terrific and original IP.”

I don't think any online streaming service, such as Netflix or Amazon, given the success of The Expanse, will have any issue sponsoring the show. I do however have to think we may not be going in the same direction the writers wanted to go, and probably see a change of characters, probably even main characters.

Ya major bummer - I've enjoyed the show.   For those longing for an excellent Sci-Fi Series that lasted 5 seasons but a spin off series (in addition to many movie length shows) - check out Babylon 5 = Still holds up and is still my favorite Sci-Fi Genre series (yes even more so than Star Trek or Star Wars).

B5 except for the last season was great. Agreed with you on that. Had great potential, but they failed it on last season and script for the spin off was bad. 3 TV movies were pretty good except the one that was linked to the spinoff.

1 minute ago, Devil Khan said:

B5 except for the last season was great. Agreed with you on that. Had great potential, but they failed it on last season and script for the spin off was bad. 3 TV movies were pretty good except the one that was linked to the spinoff.

But the last season of B5 and even the Excalibur spin off are still superior in story telling, etc... than most Sci-Fi genres.    The big thing as you know with B5 is the Shadow War and no Sci-Fi genre to date has done anything even close to that epic story line (with god-like alien races).... tied together from Seasons 1-4....... not even the Borg with Star Trek compares in my mind (though I am still a big Trekie).

One other thing that you may not be aware of is that Star Trek Deep Space Nine is a DIRECT rip off of Babylon 5 - see video....

Welcome to Syfy, where creativity goes to be asphyxiated.

If Netflix or Amazon were smart they'd snatch the show up now and get a lot of people subscribing just to watch it.

If Syfy wants to be considered a serious contender in the cable TV space they need to start producing more quality content and STICKING BY IT if they want to be known as anything other than the "shark movie channel".

14 hours ago, J. Coren said:

If Syfy wants to be considered a serious contender in the cable TV space they need to start producing more quality content and STICKING BY IT if they want to be known as anything other than the "shark movie channel".

Yeah, this.  Any actual SciFi on SyFy has to be damn good to get me to watch, because they have a history of cancelling the best shows, or insisting on that show's worst episodes being made (the "stand alone" episodes of BSG).  The channel has been a joke for a long time and I was shocked to find out A) how good The Expanse was and B] that it was on SyFy instead of HBO, or even USA or TNT.  If I had an al la carte cable subscription (one was offered recently in my area), I would immediately be switching SyFy for something else just to send a message.

On 13/05/2018 at 1:53 AM, VoA said:

But the last season of B5 and even the Excalibur spin off are still superior in story telling, etc... than most Sci-Fi genres.    The big thing as you know with B5 is the Shadow War and no Sci-Fi genre to date has done anything even close to that epic story line (with god-like alien races).... tied together from Seasons 1-4....... not even the Borg with Star Trek compares in my mind (though I am still a big Trekie).

One other thing that you may not be aware of is that Star Trek Deep Space Nine is a DIRECT rip off of Babylon 5 - see video....

Don't get me started on arguably the best sapce opera ever seen on TV. Much of what we see in series long story arcs owes much to what was shown on B5.

12 hours ago, Booster Terrik said:

God how I hate it when shows get cancelled before they finish the story. I really liked the expanse novels and story line and even though I think the directors have made some sub-optimal casting choices it was a really nice series.

if the show was picked up with everyone but Steven Strait I would be a happy man.

He has less facial expression than a Jason Voorhees mask.

It's sad really. The show isn't being cancelled for lack of viewership but rather for lack of traditional TV viewership. 
This also clearly shows that traditional TV is dying. People just want to watch any time, anywhere and not have to wait for the next episode.

Fact is viewership of traditional channels will continue to drop and with that, traditional TV shows will get worst because channels simply won't have enough money to invest.

If this show was supported by Netflix or similar, it would turn out to be a lot more successful. 

It would be great if it was possible to watch the entire season in a row. 
And it would be great if it was available in 4K HDR. 

I hope they can save the show on time without loosing any of the people that was involved in this production.

There is still hope.

One last note. 
A good show is good forever. In the traditional TV model, they mostly only care about strong ratings in the first few days of release because they get a big chunk of their profits from ads. 
In streaming services, they care more about the long lasting popularity of a show because they know people subscribe to services that have strong show catalogs. 

True enough. I can't watch when it's on. And really how many people can or are willing to arrange their schedule around one show?   So I order the season on demand. SyFy should have arranged to distribute for streaming as that's why they aren't profiting by it. They only have first broadcast rights.

Rossie.  Fight me.

I placed orders for about $250 worth of stuff on Amazon, including pre-ordering The Expanse Season 3 on Blu Ray, when I heard the news. :)  They deserved a reward!

I did need new headphones though.