VoA

VTOL's vs Maneuvering Thrusters while landing / hovering

VTOL's vs Maneuvering Thrusters while landing / hovering - see 22:20m into video.   Very happy about this - basically ships without dedicated VTOL's like the Terrapin has or the Connie's vs ships that only have Maneuvering Thrusters - gives VTOL's a big advantage (for where / tear / fuel /etc....).

I doubt it'll be a major difference. The kinds of ships that wouldn't have VTOL are likely smaller ships that might not have trouble fighting against their own weight.

Where I can potentially see a difference is in hydrogen fuel consumption.

Just now, J. Coren said:

I doubt it'll be a major difference. The kinds of ships that wouldn't have VTOL are likely smaller ships that might not have trouble fighting against their own weight.

Where I can potentially see a difference is in hydrogen fuel consumption.

eh..... watch what he says again - its not just efficiency (and maneuverability)..... and wear and tear on the thrusters..... but other things like coolers, etc...   I personally think CIG will play this up big time to emphasize the value of VTOL's even more (which will make people want to buy more ships) ;)

I have a Caterpillar and it doesn't have VTOL's like my Phoenix does as an example.   Try "hovering" a Hull C......... vs using a Hercules to hover........ there will be big differences.

Smaller ships as well - but I agree the lighter the ship the less wear / tear/  fuel consumption...

1 minute ago, VoA said:

eh..... watch what he says again - its not just efficiency (and maneuverability)..... and wear and tear on the thrusters..... but other things like coolers, etc...   I personally think CIG will play this up big time to emphasize the value of VTOL's even more (which will make people want to buy more ships) ;)

The kinds of ships that lack dedicated VTOL are generally smaller than a Freelancer and tend to be more aerodynamically shaped. Almost everything else has some dedicated vertical or oscillating engines that assist in landing and take off (when that kind of shit is implemented). The ships lacking VTOL capabilities are probably not going to be using their maneuvering thrusters often in flight because they'll be putting out adequate thrust to maintain lift. That is unless they're hovering in place.

Unless they severely limit the thrust:weight ratios on smaller non-VTOL ships then I don't see this affecting the game's meta much aside from some small cost from extended in-atmosphere flight.

20 minutes ago, J. Coren said:

The kinds of ships that lack dedicated VTOL are generally smaller than a Freelancer and tend to be more aerodynamically shaped.

Not True.... here are plenty of large ships without dedicated VTOL's that would have to use Maneuvering thrusters to land and stay a lot (and use a lot of fuel / wear-tear on the thrusters, coolers, etc....)

1. Starfarer + Gemini
  2. Caterpillar
  3. Merchantman
  4. 890j
  5. Carrack
  6. Hull A-D (don't think a Hull E can land)
  7. Orion (don't think it is intended to land on a planet anyway so this may not count)
  8. Endeavor
  9. Crucible
  10. Polaris
  11. 600i
  12. Hammerhead

@PowerWagonKevin corrected me.... apparently VTOL thrusters have "recently" (don't know how recent) to some of the larger ships (the ship matrix now shows them - but not for all of them yet).   I think some will be more suitable to planetary landings than others even with VTOL's (example the VTOL fans on the Connies and Starliner should be more efficient)

Interesting topic.  Perhaps the VTOL feature will be what finally differentiates ships that can hover easily vs. those that probably should not be so great at it.  Very large ships hovering long with non-VTOL-optimized maneuvering thrusters probably should burn fuel at an unacceptable rate doing it.  

Exactly @Sky Captain :)

I've been saying for the past couple weeks now that I think Planet-side Game-Play will dominate SC far earlier than Inter-Stellar game-play will........ and VTOL's will be a big thing in efficient Planet-Side play..... including ships specifically designed for "in-atmosphere" game-play..... like the Hercules (which many seem down on - but I think many simply just don't understand) === See my latest post <<<--- Link