Voice Attack and HCS voice packs

Gremlich

Voice attack can run WITHOUT HCS voice packs. there's a video below that shows how.

This is a restart of potential tools for Star Citizen considering CIG is likely finally and fairly close to having a standard and stable list of commands with 3.0. In this case, Voice Attack and HCS voice packs. Currently, Voice Attack and HCS voice packs are optimized for Elite for obvious reasons. (pssst, it's a Game)

I am not a shill. I do, however, use both Voice Attack with an HCS voice pack or two. They are very useful if you want to put in the time, which, considering that we're still in Alpha, we've got plenty of time. Current, Voice attack can be had for Free and for $10 for the full-featured version. Buy it. regardless if you think, right now, that you'll never use it. You needn't purchase a voice pack from HCS if you don't want to, the standard voices for windows 10 work just fine. You'll have to play with it more if you don't get a pre-made voice pack. Several well knowns have provided voice talent to HCS: John DeLancie, Bill Shatner, Bret Spiner, Kate Russell, Brian Blessed, Tom Baker (yes, THAT Tom Baker)

Voice attack - https://voiceattack.com/

VA videos from TheNOOOBIFIER1337: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=voice+attack+thenoobifier1337

HCS Voice packs: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

HCS forums post with SC profiles to use: http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum/star-citizen-support/20438-keeping-up-with-star-citizen

HCS videos which also have VA videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoLyWh8gXnO9BO35sB48eOg

first tutorial to watch:

There are some threads in Spectrum you can check out, some backers can provide you with a profile in case you aren't comfortable making one yourself.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50172/thread/voice-attack-tutorials

ASTRA'S MANUAL STAR CITIZEN - START HERE.pdf

an example of an Elite Dangerous profile with dual joysticks: 

coming soon - "Singularity" a profile that will allow you to assign different voices to different crew roles.

• 1 month later...

BTW, the Event Horizon feature will support up to 6 different HCS voicepacks for the same number of crew positions (I'd wait until they have a sale, sometimes you'll get BOGO.

here are the voices available: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collections/star-citizen

Number One

Helm

Operations

Tactical

Science

Engineering

To assign them, you state "Crew Command Roster" wait for the whistle, then state "crewman [voicepack name here, like "Eden"]", you'll hear an acknowledgement from that voice, then you state the position you want that crewman in. You'll get an ack from that character. Rinse - repeat until you have the positions you want filled. (Noobifier1337's Event Horizon video demonstrates this)

OR, you state "Crew Command Roster" then state "assign me a new crew" and it will assign who you have to a position, some twice or more if you only have a few voicepacks. This can be random and won't use all of your available voicepacks.

OR, you state "Crew Command Roster" then state "assign someone random to [a position], and it'll do it. Again, some voices might not be used.

• 2 months later...

Make sure that when you install voice attack (NOT the beta) and any of the HCS voicepacks install files -- "Run as Administrator"

(there are tutorials, but rarely they are written for a player, skilled user, yes, but not a player, IMHO)

after you've unzipped and installed your voicepack(s), Launch Voice Attack (make sure you "Run as administrator")

To get your profile started, you can create your own, or, to start using Event Horizon, import one instance of SC:event horizon.vap. 

(On the voiceattack gui, you'll see the word "Profile" with a space to its right, then you'll see a box with a pencil and then an icon with the "x" "+" and reply arrow. Click that last icon and select "import profile". Navigate to program files (x86)/VoiceAttack/Sounds and go to the desired voicepack. Look for the "profile" folder, you should see  "SC: Event Horizon.vap", if not, drill down another level. double click it when you find it. BTW, if you select the box with the pencil icon, a window will present that has commands, sounds, etc for that profile that you can actually edit.)

Once you've imported it, I recommend exiting the program then re-launching it. You should see something like this IF you've installed everything correctly and imported SC: Event Horizon.vap

state "crew command roster", you'll hear a bosun's whistle. Next state "Crewman [voicepack name here]", you'll get a response, then you state "Number One".

Then if you want, each position can be filled in the same fashion. Agains, there are six positions: Number One, Operations, Helm, Tactical, Science, Engineering

MARS is a cheap really basic almost Dalek sounding voicepack at 6GBP, great for tactical or to try a voicepack out without spending 10-14 GBP yet.

current SC voicepacks: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collections/star-citizen

Sometimes HCS has a BOGO event or 5GBP off sale.

initialaizing.jpg

• 1 month later...

HCS claims that installing as "Run as Administrator" is unnecessary. Also, I used IObit System care, guess what, it deleted registry entries which required me to reinstall VA and the voicepacks. Watch out for this sort of "help" from your registry cleaners.

• 2 months later...

Very nice install assist and set up guide for VA Thanks Grem! Oh by the way I use IO Bit software and it does a great job and as you say the uninstaller software is very overactive just set it up for request permission first before deleting stuff. That should take care of that problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

some updates:

HCS's Singularity makes Voice Attack much easier to use wrt however many voices you have. 

I used to think I had to create a new profile in order to have a single voice for a given ship. Huzzah! I didn't need to. (my attempting this actually screwed up my voice attack, I had to reload the whole shebang - both VA and the voicepacks. Your experience may be different when importing/creating.)

Soooo, to fiddle with some of the VA features, with Voice Attack active, say the command "protocol override customize my settings" with no pauses! 

This command brings up an HCS Customizer window with a bunch of options for your HCS voicepacks. (see attached)

"Crew Favourites" (another attached screen shot) is where you can assign a specific voice or combination of voices for a given ship. My default #1 holds with six different voices (so I do not have to build a crew  whether randomly by having Number 1 do it or "manually"). You can also put one voice in all crew positions for a specific ship, like putting Eden in Favorites slot #2, Cleo in #3, Astra in group 4, etc.... You can create 10 different "Favorites" with up to 6 different voices each.

To select a favorite crew for a given ship, use the indicated command sequence by saying the following:
  1. "crew command roster"
  2. "assign all stations to crew favorite #", where # is the grouping of voices that you want for the ship you are in.
  3. If you're done, say "that is all"
when you want to choose a different favorite crew, do the same thing as above, just change the number to any voice grouping you created.  I purchased the Astra with personal responses pack and have that set in favorite crew #4 and it works fine, save for Phoenix butting in and responding to the query "what is your designation" instead of Astra. To avoid issues with the personal responses pack, I do not use Astra in a group unless I want her as Number 1.

In the tool, you can even change the balance of the voices to make them sound like they are coming from your left/leftish, right/rightish or default center. Make sure you do the voice recognition training.

2020-12-05 11_47_13-HCS Customiser.png

2020-12-05 11_58_18-HCS Ccrew favs.png

2020-12-05 12_46_58-assignments.png

you can also do the following to choose one voice pack for all stations:

"Crew command roster"

[ship whistle sounds]

"Crewman XXXXX" where XXXXX is the name of the desired voicepack

(crewman responds)

"take all stations"

(crewman responds)

"That is all"

[this closes the first command]