Ongoing Discussion Ryzen 7 2700X faster than 1700x and 1800X and CHEAPER

Gremlich

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3DMark Benchmarks Leaked, 18% Faster vs 1700X & 11% Faster vs 1800X

"It effectively replaces both the Ryzen 7 1700X and 1800X by delivering higher performance than the 1800X at a price cheaper than the 1700X."

Ryzen-7-2700X-leaked-3dmark-benchmark.pn

Ryzen-7-2700X-clock-speeds-3-740x353.png

related article: AMD Ryzen 2700/X & 2600/X Listed Online, Specs & Prices Confirmed – Launching April 19

This is good because the 2700x is just a refresh of the same architecture. That makes Zen 2 on 7nm a potentially game changing chip. But I hpe we all know better than to overhype things especially from AMD. I'll believe it when we have data like we have now for Zen+

Didn't see its all-core turbo yet but it looks about 10% faster than 1800X at stock settings.

If 2700X can't hold 4.3 overclocked on all cores, the difference might be less than 10% since 1800X stock all-core turbo is 3.7 and it easily overclocks to 4.0

It just might be that benchmarks are showing the changes to turbo and XFR and stuff.

I don't think it's a good upgrade for any Ryzen 1st gen owner(R5 1600 and up that is) unless it's absolutely necessary.

I'd probably wait for 7 nm 3rd gen at this point.

16 minutes ago, Brightmist said:

I don't think it's a good upgrade for any Ryzen 1st gen owner(R5 1600 and up that is) unless it's absolutely necessary.

yeah, If you have something that works, unless it doesn't work the way you want it to, don't upgrade. For someone like me, still with an FX-8350 system that works just fine, it would be a consideration. However, with new tech coming out all this year and RAM prices still in the shitter, I'm still waiting for 2019 to upgrade.

FX series are pretty ancient at this point. Eventho it has high enough clockspeeds, its IPC is way below most things.

RAM price fixing is really annoying but if you want to pull the trigger on an upgrade, I'd say just go for it. It's a good time to upgrade with new gen Ryzen CPUs and new gen Nvidia cards. No clue when Nvidia is gonna launch its new cards tho.

Thing with Ryzen is you can just buy it whenever these days since AMD is probably gonna be slashing prices to gain marketshare every year. You can buy a new gen Ryzen CPU for about 70% of its MSRP every year around Black Friday. It's actually nice since Intel CPUs are almost never on sale and old gens are sold at MSRP because there's no stock.

new article

AMD-Ryzen-2700X-2600-Arithmetic-Native.p

AMD-Ryzen-2700X-2600-Inter-Core-Latency.

AMD-Ryzen-2700X-2600-Inter-Core-Transfer

wccftech Cores/Threads Base Turbo TDP DDR4 Spec Cooler MSRP
Ryzen 7 2700X 8/16 3.7 GHz 4.35 GHz 105W 2933 MHz Wraith Prism $369
Ryzen 7 2700 8/16 3.2 GHz 4.1 GHz 65W 2933 MHz Wraith Spire $299
Ryzen 5 2600X 6/12 3.6 GHz 4.25 GHz 95W 2933 MHz Wraith Spire $249
Ryzen 5 2600 6/12 3.4 GHz 3.9 GHz 65W 2933 MHz Wraith Stealth $199

5 minutes ago, Rhehaud180 said:

Maybe MSRP? B&H Photo has them for $358.89

Could be. Maybe they're saving the 8700K comparison for the 2800X. But even then, it's stupid to use 2 generations old hardware for comparisons.

20 hours ago, Caldon said:

Could be. Maybe they're saving the 8700K comparison for the 2800X. But even then, it's stupid to use 2 generations old hardware for comparisons.

Kinda but Kaby lake is only a minor refinement over Skylake. And seeing how Skylake and Kabe have better single core performance over coffee maybe thats why?

They should of tested with kaby from IPC perspective though but would have been a really small increase.

1 hour ago, Basard said:

Kinda but Kaby lake is only a minor refinement over Skylake. And seeing how Skylake and Kabe have better single core performance over coffee maybe thats why?

They should of tested with kaby from IPC perspective though but would have been a really small increase.

Still, Coffee Lake is the current competition, so not using it for reference is strange.

• 3 weeks later...

qVPEXXa.png

This is the result of an early RAM overclock with an immature BIOS, showing 3600+ frequency on RAM with tight Cas 14 timings on a R5 2600X. Shows up to 15% RAM latency reduction compared to 1st gen Ryzen with improved RAM overclock capability.

AMD seems to have taken user feedback to heart and improved upon their IMC compared to last gen Zen.

Frequency improvements of the new process doesn't seem that good at this point but RAM latency reduction should impact gaming performance nicely.

I think when it comes down to it, it will be beneficial to build an AMD CPU based computer and perhaps stick an Intel GPU since both companies seem to be working closely together now. If you're confused, here's a a couple of articles explaining some things:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/11/17/how-much-could-nvidia-be-impacted-by-intel-amd-partnership/#6484c136ad64

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/intel-poaches-amds-top-gpu-architect-to-build-its-own-discrete-graphics-chips/

The 8700K isn't even on the BF1 benchmark lol.

But this looks great - means Intel needs to step up their game again. The CPU market can become exciting again! Maybe Intel will slap a competetive price on 8700K's and on the 9700K which will feature 8 cores to really get themselves back into the HEDT race.

Hoping the 2800x is AMD's 12c 24t CPU and can be OC'd just as well as the 2700x. I think that will be the ultimate CPU, and it will definitely be competitively priced again Intel. If you have an AMD CPU and Intel Discreet Graphics that might be the perfect pair for Star Citizen, or any game really. I can't imagine a more perfect combo, even more than Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, Boildown said:

Intel GPU?  I'm somewhere between, "you're out of your goddamn mind" and "I'll believe it when I see it".  It will not be a high or mid-range performance part.

I believe it will cater to everyone, low, med and high. Your assumptions are quite... Unique. 

Computerbase shows 2700x edging out 8700k (both at stock freq.) here and there with a nice RAM overclock and thightened secondary timings @1080p using a 1080Ti.

https://i.imgur.com/EjFllPb.png

https://i.imgur.com/MogzVU7.png

Ryzen+ is OK, 3rd gen should be better.

If they release a 2800x, it'd be 8c/16t, best binned Ryzen+ chips pretty much. Don't expect much, maybe 4.4-4.45 1-2 core turbo at stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...