Build help TM T.Flight Hotas X

SpectreSC

Hey all,

So I've got a T.Flight Hotas X and I was curious if anyone else uses this setup that could give me an idea of their profile/keymapping? What other tools do you use for functionality in SC with your setup, if any?

I feel like the stick itself is too stiff or too loose no matter what I do, and I feel like I have deadzones as well. Trying to figure out what I can do to fix that besides getting a new stick+throttle combo.

I don't think I will be of much help here but I initially tried using a T.Flight Hotas X myself. The short of it was that it felt like an impossible stick to work with. No matter what I tried the stick just felt too sluggish and unresponsive. Trying to aim with any precision was impossible for me as it seems to have a massive deadzone while just flying around was pretty hard. The grip felt very nice though and apparently a lot of people like to use it for Elite Dangerous. But that might be because those ships 'fly' like they are moving through mud anyway and all weapons seem to be auto-targetting gimbals. :D 

So you may wish to look for a better alternative and I've seen that a lot of people love the Thrustmaster T.16000M. It's very affordable and apparently very reliable and durable.:)

Hope someone else can chime in that has more knowledge regarding these flightsticks. But for me I just gave up on the T.Flight Hotas X and went with a full set of CH gear (CH combat stick, CH pro throttle and CH pro pedals). :P

Pedals are wonderful. I see a throttle as a hindrance. I dont know anyone who actually uses the throttle in game. We map thrust to an axis instead. You might be able to do this with a throttle...but essentially you would have a joystick with only one axis.

I know a lot of top players using the 16000 thrustmaster. It feels cheap in your hand, lacks the buttons and build quality of the warthog...but it is inexpensive, and good enough.  I have one and I use it well. I mean it is not fancy like my warthog...but the 16000 is better for a left hand stick, and the best on the market today for that role in my opinion. The CH sticks are great too but lack swivels as far as I recall.

Just keep in mind that if you want to play with all movement axis on gradient control inputs, you will need 6 input sources. This is usually at least one stick with a swivel (like the thrust master 1600) while using pedals and a third controller (traditional stick or mouse). Likewise you could use two sticks with swivels and plenty of other solutions. 

Star Citizen in unconventional in its accurate thrust and ship movement.  It makes conventional flight controls a poor fit :(

I actually did take a look at the T.16000M and I'm considering that as an alternative, the Warthog is definitely nice and it has great build quality as well but that's probably a setup I'll have to save for when I start my new PC build, haha.

I actually use the Z-Axis on my T.Flight for throttle and it works pretty well, after some fixing of my own of course, so I feel like the T.16000M would be a pretty comfortable replacement for me. Good to know I wasn't the only one who had issues with this Hotas though and I've also done literally just about everything I could to make it work but it's just a really sluggish stick for SC. I ended up using my mouse for combat and precision instead of the joystick itself, which I really only use for flying around out of combat because it lacks the precision you need, I'll probably store it away for a different PC setup eventually :lol: 

Thanks for the advice guys! 

Edit: Went ahead and bought that T.16000M and I'm excited to see how it'll work. ;) 

Been eyeing the T.16000M myself for a bit now, thinking of ordering one.  I have an old joystick I bought back in the late 90's--still works!  But I want something updated.  I may still use it as a second stick if needed for Star Citizen's flight model.

Let me know how the T.16000M works for you!  I've also heard good things about it, so I'm about to pull the trigger...

9 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

Been eyeing the T.16000M myself for a bit now, thinking of ordering one.  I have an old joystick I bought back in the late 90's--still works!  But I want something updated.  I may still use it as a second stick if needed for Star Citizen's flight model.

Let me know how the T.16000M works for you!  I've also heard good things about it, so I'm about to pull the trigger...

Will do! I should have it in today and I plan on setting it up and making sure I've configured it right for a good test run in Arena Commander/PU :) 

@Buckaroo After putting in a few hours with the T.16000M I can definitely say it's a great upgrade from a T.Flight Hotas X and the setup itself is efficient and isn't as stiff/horrid as my old setup. I still have to setup keybinds that work for me and I'm running it as a Stick+Throttle combo so it may be different than what you decide on. I've got no complaints so far.

45 minutes ago, XLB said:

I don't know if my word will help anyone decide, but t16000 is the best stick for its price. I will always recommend a dual stick setup if you get sticks at all. Here is what I do in AC https://www.twitch.tv/videos/160768048

I've never actually considered or tried a dual stick setup but I wouldn't be against trying it out! It looks like this is how I lose my dogfights in AC all the time since its so much easier to have strafe binds on a second stick than on a throttle button, etc. Awesome kills by the way!

2.6.3 was mastering G-safe off, manage gforces, Maneuvering well, and aiming for the cockpit. You do those things, you were bound to compete for top. Right now is not the time for combat. 3.0 is absolutely trash. ESP and IFCS is being worked on, wait for that to be done. Hopefully it changes it for the better

Definitely will wait for those changes before I head into AC and compete like before. I heard they removed the Goat Faint (Greyout?) and from the comparison videos flying looks a lot less creative/challenging and ESP seems to be way too good at assisting than it should be.

I've noticed something odd about my new setup... sometimes out of the blue I'll start going into a death spiral spin and no matter what I do, moving the mouse, joystick, throttle, etc.. nothing stops it short of exiting any game I'm playing. I think it may have something to do with there now being two joystick inputs instead of one. Anyone have ideas on what could be causing this?

I can think of two reasons you might be having problems now.  Duel joysticks setups do often have problems with windows confusing the sticks. This could be the source of your problem. Another bug going on now seems to be related to disruption damage, where it will not dissipate. If you are in pirate swarm where these problems occur I would suspect the later, outside of that doing anything else I would suspect joystick problems.

10 minutes ago, Scotterius said:

I can think of two reasons you might be having problems now.  Duel joysticks setups do often have problems with windows confusing the sticks. This could be the source of your problem. Another bug going on now seems to be related to disruption damage, where it will not dissipate. If you are in pirate swarm where these problems occur I would suspect the later, outside of that doing anything else I would suspect joystick problems.

I suspect it's the first due the fact that this also occurs while playing Escape From Tarkov if I have them plugged in. I have to unplug them to even play that game or else I just spawn in and perpetually spin in one direction. Fighting back with any of the joysticks does nothing but fighting back with the mouse does and I have to constantly play tug of war just to see anything or move anywhere.

It doesn't happen all the time with SC though, just out of the blue once or twice so far and usually when exiting a seat or turret in a ship.

Well sorting out the sticks will be tricky and there might not be permanent fixes available today. I would check out AotW discord and ask there. They have a lot of dual stick players and helpful players from other groups also follow the discord. With the state star citizen is in they would likely be happy to have something to talk about besides misery :)

https://discord.gg/6JF6rxh

16 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

I went ahead and bought the Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS (delivered earlier today), and loaded the configuration someone on the RSI forums put together.  Works very well!  Still getting the hang of it, but have missed playing with a joystick in space sims.

Glad you're liking it so far! It definitely works like a charm and I solved my little issue I had as well so no complaints anymore.

I'm actually using that exact config from Spectrum with a few adjustments I made of my own. Pretty smooth setup overall!