Aegis Vulcan - Multi Profession 'Starter' Ship

Danakar Endeel

1 hour ago, Aethio said:

Alright, I know I say this about most ships that I see in this entire game, but anyone considering this as a good exploration vessel? Yes, everything can be exploration if you really really really really want it to, but this one features external fuel tanks, repair drones if the ship gets damaged in deepspace, cargo capacity for any finds on the ground (and exploration vehicles) and the ability to rearm weapons...

Plus it actually has decent living quarters! (cough cough looking at you Terrapin my love)

It's possible, and if the drones used by the Carrack are of the same type as these BARD drones you might even be able to do swap some of them out. Main thing I foresee that the Vulcan would be lacking are specialized scanners and/or additional computer systems. Although who knows, you might simply be able to replace the generic scanning blade on the ship for a different one that's geared more towards explorer stuff. :)

So yeah, you should be able to use it for exploration. Wouldn't be as good as a specialized vehicle out-of-the-box but we'll have to see how much customization options in terms of ship systems CIG will offer. After all, the 315P was said to be an explorer too but that one doesn't seem to have much going for it in terms of specialized equipment either. ;)

9 hours ago, Aethio said:

Alright, I know I say this about most ships that I see in this entire game, but anyone considering this as a good exploration vessel? Yes, everything can be exploration if you really really really really want it to, but this one features external fuel tanks, repair drones if the ship gets damaged in deepspace, cargo capacity for any finds on the ground (and exploration vehicles) and the ability to rearm weapons...

Plus it actually has decent living quarters! (cough cough looking at you Terrapin my love)

We don't know enough about the exploration mechanics to give a definitive answer, but I think what actually will make the difference are the sensors on your ship, as well as the fuel capacity. The description of the Carrack says the ship has a "mapping-oriented sensor suite", whatever that means is anyone's guess right now. Looking at how CIG sets up the technical overview on ships, I'm guessing sensor effectiveness will be a combination of Radar and Computers.

I doubt a Vulcan will be as effective as a exploration ship as, lets say, a Terapin or a Freelancer DUR. I'm wondering the same thing about how effective my Reclaimer will be compared to a dedicated explorer such as the top-exploration-dog, the Anvil Carrack.  Obviously, the Carrack should come out on top but I expect both ships to have some overlap in this field. Likely while both ships will have long-range scanners, we’ll have scanners which are set up for different roles, where the Reclaimer’s would potentially be tuned more for cross-section and EM signatures.

Exploration is likely to come somewhere next year(?) as CIG has stated that it wouldn't make much sense to add exploration mechanics without at least having one fully fleshed out star system available.

I understand why people think it's fun to figure out a alternative function for ships but I am of the mindset that, if you want to go for a certain profession, get a ship that's designed for that purpose. There a some ships that claim to be a jack-of-all-trades but supposedly these ships won't be as effective.

• 2 weeks later...

also, one thing why all aircraft have parachutes, don't jump in the engine exhaust :D. For realistic I'd swap the drone bay with the "living quarters", but this isn't realistic.    

Another how do you reload the drones when your ammo supply is not accessible directly :D. I supposed you could bring them over to the lift and thru your quarters, but still it would be more "sensible" to have the drone bay at the rear. Again it's not cinematic heh.  

On 3/5/2018 at 7:50 AM, Fizzlefuse said:

I understand why people think it's fun to figure out a alternative function for ships but I am of the mindset that, if you want to go for a certain profession, get a ship that's designed for that purpose. There a some ships that claim to be a jack-of-all-trades but supposedly these ships won't be as effective.

CIG will be very mindful and reluctant to produce a "Swiss-Army Knife" I win ship. For that reason, I will gleefully crap on very fanciful design suggestions for ships.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is a strange pledge story.... if you have seen my previous posts on the Vulcan - I mentioned that it was one of CIG's new concept ships that I think actually needs a Buff (it has too small of cargo hold I think for a Re-supply / Repair ship) (it has too small of an extra fuel storage container to be an effective re-fueler - yes I know it is only suppose to relate to a gas can amount but it is still ridiculously small).

Well..... I have this "thing" for gettng good deals with the packages (since they give you free extra UEC and an extra Multi-Package NPC - worth around $15) + they usually give you a cost discount vs buying the ships individually.   In the Spoiler are my current packages now... (of which I've CCU'd a number of the individual ships as well within the packages)

Spoiler

.... and the PACKAGE - ENTREPRENEUR PACK

is a great way to pick up the Vulcan if you didn't get around to picking up the Vulcan (or like me wasn't originally inspired by it) - strange how Pledges evolve huh ;)

Another late and unhelpful Q&A from CIG:

Q&A: Drake Vulture

Why do the Concept Ship Q&A's take 3 weeks now when they originally only took 1 week? Just because CIG has lengthened the Concept Sale period from 1-2 weeks to 4+ weeks, they take their sweet time releasing the Q&A.

4 of the 13 questions were about the Vulture's pitiful 12 SCU of cargo. I understand that was a hot topic, but why was it necessary to burn 3 more questions on that one issue? And some of the answers were basically "see above".

So many people harped on the Vulture's limited cargo capacity that CIG acknowledged that they MIGHT increase the Vulture's limited cargo capacity during the ship development phase. But they also admitted that, instead, they might reduce the Prospector's cargo capacity, to bring down to the Vulture's level, so it isn't so superior. So CIG might nerf Prospector because they screwed up the Vulture's design.

CIG also admitted that the Vulture was originally intended to focus on salvaging ship components, but they changed to design to focus on scrapping instead, which is why the Vulture has those ugly pontoons and the "scraper beams" to digest ships, which the massive Reclaimer salvage ship inexplicably doesn't have. That's a bullshit explanation because salvaging components seems like a complete afterthought for the Vulture, which requires the pilot to go EVA, use a handheld multi-tool to manually remove a component, and carry it back to the Vulture. That's something that any ship with a cargo hold can do! A Cutlass Black can do that, arguably better, because it has 46 SCU of cargo, a tractor beam to pull items into the cargo hold, and is a multi-crew ship, so someone can fly the ship, one or more people can go EVA to retrieve components, and one can operate the tractor beam. IMO, if you want to SALVAGE instead of scrap, you should just get a Cutlass Black, which is also cheaper than the Vulture!

It goes without saying that I'm not a fan of the Vulture. I think it's the worth designed ship that CIG has ever released, both from aesthetic and technical aspects. And even if I ignore the EVE Venture rip-off controversy, the Vulture still looks like a super-sized Drake Dragonfly, so it's unbearably derivative.

I suppose it's good that CIG released the Reclaimer as the first dedicated salvage ship because if they introduced the salvaging profession using the Vulture I don't think anyone would've been interested in it. If anything, CIG should rebrand the Vulture as being a dedicated scrapper ship, not a salvage ship.

I think CIG should work on a salvage variant model of the Cutlass instead, which would have robotic arms and cutting lasers, which would enable it to salvage components from derelict ships without requiring the crew to EVA.