Jump to content
Admiral Max

Role of Hammerhead?

Recommended Posts

 

On 2/8/2018 at 8:56 PM, Admiral Max said:

Hey all :) Who is curious as to what role the Hammerhead gunship will have in our military branch and activities :D???

 

Its funny you ask. I created a couple posts on how I envision the Hammerhead's use. More so how I intend to use them. Take a read...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SpectreSC said:

I definitely agree with everyone else here though, it's an escort ship/anti-fighter vessel for sure. It'd make a great escort for an Idris and it's got a pretty beefy arsenal to boot as well.

Personally, I can't wait to see the larger ships in the verse.  I'd like to see a battlegroup composed of an Idris, two Polarii, and four Hammerheads with about 6-9 fighters. The Idris can hold three or four fighters that are Hornet or Gladius size. So at a minimum three or four fighters will be on alert and docked inside the Idris. Those can be used as reserves or they can swap out with the deployed fighters so they can return to the Idris to rearm, refuel and repair. There would an almost constant rotation of fighters docking and taking off. Almost like an aircraft carrier in a naval battlegroup.

Since tanks are now a thing, This same battlegroup could be versatile enough help mobilize ground forces on a planet. Just think, ten or twenty tanks loaded up in an Idris. The two Polarii acting as large troop carriers and the the Hammerheads providing overhead coverage while the Idris and Polarii are landed with troops and vehicles that are being disembarked.  

Oh! Let's not forget that the Hammerhead can also carry a single vehicle the size of an Ursa Rover. So there's that addition as well. And it doesn't have to be a rover... There are other grind vehicles that are around the same size or smaller that would be more useful to assist the ground troops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zarian said:

Personally, I can't wait to see the larger ships in the verse.  I'd like to see a battlegroup composed of an Idris, two Polarii, and four Hammerheads with about 6-9 fighters. The Idris can hold three or four fighters that are Hornet or Gladius size. So at a minimum three or four fighters will be on alert and docked inside the Idris. Those can be used as reserves or they can swap out with the deployed fighters so they can return to the Idris to rearm, refuel and repair. There would an almost constant rotation of fighters docking and taking off. Almost like an aircraft carrier in a naval battlegroup.

Since tanks are now a thing, This same battlegroup could be versatile enough help mobilize ground forces on a planet. Just think, ten or twenty tanks loaded up in an Idris. The two Polarii acting as large troop carriers and the the Hammerheads providing overhead coverage while the Idris and Polarii are landed with troops and vehicles that are being disembarked.  

Oh! Let's not forget that the Hammerhead can also carry a single vehicle the size of an Ursa Rover. So there's that addition as well. And it doesn't have to be a rover... There are other grind vehicles that are around the same size or smaller that would be more useful to assist the ground troops.

Yeah I myself can't wait either for the larger ships to hit the 'Verse. When we finally get to put theory into practice and visualize battlegroups in actual space I'll be in awe :lol: 

I like the idea of incorporating a Hammerhead as a multi-role escort vessel into an Idris battlegroup, like you mentioned above, because the Hammerhead is versatile enough to perform in a variety of screening roles for the group. A good assortment of torpedoes/missiles and close range weapons/turrets theoretically implies that a Hammerhead will be able to fend off multiple sorties of fighters for a good amount of time, enough for the main group to launch fighters or scatter. 

Plus you've nailed it right on the head with ground support, it can't fit much in the way of vehicles but it definitely can provide covering fire. :D

(Definitely can't wait to get my own Hammerhead :P)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SpectreSC said:

Yeah I myself can't wait either for the larger ships to hit the 'Verse. When we finally get to put theory into practice and visualize battlegroups in actual space I'll be in awe :lol: 

I like the idea of incorporating a Hammerhead as a multi-role escort vessel into an Idris battlegroup, like you mentioned above, because the Hammerhead is versatile enough to perform in a variety of screening roles for the group. A good assortment of torpedoes/missiles and close range weapons/turrets theoretically implies that a Hammerhead will be able to fend off multiple sorties of fighters for a good amount of time, enough for the main group to launch fighters or scatter. 

Plus you've nailed it right on the head with ground support, it can't fit much in the way of vehicles but it definitely can provide covering fire. :D

(Definitely can't wait to get my own Hammerhead :P)

I've got eight. You can crew one of mine or command one in scenerios like this 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zarian said:

I've got eight. You can crew one of mine or command one in scenerios like this 😊

Haha and I'd be honored to have that privilege! I can't wait to see more concept and actual in game assets for the Hammerhead later this year. :) 

I think as a fleet we should start preparing for things like fleet movement and coordination so we can identify exactly how to use these ships in the near future. Mock fleet missions escorting precious "cargo" on a Starfarer/Hull variant from A to B. Or other ideas along those lines! Never hurts to be prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree!  Of everything this game promises to be, the one thing I want them to do is follow through with allowing all players to be on a single server. That presents so many opportunities and gaming implications that would make this universe really come alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

Just use the number to indicate plurals, so, "two Polaris" is acceptable grammar

Quoted the wrong guy there! :P

2 hours ago, Zarian said:

I completely agree!  Of everything this game promises to be, the one thing I want them to do is follow through with allowing all players to be on a single server. That presents so many opportunities and gaming implications that would make this universe really come alive.

Definitely. I'm looking forward to the rest of this year and crossing my fingers that CIG keeps to their roadmap. Looks like we'll see a hefty expansion to all systems and the Hammerhead being introduced means we'll be able to practice all this in real time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

This might be linked to bind culling. I mean, it's all linked, but you know what I mean, I hope.

Yes, I'd think so too and last I heard they had to delay the latest push for bind culling because of some issue. Not too sure on the specifics there but that implies we might not see a single server that "holds" all of us for a bit longer.

 

10 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

We should have a Hammerhead Pirate Hunting Party (HPHP) some day where we just bring as many of our Hammerheads as possible and just go hunting pirates all day. :P 

This. I am definitely on board for some pirate hunting in Hammerheads! Make them run in fear, haha :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

We should have a Hammerhead Pirate Hunting Party (HPHP) some day where we just bring as many of our Hammerheads as possible and just go hunting pirates all day. :P 

That would be fun! I'd also be in favor of a Vanduul hunting party! No Operation Pitchfork though. We'd have to gather a great deal of detail before undertaking that level of assault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to illustrate. The ship at the center is a Carrack, but will act as an Idris for this illustration (since the site hasn't been updated, yet). Then of course, the pair of Polaris on either side and the four Hammerheads as perimeter defense (displayed by Retaliators).

5a942f6961878_tactical-plan(2).thumb.png.c7d66d4c0c8475329ac0e74cf3130377.png

The fighters could take up a number of defensive positions, but for these purposes, lets just keep it simple. All fighters will be Gladius' since we haven't been able to confirm if or how many Hornets can fit in an Idris. 
5a9431cdc8f92_tactical-plan(3).thumb.png.6f0b9ad4ffb85aeb31226fb0ce6724e7.png

The site I used to help illustrate is: http://u-tec.yefec.com/#/welcome
Hopefully the creator or moderator will update it to encompass the newer ships in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×