Jump to content
Danakar Endeel

My new Star Citizen gaming PC is here!

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is the right subforum but I just wanted to share my new gaming PC that I've built. After my old one was really showing its age (i5 2500k with 8GB RAM) and having issues where it would randomly decide to shut down on me and forcing me onto a crummy laptop for a week I felt it was time to get something new which would also provide me with the means to actually play Squadron 42 and Star Citizen at some point. :P

Here is the list of components that I used and some pictures :) 

  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
  • Intel Core i7-8700K
  • Corsair Hydro H115i
  • Corsair 32GB DDR4-3000 Vengeance RGB (2x16)
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC Strix Gaming 11G
  • Corsair Carbide Clear 400C White
  • Corsair AX860 PSU
  • Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB SSD
  • Corsair ML120 Premium - Twin Pack
  • Corsair ML140 Premium - Twin Pack

Picture of all the components prior to unpacking and assembly

Manuel-PC1.thumb.jpg.38dc312ad8e6c03d33cf0b3c2d5efd13.jpg

It was a tight fit due to the midsize case but I was able to fit everything properly. I replaced the original casefan and the ones for the radiator with the ML fans.

Manuel-PC2.thumb.jpg.ded8db3648f3c8ee786b3556b8794ea9.jpg

 

And here's the end-result! I wanted to go with an Aegis Avenger theme and I believe it worked out great B)

Manuel-PC3.thumb.jpg.220ff544fc1a7fea58605f9a7f88f217.jpg

I got the Aegis decal from a site called Redbubble :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sackenhaus said:

Sharp looking rig Quicksilver! When deciding to build it, what were your concerns or cost points in choosing the components?

Well, I had saved up about €3000 over the years so that was the target marker for me. I also wanted a powerful rig to allow me to play SC+SQ42 reasonably well and it needed to consist of mainly ASUS and Corsair components. I had already been keeping tabs on ASUS and Corsair stuff for over a year and was already eyeing that white case from Corsair and the 'armor' ASUS MBs had on some of their older Z270 Sabretooth and TUFF lineups. So I first selected the components based on aesthetics before cross-checking to see if they were actually good or if there were any issues with my visual approach. Fortunately lots of reviews and YouTube videos helped me a lot there.  :P

For instance; initially I wanted to go with the Maximus X Formula until I found out that one was designed more with custom water loops in mind. As I wasn't going for custom loop I had no use for that mainboard but the Core had similar aesthetics and 'armor' but had regular cooling fins instead of a block in the top left. And it was also around €50 cheaper than the Formula. :)

So with all the 'best-in-slot' (kinda) components selected I came to around €2850 including VAT and a fresh Win10 license. I also ordered all my components from 1 store so I wasn't really hunting around for deals and it made it easier to get overnight shipping to get everything delivered at the same time. I just wanted a powerful new gaming rig after my old one died and had money burning a hole in my pocket. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

Hardware would have been more appropriate, but computers are what run SC, so, maybe.

Whoops, didn't see any Hardware forum at first but now I see it's actually a subforum of Multimedia & IT. :D

Doesn't appear that I can move this thread myself though so maybe a moderator could do it if they feel it would be better over there? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow! Looks amazing. I love the decal. Aegis is indeed the superior manufacturer. ;)

And the hardware looks like just what you'll need for a while to come. Just think about those juicy frames once they get the server-side optimization in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juntau said:

Very nice, very clean. My kind of build. It should be a beast!

Yeah, I didn't want to go overboard with disco lights screaming at me everywhere and wanted a more subtle case that still had some lighting but not too much. Same with cable management where I routed all I could through the back so I'd have the least amount of visible wires and maximize airflow :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gallitin said:

Looks good!  Makes me want to build my next one again vs buying a prebuilt, thanks for sharing. 

Yeah, the store I bought the components at could build it for me as an additional service but it would cost me €75 plus €10 shipping and the customer support lady told me it could take 2-3 weeks depending on how busy their assembly department was. :wacko:

Ordering the components separately and building it myself saved me €75, free shipping (or an evening delivery for only €1,90) and it would arrive the next day. Putting it together was also pretty easy and straightforward. It became only slightly more difficult because was a relatively compact case so not much room to work with. But watching a couple build videos on YouTube using the same case gave me a good idea on what to expect. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Yeah, the store I bought the components at could build it for me as an additional service but it would cost me €75 plus €10 shipping and the customer support lady told me it could take 2-3 weeks depending on how busy their assembly department was. :wacko:

Ordering the components separately and building it myself saved me €75, free shipping (or an evening delivery for only €1,90) and it would arrive the next day. Putting it together was also pretty easy and straightforward. It became only slightly more difficult because was a relatively compact case so not much room to work with. But watching a couple build videos on YouTube using the same case gave me a good idea on what to expect. :)

Ah yeah, if I order all the components I would build it myself as well.  Past two I've been lazy and just had pre-built.  Because of that I haven't kept up on much other than video cards.  But seeing your picture above prior to opening everything reminded me of building them, fun for sure, just have to get back into the specs on things.

Have you tried SC on it yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gallitin said:

Ah yeah, if I order all the components I would build it myself as well.  Past two I've been lazy and just had pre-built.  Because of that I haven't kept up on much other than video cards.  But seeing your picture above prior to opening everything reminded me of building them, fun for sure, just have to get back into the specs on things.

Have you tried SC on it yet?

Heh heh, initially I wanted to be lazy too and just pay the extra cash for assembly. But when the customer support lady warned me that it could take 2-3 weeks I was like "Aww hell no! I'll just do it myself then". :D

So far I only had time to do a quick walkaround in my hangar to check out some of my ships but I instantly noticed how much faster everything loaded. It was like clicking on the 'go to hangar' button and 2-3 seconds later I was already standing in it. 

I also noticed that it felt a lot smoother compared to my old i5 2500k which had a mere 8GB of RAM and the most powerful components in that rig were the Samsung 850 EVO SSD and a GeForce GTX960 (because I had replaced my old 550Ti a while back). :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Heh heh, initially I wanted to be lazy too and just pay the extra cash for assembly. But when the customer support lady warned me that it could take 2-3 weeks I was like "Aww hell no! I'll just do it myself then". :D

So far I only had time to do a quick walkaround in my hangar to check out some of my ships but I instantly noticed how much faster everything loaded. It was like clicking on the 'go to hangar' button and 2-3 seconds later I was already standing in it. 

I also noticed that it felt a lot smoother compared to my old i5 2500k which had a mere 8GB of RAM and the most powerful components in that rig were the Samsung 850 EVO SSD and a GeForce GTX960 (because I had replaced my old 550Ti a while back). :P 

Ah nice, how about the fps?  Do you notice any slow down with your setup or flawless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gallitin said:

Ah nice, how about the fps?  Do you notice any slow down with your setup or flawless?

Flawless. I just did a quick check as my monitor has an onboard fps-counter and in the hangar it stayed at a solid 144fps (same as my monitor's refresh rate) even when calling up ships like a Retaliator. I'll check with another fps-counter later but so far it seems pretty solid and doesn't waver at all.

I do have to note that my monitor (ASUS VG278Q) is just a 27 inch 1080p monitor at 144Hz though which is probably why a solid 144fps may be very easy to achieve for a factory overclocked GTX1080Ti. But as I was planning on playing Star Citizen with a VR headset at some point I figured I didn't need to buy some super expensive 2k or 4k monitor just now. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Flawless. I just did a quick check as my monitor has an onboard fps-counter and in the hangar it stayed at a solid 144fps (same as my monitor's refresh rate) even when calling up ships like a Retaliator. I'll check with another fps-counter later but so far it seems pretty solid and doesn't waver at all.

I do have to note that my monitor (ASUS VG278Q) is just a 27 inch 1080p monitor at 144Hz though which is probably why a solid 144fps may be very easy to achieve for a factory overclocked GTX1080Ti. But as I was planning on playing Star Citizen with a VR headset at some point I figured I didn't need to buy some super expensive 2k or 4k monitor just now. :P

Alright you hooked me, looking around now at your components on different sites and comparing things :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gallitin said:

Alright you hooked me, looking around now at your components on different sites and comparing things :)

Heh. Just be advised that DDR4 RAM is currently very expensive and apparently isn't expected to level out until Q2 or something. Something about supply and demand issues. ;)

I had to pay €429 for my 32GB of RAM. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By [≡☠≡] フの乇 ムノレレノム刀
      I have HammerHead for sale at $690 , the Ship and his 4 items...
      Included: 

      - Space Ship HammerHead
      - Lifetime Insurance for ship (LTI)
      - VFG Industrial Hangar
      - AEGIS HammerHead Poster
      - AEGIS HammerHead model
       

       

       
      Please read the Terms & Conditions of Service:
      Transactions through PayPal (Verified PayPal only). All prices are final (includes PayPal fees). If you are interested - leave a comment or/and send me private message. Payment via PayPal FF. If you are unsure about the ship or have any questions, feel free to ask. You must own a copy of Star Citizen, and are required to have an account in order to accept item (ship/upgrade). Item will be delivered to the buyer's PayPal email address. You can claim the item by clicking on the link provided in the email about "gift"  and sign in your RSI account. Be careful to be logged into the correct RSI account when you redeem your email about "gift" containing the transmitted ship. Tracking is provided by "Hangar Log" on RSI website and will be used as a proof of delivery.  

      star-citizen-galactic-tour-aegis-hammerhead.mp4
    • By Devil Khan
      It looks quite promising. Not the typical WD, but several dozen people who you play.
      Rather play it on uplay instead of epic, It's not on steam for launch.
    • By LegacyPlay
      legacyplay here, nice to meet you all ,applied for imperium organization.
    • By Narayan
      Greetings, citizens!
      Every time I say the phrase “this was the most difficult video of mine” - and each time I make an even more complex video. So, this time - it was really the MOST difficult of my video, because I was also started to write the music for this video.
      I decided, that shoot and edit was not enough for me anymore - and I also went to the musical direction. Specially for this, I bought a MIDI-keyboard, and one very good man gave me his sound card for free. And after a month of working on music, I want to say that I, no doubt, hurried to create my own music in my video, because I had no experience when I started working on it. However, this “baptism by fire” gave me the necessary starting experience - and now I know more about how to write the music. I hope you enjoy my first (and, I hope, not last) experience in this direction.
      As for the video itself, it may seem long and strange to you - 10 minutes long, with a strange beginning and art-house style. But that was my original idea - to show the city, through the storyline of the heroine, by using FOIP and visual effects.
      Working on this video took me 2 months of life and almost 250 gigabytes on my PC, so it really became my most difficult job. I hope my work was not in vain, and you will enjoy this video.
      Enjoy watching!
      Music from the video here.
      P.S. You can listen to the music from the video here: 
      Citizen Spotlight Spectrum Reddit  
       
    • By Weehamster
      LAST EDIT: 24/May/2019
      Hi everyone /
      I have images/gifs of ships/vehicles that are either flyable or in concept, development, re-worked or from Star Citizen lore.
      There are also many other categories, including anything from Star Systems to Characters to Ship/FPS Equipment.
      I constantly add more to the albums so don't be afraid to come back here anytime for the latest images.
      Please Enjoy.
      VEHICLES:
      Aegis Dynamics
      Anvil Aerospace
      Aopoa (Xi'An)
      Argo Astronautics
      BIRC (Banu)
      Consolidated Outland
      Crusader Industries
      Drake Interplanetary
      Esperia
      Greycat Industrial
      Kruger Intergalactic
      Musashi Industrial and Starflight Concern
      Origin Jumpworks GmbH
      Robert Space Industries
      RSI/Aegis
      Tumbril Land Systems
      Vanduul
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Ship Components
      -------------------------------------------- BONUS --------------------------------------------
      Characters
      First Person Components
      Places 
      Places: Terra
      Places: Odin
      Places: Stanton
      Gameplay
      Squadron 42
      Other
       
×
×
  • Create New...