So, long story short, my GPU fried after a bad accident with some thermal paste and I must pick a new one.

Basic data: I have a i7 2600k ( admittedly old, it's going to be the next thing I switch), 16 gig of ram and a SSD for SC.

So, to keep it short, which one would you pick between a Strix RX580 8GB and a Cerberus GTX 1070TI 8 GB and why?

Thanks

I would still do a little research on each for how they work with monitors (_g-sync), or how hot they get, what kind of cooling (ACX FTW), OC'ing, I'd look on EVGA's b-stock page if you can, you might find a deal there that may push you over the edge.

sadly, no ti versions of the 1070 here

2 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

I would still do a little research on each for how they work with monitors (_g-sync), or how hot they get, what kind of cooling (ACX FTW), OC'ing, I'd look on EVGA's b-stock page if you can, you might find a deal there that may push you over the edge.

sadly, no ti versions of the 1070 here

I am actually rebuilding my pc a bit at a time ( it was quite good when I made it back then but time took its toll, then we have new tech coming in all the time, SC whose requirements are in a permanent limbo etc etc).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gallitin
      Alright so after following other's builds, talking about purchasing another pre-built PC and being reminded I'll overpay and get less...here's what I've come up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VXFFWX
      Last time I built a PC was about 4-5 years ago so few questions:
      CPU - i7 vs i9
      Is it worth grabbing the i9 now or is the i7 8700 just fine?  Why? Is the cooler I picked ok? Motherboard
      Completely guessed on this one, bad, good? Case - Mid vs Full
      I like the look of the full size cases, but more money.  I won't have any cd/dvd drives.  Does the full tower cool any better?  Is there any advantage beyond the actual space? Video Card - GeForce 1080ti
      I'm finding all kinds of these out there.  Does the brand matter?  What detailed specs do I need to look at?  All I've seen is the 11gb version that I want. Memory
      I'm going to get 32 gigs of memory, does it matter if I get 2x16 or 4x8?  I didn't know exactly how dual channel works and if better to have all 4 slots filled or if not relevant. I see options for 3200 and 4000, is the 4000 worth the price or should I just pick up 3200? Hard Drive
      SSD vs m2.SSD vs PCI-E SSD?  I'm lost on m2 and PCI.  I see both labeled with some Octane drives, but PCI-E seems more expensive.  What do I want here m2 or PCI-E and which one?  I haven't followed how the tech works, read some, but still not fully getting it. Power Supply
      Again guessed here, assuming 1k is ok? Sound Card
      Are sound cards relevant anymore or is onboard sufficient?  Picked a soundblaster one out, but not sure if I need it. Fans
      I just chose some, assume I need 4 for the case, are they right? Do I need more or some different? All suggestions welcome, so be brutal with me if I've chosen something completely off.  I'd like to stick to higher end stuff, but if it's a waste please let me know.
    • By grandmasterub
      Hi All. First post here. Tried searching a bit, but didn't see anything already mirroring my situation.
      With the release of alpha 3.0 I've gotten back into SC a bit, but my gaming rig (built in 2010) is definitely showing its age. I'm not sure if its my RAM or CPU thats really holding it back. I suppose its also possible that with the game being unoptimized, the performance I'm getting is just how it is. Anyway, I'm looking for upgrade advice for my current PC. I'd like to keep the upgrade cost around $500-$700 (I'm not trying to build a whole new PC if possible).
      Current Rig:
      Intel i7 950 | ASUS RAMPAGE III GENE X58 Exp | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | 12GB DDR3-1333 OCZ Gold (triple channel) Corsair H60 | Antec mini P180b | 850W Corsair TX850W  | 2x Acer 24" Looking for advice on what parts to upgrade. I also currently have 1 sata3 SSD and a couple of standard 1TB HDDs. I'm basically thinking I need to look at RAM or CPU, but that means a whole motherboard swap as well, so I'm really not sure what I can get for ~$500. I've been out of the PC building loop for awhile now. (like I said I last build in 2010). Looking forward to your help!
      -grandmasterub
    • By Gremlich
      I get these notifications in the email - lots of great deals to be found for RAM, SSDs, etc
      Newegg and Microcenter, sometimes PNY, mostly Newegg, though, 
      really! get moar stuff, NO REALLY!!

buy buy buy!! good deals on SSDs, DDR4 RAM, next gen Intel CPUs
      And if you want help kitting out a computer, use pcpartpicker
      If you want help building a computer, there are loads of videos on newegg and youtube (for instance 
      just go to Youtube and search for "build a gaming computer" and you'll get lots of options to view.)

• By Gremlich
      That what it sounds like --> AMD All But Relinquishes High-End Desktop Graphics In 2018