3.0 CTD. Lost ship & half my auec

Victor Vector

Ok, I decided to finally give 3.0 a try. That was my first mistake.

I managed to get some cargo and load my freelancer and take off. I also took a contract and headed to the pick up point. Whilst trying to figure out the illegible star map and quantum drive the damn game crashed to desktop.

The launcher said "Game running" which it obviously wasn't. I then closed the launcher and started again. The game launched with me back in my box bunk, back in Olisar.

Ok I can't get my freelancer because its stuck out there in the void somewhere and the persistent universe has persisted in stealing half my credits all because the damn game crashed. Hardly my fault.

So I've no ship and only half my starting credits. How do I get out of this one? Please. I thought if the game crashed you were supposed to respawn in your ship at the location you were at when the game crashed. Evidently not.

As its the persistent universe, I doubt deleting the game fully and re-downloading and installing it from scratch would affect the persistence as its on their servers. Any help appreciated - even if its only "Tough, you're f***ed" :(

So far, not the experience I was looking for. There was a good point though - at least this time the frame rates didn't make my eyes hurt. They weren't good but at least it was playable.

Yeah I had a half hold with one run in and several safe landings. Decided to stop and refuel.

Decided to do a walk about and see how badly my wing was damaged but when I did the seat exit from Freelancer, it blew me straight down, out to the deck in front of the ship (suspiciously like where would go with the old door ramp down the centerline).

Legs black and bled out faster than could heal it. Like you said, no ship available with respawn. If this is even close to the game, we are all doomed to be broke and walking. - DRUM out

Star Citizen's still in the alpha phase, above all else!

Crashing, memory leaks etc.. Are a given, considering the game's current status of development. Money is earned back so quickly you won't believe it. The ship, however... Have you tried claiming -insurance- it back through the tiny computer interface thingie for spawning ships (can't remember the name) ? Or track it back to where you last left it with a friend, when you got CTD?

Else, i am sure there are more people on the SCB Teamspeak that are in-game and would love to help you out, if they can. ;)

Yeah I'm only too well aware that it's alpha. Bugs and crashes are expected. I know the roadmap of game development. However, in the case of crashes why do we have to lose our ships, cargo and aUEC for something that is entirely beyond our control? As Drum said, at this rate we will all be just running around, broke, shipless and with no way left to make any money.

Well, it was quite good for the 15 minutes or so before it crashed. Guess I'll have to wait for the end of March and try again so long as my ship gets returned to me without costing me more credits.

I didn't bother trying to make an insurance claim, because even if it did work, I'd only get my base ship back sans cargo. So it would cost me more on top of what I've already lost.

Oh, thanks for the TS tip. Might try that but maybe after New Year. Have a good one guys :)

17 minutes ago, Victor Vector said:

Yeah I'm only too well aware that it's alpha

That is not, however, the way your issue reads. Did you, in fact, post a bug report regarding this? Through no fault of your own the Alpha ostensibly crashed, leaving you penniless. That's a way you might be able to recover your assets lost while testing the alpha.

19 minutes ago, Victor Vector said:

As Drum said, at this rate we will all be just running around, broke, shipless and with no way left to make any money.

this is another example of your disappointment and perception, you should have written thusly: "As Drum said, at this rate at actual game release, we will all be just running around, broke, shipless and with no way left to make any money."

2 hours ago, Victor Vector said:

The launcher said "Game running" which it obviously wasn't. I then closed the launcher and started again. The game launched with me back in my box bunk, back in Olisar.

The game is kind of buggy with log in / log out right now. You'll almost always respawn at Olisar in the current iteration. Ship bed log outs are only working if you log back into the same server you logged out of. 

Ok I can't get my freelancer because its stuck out there in the void somewhere and the persistent universe has persisted in stealing half my credits all because the damn game crashed. Hardly my fault.

They've implemented an "insurance claim" system now. If you've lost  your ship you can file a claim at the same ship spawning terminal (click the "claim button"). It will take a second or so, but then you'll see a timer. You can then click an expedited claim button to speed it up some. An expedited freelancer will take around 10-12 minutes to come back up. Yeah, its annoying. They're in the middle of implementing that mechanic. At least to do a claim and the expedited claim its free.

So I've no ship and only half my starting credits. How do I get out of this one? Please. I thought if the game crashed you were supposed to respawn in your ship at the location you were at when the game crashed. Evidently not.

People have success stories making their money back. Some guys have gone down to one ship with only seven credits remaining and have recovered via the trading mechanic. In the worst case, you can always grab an easy mission to make some cash. If you're looking to do missions, I recommend finding the P.I. mission that may appear in your mobiglass (press F1, click the top left icon to open your inbox, click the personal tab). That one is fairly easy, requires no combat, no planetary landings, and no NPC interactions. You just fly around the Covalex station doing the same mission we had in 2.6. If you're looking to trade, I recommend running commodities between Grim Hex (now in orbit around Yela) and Port Olisar. Commodities prices change based on player interactions with the system on each server. The more gets traded, the more the prices change. A good commodity will be something like Corundum. You can buy that for 2 aUEC per unit at GH and sell for 4-5 aUEC at Olisar. 100% profit margin and its cheap so you can fill your freelancer. You'll need to locate the trade consoles (at GH take the elevator into the 'Core' and look for a hallway with a large 'open' neon sign next to it. The hallway is in the same main room as the elevators. At PO the consoles are in the same room as the ship spawn terminals, next to the NPC behind the desk.

As its the persistent universe, I doubt deleting the game fully and re-downloading and installing it from scratch would affect the persistence as its on their servers. Any help appreciated - even if its only "Tough, you're f***ed" :(

You're right. Everything is account bound right now in Live. There are some gamebreaking bugs floating around that have F'd a few players (the floating golf ball bug is the most notorious because it means you can no longer leave Port Olisar as your character spawns in every time as a floating golf ball)

So far, not the experience I was looking for. There was a good point though - at least this time the frame rates didn't make my eyes hurt. They weren't good but at least it was playable.

If you can, jump on the imperium TS. The easiest way for you is to follow the portal link and use the TS assistant in there to log in. A lot of guys have experience with 3.0, bugs, missions, trading and how to help you get used to the new controls. 

I gave a kind of point by point breakdown. I won't be on much today but I will be around most of tomorrow ideally on discord and on TS. Jump on and ask questions. A lot of guys have seen most of the crazy bugs and figured out ways to get around them until the CIG dev team comes back from break.

I had the issue of going down to just a few hundred credits, and not much more than a clean ship after a claim, but I bounced back and am sitting at over 100k credits now!

There's a mission under the Personal tab sometimes that asks you to disable one of the Com stations--for almost 400 credits!  It gives you a negative status as soon as you disable the com station, and the ships hovering outside will start to shoot you.  I suggest positioning your ship VERY close to the entrance so you can get back into your ship without being shot down.  Also, landing on the main Port may be tricky trying to dodge the automated turrets on the station itself, but it will allow you to land! 

And once you've logged off and back on your crime "state" is wiped clean!  I hate how the bad missions seem to pay out more than the good missions currently, but oh well...

I did the above several times, then started transporting goods back and forth from the various outposts for a hefty profit using a Constellation.  It started out only with 1 or 2 "units" of cargo, but eventually I was able to amass wealth and take larger and larger loads.  During this time I also crashed my constellation a handful of times too, and lost a bit of cargo due to crashes, but after several hours of transporting goods I finally reached 100k and a full load (96 units)

dA0qSHd.jpg

vmpTKrZ.jpg

Coming back can be done, and if I can do it so can you!  Good luck!

Wow! Sounds like I shouldn't really post anything. I'm sorry my tone showed a little disappointment.

Anyway I did try the insurance claim and got a replacement ship at least. Tried again with another contract and after a few hours managed to claw back 74 auec. So that could count as a success story.

Bolstered by my new found success, I then confidently took on another pick up and delivery mission. After managing to land ever so gently and have the ship bounce back into space announcing "Launch successful" or whatever, numerous times I resorted to simply cutting the engine and have it thump back down to the surface. The only way to get it to stay there.

I then picked up the cargo. I took off for my destination ArcCorp 157. All was good except when getting close to the planet's surface. A great glaring white disc appeared on my Freelancer's dash, with the intensity of a super nova and obstructing most of my view. Entering the dark side of the planet things did not go well.

With everything BLACK except for a great white supernova blinding me I obviously hit something which sent me spinning wildly away to God only knows where.

At this stage I quit.

Tried again this morning and I was back at Olisar. I was expecting another claim but no. This time my ship appears to be stored at Yela. Where on (or off) Yela I have no idea. Also I now have no way of getting there, unless someone gives me a lift, but then I'll likely end up stranded on Yela, lol. Ah well it's ALPHA.

So, all in all a good trading evening. I lost 1.5 freelancers and around 2000 auec - I say 1.5 because apparently, the second one isn't lost, its at Yela but I'm at Olisar. Lost one, maybe two cargo's, but I did manage to make one successful cargo run to net 74 auec for taking the trash out. So I'll count that as a success story. I'll be a transport tycoon in no time, Hahaha.

Thanks for the suggestion @Buckaroo , but I seem to have enough trouble just being legal at the moment :lol:

@FoxChard Thanks for that info. Very helpful. Not sure I'll be around much today but you've given me a few things to try, thanks :)

On a last note, I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone a sincere and very happy New Year

18 hours ago, Gremlich said:

this is another example of your disappointment and perception, you should have written thusly: "As Drum said, at this rate at actual game release, we will all be just running around, broke, shipless and with no way left to make any money."

How very perceptive of you.

I am English and have had very many years experience of conversing by the written word in my native language (lessons not required or needed but thanks for the offer). I am also amongst the older echelon of backers and might not have as much patience as I once had.  Of course that is no excuse and I apologise if my slight disappointment upsets anyone. I am sure these annoyances will be fixed in due course and I still have a fair bit of patience left, more than most at my age I think. 

I still think this game is amazing in both scope and quality and knocks seven shades out of some full release triple A games out there. This release though? I just don't think it should have been released in this state. Yes bugs are expected at this stage of development but I just think this was rushed out for the holiday break.

4 hours ago, Victor Vector said:

I am also amongst the older echelon of backers and might not have as much patience as I once had.  Of course that is no excuse and I apologise if my slight disappointment upsets anyone. I am sure these annoyances will be fixed in due course and I still have a fair bit of patience left, more than most at my age I think. 

I'm 60 in February, so you don't get a pass.

Because SC is in Alpha, them releasing it to us or keeping it in-house should not make any difference, they need to fix crap and the more people with different computers helping them is best practice - I don't care that it isn't a game, I'm helping make the game better no matter what state it's in.

Please note that my "umbrage" at the way people write is because so many people starting to back Star Citizen have been both spoilt and burned by the large publishing companies - not their fault, per se, but knowing from the get go that what we have access to is an WIP Alpha and NOT a finished game. The sad thing is that what is being released by the larger companies ALWAYS need fixing - much like the SC Alpha builds. Things the companies should have fixed in Beta. People still consider SC Alpha 3.0 as a released "game" because who has ever done what SC is doing. Nobody. This is contrary to their experience with released games and I really do understand why people adopt the tone they do.

So, whenever a new backer writes "I just downloaded the game" I KNOW they don't understand what it is they are pledging for/being given access to. We have not been downloading a game, we are "downloading the Alpha build of a game in development" something the TOS is very clear on. Managed expectations is what keeps me from experiencing disappointment - frustration, maybe, but not disappointment. Frankly, my expectation is SC in late 2019 (in line with an MMO being in undeclared development) and SQ42 in 2018.

And the fact that I like Imperium and the guys in it helps. We give each other perspective and sometimes illumination.

Last night I had a load of about 40k of cargo in my Constellation last night, landed on Daymar (?) while finishing a mission, and the game crashed.  When logging back on, it showed my ship stored on that planet with my cargo but obviously the mission gone.  I took out another ship and headed there, but the game crashed again.  Now both ships were unable to be used when I logged in again.  Oh, and my 40k of cargo showed gone too now.

I had to pull claims on both of them again so they could be retrieved at Port Olisar, and lost out on the cargo.  It's a set back, but I'll recover once again!

Also, I've hitched a lift with a random player to other planets/ports before when I wanted to get to a place my ship was stored and not use my second ship.  It's part of the gameplay!

If you haven't already (and have the ability to), I highly recommend installing Star Citizen on its own SSD.  After I did this, I saw significant less issues playing the game and much quicker load times.  I didn't think I would see a big difference coming from a 10k RPM drive, but it really did!

EDIT:  I'll try to be on teamspeak while I'm playing, so if you need help while I'm on I'll be happy to do so.

10 hours ago, Victor Vector said:

Wow! Sounds like I shouldn't really post anything. I'm sorry my tone showed a little disappointment.

Anyway I did try the insurance claim and got a replacement ship at least. Tried again with another contract and after a few hours managed to claw back 74 auec. So that could count as a success story.

Bolstered by my new found success, I then confidently took on another pick up and delivery mission. After managing to land ever so gently and have the ship bounce back into space announcing "Launch successful" or whatever, numerous times I resorted to simply cutting the engine and have it thump back down to the surface. The only way to get it to stay there.

I then picked up the cargo. I took off for my destination ArcCorp 157. All was good except when getting close to the planet's surface. A great glaring white disc appeared on my Freelancer's dash, with the intensity of a super nova and obstructing most of my view. Entering the dark side of the planet things did not go well.

With everything BLACK except for a great white supernova blinding me I obviously hit something which sent me spinning wildly away to God only knows where.

At this stage I quit.

Tried again this morning and I was back at Olisar. I was expecting another claim but no. This time my ship appears to be stored at Yela. Where on (or off) Yela I have no idea. Also I now have no way of getting there, unless someone gives me a lift, but then I'll likely end up stranded on Yela, lol. Ah well it's ALPHA.

So, all in all a good trading evening. I lost 1.5 freelancers and around 2000 auec - I say 1.5 because apparently, the second one isn't lost, its at Yela but I'm at Olisar. Lost one, maybe two cargo's, but I did manage to make one successful cargo run to net 74 auec for taking the trash out. So I'll count that as a success story. I'll be a transport tycoon in no time, Hahaha.

Thanks for the suggestion @Buckaroo , but I seem to have enough trouble just being legal at the moment :lol:

@FoxChard Thanks for that info. Very helpful. Not sure I'll be around much today but you've given me a few things to try, thanks :)

On a last note, I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone a sincere and very happy New Year

Everything is meaningless now.  Don't worry about monies too much.  The cargo system is so OP/broken in terms of money making right now that I wouldn't be surprised if they balanced it and reset the servers as soon as they get back from their break.  There's plenty of millionaires now, even at least one billionaire.  If you really need money for armor or something, you could always just buy cargo at one strut on Port Olisar and EVA to another and sell it.  You don't even have to take your ship out of storage.  The prices aren't coupled.  But be warned, there's a bug with the equipment manager that can turn you into a ping pong ball and make it impossible to do anything.  It can happen when you equip things.  There's no easy fix for it so everyone who has been turned into one has to wait until CIG gets back.

The a in aUEC stands for alpha. It's my guess that they'll reset the servers with each patch to also test moneymaking. Right now, Cargo is horrendously broken. They can balance it with data from this patch, reset it, implement new ways to make money, balance... Repeat.

So don't worry about it. It'll likely be gone in 3.1 anyway. Happy new year!

@Caldon Wow! Damn bad luck. I feel for you too with the server crash. Sorry I can't help with the mobiglass issue. At least that hasn't happened to me yet.

@FoxChard Thanks very much re: the big white disk. I'll try that the next time I manage to get something to fly. I'm out of ships at the moment. One stuck in Yela and the spare Hornet is now floating around Olisar somewhere because real life intervened and trying to land back where I took off from got me a criminal status. 

So now I'm a heinous criminal with, obviously, a wanted status. So to add to my list of .... frustrations ;), I'll now have every bounty hunter and other opportunist hunting me down. I still have a greycat buggy but I'm not sure how effective it would be in space. I suppose I could always retrieve it and drive it off a landing pad to find out. Can it be fitted with a quantum drive? :lol:

@Gremlich I have no idea what you mean by "so you don't get a pass" and I don't really care. I can only assume from that tone that you are trying to antagonise me. It may be my mistake that I omitted to state in my original post, that I was fully aware that the game is in ALPHA, that bugs, glitches etc are to be expected, that I have been a backer since mid 2014,  My age, gaming history, my ability to read and understand terms and conditions, of which again, I am aware, etc etc. For all that I apologise. However, I was not aware that it was needed as most people are able to understand me without having to explain every syllable.

I really don't know what sort of reaction you're trying to get out of me. You are not trying to be helpful in the slightest, so I can only assume you are trying to force an argumentative reaction from me for some reason, by criticising my use of my own native language. Furthermore, I have neither the time nor the inclination to enter into a game of semantics, or indeed a full blown argument with you.   

Please note that my "umbrage" at the way people write is because so many people starting to back Star Citizen have been both spoilt and burned by the large publishing companies - not their fault, per se, but knowing from the get go that what we have access to is an WIP Alpha and NOT a finished game. The sad thing is that what is being released by the larger companies ALWAYS need fixing - much like the SC Alpha builds. Things the companies should have fixed in Beta. People still consider SC Alpha 3.0 as a released "game" because who has ever done what SC is doing. Nobody. This is contrary to their experience with released games and I really do understand why people adopt the tone they do.

You are quite correct in that statement, however, I am not new to all this and am sick and tired of the unfinished garbage those companies push out every year or so. This is why I sometimes get a little frustrated - its because I so badly want Star Citizen and Squadron 42 to succeed.  

Yes, there was initially a little disappointment during my first foray into ALPHA 3.0.  There was also some frustration too, which finally led to me posting for some help here.

Finally, think of me as you will. It matters not, to me. It is your privilege entirely. I bid you goodnight.

@Caldon @Catbuss @Painmiester and @Buckaroo Yes you all make valid statements. I'll take them on board. Thanks guys :)

It is hard to learn because the game does not help you much unless you've been an extremely avid follower of all the content. I've been playing a lot recently so I'm in a position to help and get you past things that are keeping you from experiencing the alpha. :) 

Thanks FoxChard. I know controls and such change significantly after each significant patch and I admit I haven't been following things as closely as I once did. Thanks for the TS offer. I may well take you up on that when I have a bit more spare time. Hope you had a great New Year.

I can absolutely relate. Had 2 crashes that cost me half my creds but today I got some interesting behaviour.

When I logged off yesterday evening my credit count was at 150k, all ships ins Olisar, landed and stowed away.

As I log in about half an hour ago I have 32 creds left and my ships have been stripped of weapons. And it seems I am missing a few weapons.

Absolutely no clue what has happened.

1 hour ago, Flarebright said:

I can absolutely relate. Had 2 crashes that cost me half my creds but today I got some interesting behaviour.

When I logged off yesterday evening my credit count was at 150k, all ships ins Olisar, landed and stowed away.

As I log in about half an hour ago I have 32 creds left and my ships have been stripped of weapons. And it seems I am missing a few weapons.

Absolutely no clue what has happened.

Did you let someone into your hangar that you don't completely trust? :lol:

52 minutes ago, Caldon said:

How come the lights are like that in your cargo bay? Mine is almost always dark. :P

I'm not sure.  I have gotten into the habit of never turning the power off on my ships when I exit them.  I only turn off the engines.  I do find the lights tend to stay on when power is left on!

3 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

I'm not sure.  I have gotten into the habit of never turning the power off on my ships when I exit them.  I only turn off the engines.  I do find the lights tend to stay on when power is left on!

Strange. I do the same thing, but it's always dark. Oh well. Minor issue. :P

48 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

Did you let someone into your hangar that you don't completely trust? :lol:

Honestly, I did not, there are only to potential possibilities.

1. Bug

2. Hack

Checked everything else and changed PW just in case. But nothing of actual value is missing. Ah well looks like a new start from 0 with and reconfig of my ships.

Can someone borough me 5k creds as a kickstart? ;)