Ship in Orbit - Yela Orbit

Gallitin

Thanks to @Tom Villder sharing this and thought it was pretty cool, so posting here.

"It's a little tricky since you need to be in the atmosphere of the moon to affected by its gravity but if you go too low you will just drop to the surface. I chose Yela because i assumed it's atmosphere would be thin enough that it wouldn't make much difference. The orbit I managed was at around 26Km at a speed of 1055 m/s I completed about 3 orbits before leaving."

Its great to see that its possible to pull off in the engine... it has many implications for gameplay such as precise orbits e.g. geosynchronous orbits for planet drops (think Normandy in ME) or regular orbits during exploration.

Another complex idea is probably leaving the ship in orbit on autopilot while you walk/drive/hover on the planet below, and then you can summon it, E:D-style.

Glad to see there is a GIF floating around to show orbital mechanics aren't hocus pocus horseshit.

Can't wait for the brainiacs in the community to come up with some Kerbal-esque emergent gameplay from something like this.

4 hours ago, Tom Villder said:

Apparently a streamer has done orbits for 8 hours straight, with no CTD and ship engines turned off:

I was watching that stream and tried to join a bunch of guys trying to hunt him down. His Herald was moving too fast to intercept unfortunately. 

Just reading a forum post about the physics involved and the fact that this is even possible far exceeds my expectations and bodes well for the future of Star Citizen as a whole.