Tumbril - Nova "Tonk" Tank

GRIZZ

The Tonk finally gives the Idris a reason to exist. I mean really, who wanted to fly fighter ships out of it anyways?

Its really just a massive landing craft and its going to be awesome seeing an Idris come in and just unload a platoon of weally big tonks for a ground assault.

20 hours ago, Tom Villder said:

Its for this very reason that I chose land vehicles for transport, not attack.  While the tonks look badass, I shudder at the thought of what would happen to them if a swarm of Harbinger/Gladiator/MIS performed a bombing run.  You're talking about ships that could fly well over 150 m/s that are attacking a tank that has a top speed of 20 m/s.

The only places I see the tank being useful is 2 places....

1. A planetside environmental no-fly zone

2. A dozen of them dropped into a hangar of a Bengal

yep, let's imagine a planet where there is a neverending tempest (of dust or snow or thunder or whatever) except for a few small protected landing zones. In such kind of environment missions (or also PVP) would be restricted to infantry and ground vehicles

1 hour ago, Metternich70 said:

yep, let's imagine a planet where there is a neverending tempest (of dust or snow or thunder or whatever) except for a few small protected landing zones. In such kind of environment missions (or also PVP) would be restricted to infantry and ground vehicles

Rule of cool I guess... CIG did this once so far, they might do it again on another planet just to shake things up and force players to change their strategies.

I'll buy one if I can park it in my gemini or merchantman, it ought to keep the unwanted houseguests down to a minimum. Imagine the surprise if you board one of those ships and you end up staring into the barrel of that main gun ;) I don't think CIG has thought this through: how are you supposed to board a carrier or other capships that have massive flightdecks and cargo areas if the owner of those ships could have several tanks waiting for you there. I am betting marine combat armour does not stop tank rounds :D

I wouldn't get one unless I knew how they were going to deliver it.

Plus, I used to be an armor crewman (tanker), video game tanks interest me not at all.

1 hour ago, Hector said:

I wouldn’t shoot a tank inside a starship if I were you.. 

I would shoot one if it was in a ship, cuz that would take out the ship, but maybe not fire one.

meaning you fire a tank, you don't shoot a tank - unless it's the target.

One question it says it  has 3 station and 3 seats did that mean only 3 crew on board or 3 crew and 3 soldier?

Anyway, I think that it could be iffy if at current the only ship is the Idris depanding on whether or not it is spawnable fighters on board I mean can you have more the three fighters? Like 2 F7C 2 Gladus 2 gladiator 1 terrapin etc.

5 hours ago, Gremlich said:

I wouldn't get one unless I knew how they were going to deliver it.

Plus, I used to be an armor crewman (tanker), video game tanks interest me not at all.

I would shoot one if it was in a ship, cuz that would take out the ship, but maybe not fire one.

meaning you fire a tank, you don't shoot a tank - unless it's the target.

Lol

• 3 weeks later...

2nd Q7A for Tumbril Nova https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16358-Q-A-Tumbril-Nova-Part-2

Spoiler

How does the driver see out of it? Does it have thermal/night vision?

The driver, along with all seats, has the ability to view through an external camera like the Super Hornet gunner. In addition to this there, is an armored flap that can slide open on the front of the vehicle to provide a natural view out, protected by armored glass.

How effective are EMPs against the Nova Tank?

While it is somewhat hardened against EMP strikes with its military grade components, a big enough EMP weapon will cause the same shutdowns as with our ships.

What will the fuel range on the Nova be like?

The Nova has an average range for its type, it is heavy and is unable to travel huge distances like dedicated exploration vehicles.

Why should I have a battle tank if nearly no ship can transport it into combat?

Ground vehicles can already be spawned planet-side, and a large proportion of ground vehicles usually never leave the planet they were spawned on originally.

Can the Nova realistically hold its own against ships like the Sabre and Hornet?

The missiles and laser repeaters on the Nova are realistically the best defense against ships attacking it, as the main cannon does not have the speed or articulation to hit fast moving targets. When considering damage output, those weapons might be enough to deter a dedicated fighter like the ones mentioned but not for long. Using modern day scenarios as an example, the best use of tanks is with combined forces against an unprepared enemy or lower tier fighter it should be able to hold its own easily.

Is the Tumbril Nova amphibious?

The Nova was not designed to be amphibious in any way.

How high vertically can I aim the turret?

The current range on vertical motion on the main turret weapon is -10 to +35 degrees, however as with all assets this is subject to change during development. The Laser repeaters on the turret can aim much higher.

Can the tank be used to provide indirect artillery fire?

The Nova was not designed to do this with the current turret weaponry but it is possible to a limited extent..

What anti-ship capabilities does it have?

As described above, the primary anti-ship capabilities are the missiles and laser repeaters on the turret.

The Facebook announcement had some spice to it.

m5x7lefxjc901.png

I'll probably try to grab this Tonk before the sale ends simply because it never hurts to have more in your Hanger. Plus, to the naysayers (:P) the Q/A does a great job explaining why it will be viable even against Aircraft on a ground operation. It's long range main armament (hopefully long ranged) would probably be ideal for perching on a hill top or an elevated position to support infantry in combat or under fire.

This isn't something you'd use in a wide open field with no cover, etc. It's specialized or at least I see it being specifically useful for hardened enemy positions that cannot be approached by Aircraft/Spacecraft.

Great way to break a turtled up enemy in their FOB.

2 hours ago, SylasTG said:

I'll probably try to grab this Tonk before the sale ends simply because it never hurts to have more in your Hanger.

I find it ridiculously high priced.  But grabbed one to melt and keep in buyback just in case i change my mind.  (I honestly find all land vehicles are priced at double what I would pay for them.)

1 minute ago, GRIZZ said:

I find it ridiculously high priced.  But grabbed one to melt and keep in buyback just in case i change my mind.  (I honestly find all land vehicles are priced at double what I would pay for them.)

I agree with you, the price is absolutely too high for a vehicle which is 'niche' at most. Despite having all avenues of combat in the game I'm pretty sure we'll mostly be seeing Space Warfare unless we have to take ground/territory on a planet.

But it definitely doesn't hurt to have that extra ace up your sleeve :)

I just want to know what can haul those tanks (Tonks) around, which ship cargo can do the job.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, SylasTG said:

Cue Benny Hill music as I try to get my tank back :lol:

flying in fighter or any ship joyriding has the same potential as a tonk.....

36 minutes ago, Painmiester said:

I just want to know what can haul those tanks (Tonks) around, which ship cargo can do the job.

flying in fighter or any ship joyriding has the same potential as a tonk.....

Of course it does, but Tonks are just as good as any ol' starfighter too. Can't hold ground without the heavies on the front. Plus who doesn't like pulling wheelies in a tracked tank?

Oh and it's implied any Capital can carry these around, except for the Corvettes, I think.