Kontrive

Advice on Purchasing an Account Please?

Hi everyone :D

I hope it is ok to ask for some advice? I have been speaking to a forum member regarding purchasing his SC account. We are both happy to do the deal, but how can we both protect each other during the sale? It seems one of us would have to take some sort of risk - either sending money first, or the account details first. Is there a better way people normally do things to ensure both parties are protected from fraud?

Many thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I found the following page which seems to have some good advice, in case anyone else is wondering about the same thing I was:

It's against CIG Terms of Service to buy an account, and it can be shut down at any time if found out the account is operating by someone other than the original buyer. As far as fraud, that's between you and the seller. The seller has the ability to claim it back at any time by contacting customer support and proving they own the account with purchase records. It's a risk not a lot of people are willing to make but if you believe the seller is trustworthy then by all means go for it. Just remember that it could be gone the next day without notice.

There will always be risk with buying accounts.  Like Donut said it is against TOS and CIG can choose to shut it down if there is a reported dispute of ownership.

The original email used to register the account will forever be able to claim it as stolen, even if the associated email is changed.

You are best off avoiding this mess.

but if you must:

1)Use a broker to hold the money till the purchased item is received.

2)Include the original email account in the transaction.   I'm honestly not even sure if this can be verified anymore, as there were scams in the past which led CIG to avoid it altogether, and take their current stance.

3) if they can't part with the email, use another form of contract stating the sale (use a paypal transaction number) once complete will not be reclaimed by the seller as the "Original owner" 

4) Also verify the account is in good standing.  And being sold by someone with some trade reputation on reddit or here (or other known trading platform, I only use reddit and here), the known stores are safest.

5) be prepared to write off anything you pay.  :)  AND anything you gift into the account.

Honestly there are many good people who are looking to sell accounts due to the changing nature of this game and their ships being account bound, but scammers have made it impossible for most of them, and CIG wants no part of it as it is not a liability they want. 

Personally I wouldn't buy an account from anyone. Too risky in my opinion and usually not worth the potential trouble.

Instead you might be better served to make create own account. If LTI matters to you you could always post a [Want To Buy] thread on the ship-sales subforum and ask for a starterpack with SC+SQ42 and LTI. That way you have your own account with a game package and should be good to go. Any additional ships you might want after that should be easy to get by buying one of the upcoming speederbikes and use them as LTI-tokens to CCU them into the ships you want. :)

Does this account have some rare ship or something?

Why buy someone's account. I know people have done that in EVE, but SC is not a game yet and there's not really much that you need atm. just get a starter pack and start saving money. Every now and then, someone will have a ship you want who you can deal squarely with. Like one of your org mates that decides he has one too many ships.

(hahahahaha, just kidding about someone in Imperium thinking they have too many ships)

6 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

Why buy someone's account. I know people have done that in EVE, but SC is not a game yet and there's not really much that you need atm.

There are a LOT of reasons people are willing to part with an account. One I see quite often is that the seller is looking to recoup some money after they've fallen into financial troubles and are selling everything but the fridge and shower to stay afloat.

People could also be cashing out after they've grown bored of the waiting or are giving up on gaming altogether.

And then there are the scamsters looking for every way to make a few shekels ripping someone off.

2 minutes ago, J. Coren said:

There are a LOT of reasons people are willing to part with an account.  etc.....

duh, I was stating why "buy" an account. I am not encouraging the OP to buy and don't really care why someone's selling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nord
      Hi,
      I'm selling my account. It's an 2013 concierge account with rear admiral package (giftable), orion standalone lti (not giftable) and superhornet lti (not giftable) and a bunch of other backer perks. Account still got one handle change token. $20 in store credits.
      Lost interest in my account. Going to start fresh when the game releases. I'm the original owner. 

$650 or highest bidder
    • By Roki
      Want to Sell my account, which includes a Polaris, and a starter package with a Mustang Alpha. Pm me for more info, I got an business paypal account.

• By artsie
      I have been considering getting rid of my account (I am the original owner) for a while and due to some unfortunate events in real life I have no other choice now, I wont bother you with the details though. I am a first time poster and as such I would understand hesitation but I can verify that this is a legit offer if needed.
      For sale for 400$ (PayPal fees not included). I only trade with PayPay verified user. my account consists of (see also screenshots at https://imgur.com/a/Ws8CS):
      SHIP UPGRADES - CUTLASS BLACK TO CATERPILLAR UPGRADE
      STANDALONE SHIP - MPUV CARGO - LTI => UPGRADED TO HERALD
      STANDALONE SHIP - ANVIL HAWK LTI => UPGRADED TO BUCCANEER
      STANDALONE SHIP - ANVIL HAWK LTI => UPGRADED TO CUTLASS
      GLADIUS AND GOLD (from referral programm) => UPGRADED TO ANDROMEDA TAURUS
      PACKAGE - AURORA LN (with 6 months insurance, Squadron 42 Digital Download & Star Citizen Digital Download)
      as the gladius and gold package suggest I have total referral recruits of 53, maybe that is worth something for someone
      In total the account has almost 600$ worth of stuff and because it is probably unlikely that i could get full price I will settle at 400$. if anyone is interested please post here and we can figure out the details. 
      Best Regards
    • By SnowStorm
      ACCOUNT  FOR SALE: See First Reply, decided it was a safer route 
      Two purchases here on the forums in the past. A Terrapin CCU from @AstroJak (on June 19, 2017) 
      and a Dragonfly LTI from @StarC_Newbie (on May 31st, 2017) I can pull up the messages upon request. 
      List of ships and items owned (Nothing is gift-able, all purchased over time with store credits)
      Ships: 
      Package - Anniversary 2017 Mustang Discount Starter package
      Standalone Ship- Anvil Hawk LTI CCu'd to Freelancer LTI
      Standalone Ship- Anvil Hawk LTI CCu'd to Cutlass Black LTI
      Standalone Ship- Anvil Hawk LTI CCu'd to Terrapin LTI
      Items: 
      Package - Squadron 42 Add-on ($15.00 value)
      Kastak Arms Custodian SMG - Citizencon 2947 ($5.00 value) 
      Masters of Design Series - Hoplite & MPUV
      Masters of Design Series - Polaris & Razor
      Masters of Design Series - Caterpillar & Dragonfly
      Masters of Design Series - Prospector & Herald
      Masters of Design Series - Hurricane & Terrapin
      Holographic models- ICC Port Olisar
      Holographic models- IMS Bolliver
      Holographic models- Icarus One
      Holographic models- ICC Probe
      Hitbox Magazine
      Big Benny's Vending Machine
      Christmas Reward 2016
      Opera Mushroom
      Citizencon 2946 Trophy Subscriber Edition
      Conner's Beard Moss
      Takuetsu Mini Reliant Kore Model
      Takuetsu Golden Herald Model
      Takuetsu Mustang Gamma Model
      Buy Back tokens = 1
      Buy Back ships and items listed below
      Cutlass Black package
      Cutlass Starter Pack Gamescom2017
      Standalone - Drake Dragonfly Black
      Standalone - AOPOA Nox Kue LTI Warbond
      Ship Upgrades - Gladius to Cutlass Black Upgrade CCU
      Ship Upgrades - Freelancer to F7C Hornet Upgrade CCU
      Standalone Ship - Tumbril Cyclone LTI Presale
      Standalone Ship - X1 Force Edition LTI
      Standalone Ship - RSI Aurora LX Gamescom2017
      Standalone Ship - AEGIS Gladius
      Package - Freelancer
      Ship Upgrades - Freelancer to Freelancer Max Upgrade
      Package - Explorer Pack Gamescom2017
      Package - Mustang Alpha SC Starter
      Add-Ons - Air and Space Pack LTI (Terrapin and Cyclone AA)
      Package - Mustang Alpha SC Starter
      Package - Aurora MR SC Starter
      Package - Freelancer
      Ship Upgrades - Freelancer to Freelancer DUR Upgrade
      Standalone Ship - Drake Herald - Drake Sale
      $5,000 UEC starter money
      $197,500 REC virtual store money
      One paid Handle name change ready to use ($5.00 value)
      Total Melt value of account = $419.50
      Total ever spent on account = $494.50
      PM for more information, only selling because of a new addition to the family  and my wife said so  

• By Maisonn
      Hello Guys, I have got a Star Citizen Account for Sale.

Account Price - $99

Account Description:

-SHIP with LTI - Anvil Hawk
      -CCU Anvil Hawk to Cutlass Black (You can upgrade Anvil Hawk to Cutlass Black + Cutlass ships are going up in price soon, so good deal for you)
      -PACKAGE - Aurora MR MC Starter
      -100M REWARD - 2945 WAR BOND
      -CHRISTMAS REWARD!
      -Total Melt Value - $115
      -5000 UEC

Contact info:

STEAM - http://steamcommunity.com/id/xMaisonx/ 
      SKYPE - xmaisonn1x
      Discord - Maison#4753

Screenshots & Backer Titles: