21 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

What would be interesting is if CIG countersued.

I doubt that will happen. The biggest thing CIG has going for it publicly is that they appear babyface in this situation.

Countersuing would show aggression, and thus CIG loses sympathy and make them appear like they're using backer funds to lash out against those who rise against them. Filing for Crytek to pay legal fees is enough.

1 hour ago, S1ickReed said:

With Star Citizen not even released I wonder how far this will go.

Likely, to a lengthy court proceeding costing millions, or until Crytek's owners yank back on their leash and tell them enough is enough.

4 minutes ago, J. Coren said:

Likely, to a lengthy court proceeding costing millions, or until Crytek's owners yank back on their leash and tell them enough is enough.

There hasn't been a case brought to court surrounding engine use that has actually led to a precedent. It's highly unlikely this would lead to a major court case unless Crytek decides to try to set a precedent. At most I see a potential for a settlement or an attempt to exact a fine for not including the Cryengine icon. That said, CIG have a pretty bang-on set of lawyers who are not only working for CIG, but also tied directly to the start up of the company. I'd be surprised if it gets very far at all.

1 hour ago, J. Coren said:

Which owners? I know there was a thing on Reddit that claimed The Creative Assembly and Sega now own them, but that cited a wikipedia article which only says that Crytek sold their Black Sea studio to TCA and Sega.

As far as I know, Crytek is still its own entity.

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

What’s the worst case scenario?

WW3 breaking out by Christmas?

Seriously though, it will depend on what CryTek wants out of the situation: if it is money/recognition then it will be settled out of court or maybe a fine. If it is just vindictive spite, then worse case scenario would be to seek an injunction to halt further game development - very unlikely outcome imho.

WTF are Crytek actually doing right now and why do they still exist?

And last I heard they were in a number of court cases already being sued by the employees of the closed down studio branches. I am surprised that they were able to do it with a respectable (costly) law firm I thought they were close to bankruptcy.

4 hours ago, Hector said:

What’s the worst case scenario?

Realistically, the worst that can happen is that CIG has to pay Crytek. I doubt they will have to anyway tbh, too much of this is carpetbombing and I refuse to think that CIG didn't rescind the original agreement when buying the rights to the code in 2013 or switching to LJ later.

Basically, the best bone could be they didn't show Crytek logo anymore.

What a desperate move.  It is so funny that they have not settled all of their employee salary fiascos and now they file this?  It seems fishy; like everyone above me stated, a money grab.  (to pay their bills?)

As for the CryEngine logo, I think they stopped showing it when they converted to LumberJack.  I don't think that is legit.  I do remember seeing it on every video for a long time, but cannot remember off the top of my head as to when they did finally stop.  The days of the LumberJack announcement seem like they coincide with not showing that logo anymore. 

The lawsuit in general sounds like they just want money.  They want a piece of what CIG is raking in.  There might be a bit of jealousy as CIG has shown what it can do with the engine (3.0 release).  CryTek just needs to go away, can't believe they are still around (thought they dissolved already).

I have an additional motive. All this just to access the machine code and 'prove' there is or is not Crytek code inside.

Meanwhile, they get clues as to how CIG did all those things they never could.

(punny_alert) Hell, there is a Smart man who would be glad to scroll though the massive code lines. Just to see if Crytek has a case of course, not to build a Line Of Defense. (/punny_alert)

Oh well. It was funny to me. Done.. - DRUM out

5 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

I read a Reddit comment that someone contacted him and he said he was going to do a video tomorrow/today. :)

Its a livestream right now: For reference, this copyright lawyer represented the Star Mazer folks against Alex Mauer. He's reading the complaint and translating American-Lawyer speak into common English.

2 hours ago, Drum said:

Edit-sorry Drum, I don't actually have a comment referring to what you posted. 

His TL/DR is that: "they're interested in getting CIG/RSI to negotiate out of court" and that the complaint is barely enough (content wise e.g. there are no referenced proofs or evidence) to get it into court.

Here is the video link:

On 12/13/2017 at 3:01 PM, Dragon-Knight said:

Worrying but wait and see what happens.

This will not be an issue. I've been reading quite a bit of both the lawyer and shithouse lawyer perspectives on Reddit and Crytek is basically clutching at straws. Many of the lawyers that facilitated the Crytek/CIG deal now are working for CIG on this.

9 hours ago, Drum said:

Hell, there is a Smart man who would be glad to scroll through the massive code lines.

You do know that the code would be gibberish to him, don't you?

11 hours ago, Riley Egret said:

the best bone could be they didn't show Crytek logo anymore.

Crytek also did not obsertve their requirements under the agreement, hoping that CIG would make their code better (as part of their requirements under the contract). but with no quid pro quo, Crytek can suck it.

I higly doubt they have shown any CryTek property in their Bugsmashers series. They showed Code related to Star Citizen Bugs, Code they wrote themself and Bugs they produces themself. It may be that their code uses Methods that Cry provides but, comeon, a method signature is no property, the implementation is. I can give you the method signatures of Unreal Engine, Unity, Cryengine, IdTech and so on because they are and have to be public. Howe are you supposed to use their Code otherwise? lol

Also i wonder what exactly they have planned to use CIGs fixes / changes for. Sure the Object Container / Streaming system is a nice piece of technology but i doubt they can utilize it because 1) they have absolutely no clue about how it works, they'd have to spend weeks checking out their pre-implementation planning documents before they can even take hands on it. 2) It is designed for Star Citizen, not for Rise, not for Crysis - they would not only have to understand the system as they would have done it on their own, they would also have to port it in a way that not only Star Citizen can profit from it. Does CryTek really have the money to do such a thing (and there is not only the container streaming).

The only thing i could assume they could profit from is the 64Bit optimization to minimize problems occuring out of float percission when using massive scales compared to the player.

Keep in mind. We don't have all the information yet.
CIG broke from Crytek at around the same time that it was known that Crytek was failing to pay employees.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/12/10/13908156/crytek-employees-not-paid

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/241674-star-citizen-developer-chris-roberts-clarifies-engine-change-promises-move-amazons-lumberyard-wont-delay-game

This is reason enough for breaking an outsourcing contract. 
I personally lived this experience (not good at all). I was working at a client and my employer seized to pay us (and eventually went bankrupt). 
My client requested me to wait 2 months because they could only cancel the contract with my employer after that amount of time. And from that point on they could hire me without legal consequences.

And that was what happened. After two months my client canceled the contract with my company. I resigned and the next day was hired by the client.

I bet this is exactly what happened at CIG and the reason why so many people from Crytek are working there. 

Keep in mind. CIG is the client. Not Crytek. If Crytek broke their part of the bargain and did not provide the support that was expected and CIG has the legal right to cancel the agreement and move on to another partner. 

This is a desperate move from Crytek. It is not good for business when you sue your clients. 
They must be desperately in need of funds. 

So Crytek claims their license was only for a game called 'Star Citizen' and not 'Squadron 42'. Then they go on to say that they have made significant expenses on the Kickstarter presentation (which afaik Chris and Ortwin paid for with 1 million dollars out of their own pocket).

What I now find funny is that this Kickstarter presentation Crytek allegedly spent so much time and money on is about Squadron 42. :P

bC9Roqv.png

You'd think something like this would have come up at the game license bargaining table... ;)