Happy Hour - Drake Vulture, Drake Corsair, Drake Kraken

Danakar Endeel

1 hour ago, Reavern said:

Numerous car manufacturers make cars that can be modded for (illegal) street racing. Banks and credit cards have high fees and predatory lending practices. The pharmaceutical industry is responsible for the opioide crisis. NEXT. :rolleyes:

But car manufactuers DON'T ADVERTISE their cars for street racing. Banks and credit card companies DON'T ADVERTISE their predatory practices. And pharmaceuticals sure as hell DON'T ADVERTISE that their drugs are the cause of the opioid epidemic.

No company with stockholders and PR departments would ever publicly admit to the fact they fuel the problem, even if they are aware in some way they're the root cause in the first place.

Your explanations for the legit purposes of the Caterpillar, Cutlass, and Dragonfly are all paroted from CIG. The difference is that CR, BL, and DL always give the camera a ;);) whenever they talk about Drake ships.

You seem to get the point in the first sentence and then lose it in next. Everyone understands Drake Interplanetary is the "pirate manufacturer". But most also get that lore-wise, Drake doesn't admit to what it does because being acknowledging themselves as such in the Verse would be a PR disaster. There was an entire ATV devoted to kayfabe this, as well as several dispatches. We are crafting theories and expectations for the ship accordingly because that's mostly likely to inform what the ship will be in a use case, rather than trying to be informed by the meta of "it's a pirate carrier".

The Drake line-up of ships are intended to fulfill specific roles in a Pirate Org and complement each other. The Cutlass Black wasn't reworked and up-sized to make it a better commercial hauler, it was to make it a better raider.

It's also advertised as a "cheaper alternative to the Freelancer", thus making the Black's advertised use case as a hauler. Let's not forget there are two other versions, the Red and Blue, which will probably be used as pirate field hospitals and slaver vessels respectively despite not being advertised as such.

CIG is probably going to throw out the term "scout carrier" for a while to give people an idea of what it might represent among the pantheon of other ships in Star Citizen if/until it is in concept. It's a term that's a lot easier to digest than what it might end up as. But if/when it goes up for concept, the term "tender" will probably be worming its way into the lexicon surrounding it more than "carrier".

1 hour ago, Donut said:

We don't know what CIG is going to do because they don't even know themselves 90% of the time

True. Their multiple departments seem to completely forget the other departments exist from time to time, and the results are major changes that leave you scratching your head.

Hopefully 3.0 gives everyone more of an idea they're working towards and working with, and we see fewer incidents like when the Arena Commander team balanced the flight model in Universe (lolnonrechargingboostandafterburner).

Personally I like the idea of a small/medium salvage ship (and Vulture just sounds really cool).

I don't think we need any more exploration ships to be introduced for a while, we have quite a few already with Freelancer DUR, Origin 315, Origin 600i, Anvil Terapin and Anvil Carrack. Sure, they're made for different aspects of exploration, but still...

As far as a carrier goes, personally I'm not that interrested.. though I can see how people can be.

1 hour ago, Ostia said:

They are going to build all 3 of these ships. This isn't the first time we've been asked to vote on which ship they would build "first".
I'll bet all 3 of these ships see an atv reveal before 4.0. !remindme

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Yeah, I still remember the last time we were allowed to vote for a ship. :P

• Drake Dragonfly
  • Aegis Terrapin
  • Anvil Hurricane
  • MISC Reliant

Funny how all of them ended up being made (in some way, shape or form) anyway.  ;)

As such I suspect we will see 3 Drake concept ships at some point throughout 2018.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/16303-YOU-Pick-The-Next-Drake-Ship

Personally, I'd prefer number three. The enter level means it's the bottom of the barrel. Gotta say I do like the scout carrier. To be honest it's really what we need is a ownable carrier, which can take med-large 60-75m size ship. It's a shame that the carrier has the lead, but dropped back by 8 points by the end of the day. (Idris, is a mini pocket carrier) with very constricted sizes.    

Personally I like the idea of a small/medium salvage ship (and Vulture just sounds really cool).
I don't think we need any more exploration ships to be introduced for a while, we have quite a few already with Freelancer DUR, Origin 315, Origin 600i, Anvil Terapin and Anvil Carrack. Sure, they're made for different aspects of exploration, but still...

We have quite a few exploration ships, and almost no idea how exploration will work.

I'll just be over here practicing my golf swing. [emoji23]

i do like the idea of smal salvager, but not the concept they talked about, as that basicly means you are the salvager and the vulture is yust a smal hauler to put ya salvage in, if it was more like the miningship then it would be cool

on twitch i did see some pirates that rly want a mobile base as the kraken so they can get away when they have been spotted, a normal outpost would be destroyed once anti-pirates spotted it

I do really like @Reavern's idea of a ship hauler.  It fits so good in what I imagine Drake to be. 'Lets build a ship that move other ships and deliver them in any order...oops, pirates made a carrier out of it.'  Even could have a octopus shaped mouth. Sadly, that is not what it sounded like.

I imagine they could use automated stores to cut down on player need to run them. Sort of a big bennies but for ammo, and ship fuel. I have a lot a trouble imagining a truck stop, that is not persistent, can quantum travel, and is called 'THE KRAKEN'...or a scout carrier. Or...that sounds fun. "Yep, I cant go looting with the boyz, I have to run the truck stop. Its orbiting Daymar, all very dangerous and exciting. Come back when you need gas, or...want to talk to someone'.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:54 AM, Fizzlefuse said:

As far as a carrier goes, personally I'm not that interrested.. though I can see how people can be.

I don't understand why CIG needs to create so many entry-level dedicated role ships, like the Prospector or Hull A/B or the proposed Vulture. Virtually all the 1st Wave ships were multi-role ships (Aurora, 300i, Freelancer, Constellation, Cutlass) and the expectation was that we could customize these ships to perform various purposes. Instead of creating the MISC Prospector, why didn't CIG just create a mining mod for the MISC Freelancer? (I know the main reason: so they could sell an entry-level mining ship for $140 versus a $30 mod.)

CIG sorta did that with the 315p. It's the Exploration model of the 300 series, and it has a tractor beam on its nose hardpoint for recovering salvage -- although it wasn't fully thought out, because how does the nose tractor beam get the salvage into the ship's cabin?

I think it's fair to say that CIG has changed their ship design philosophy. In the early days, the produced multi-role ships and variant models were specific roles; the idea being that if you wanted to use your 300i for exploration, you could either buy different components in-game, or just pay an extra $15 for the 315p. Around the time that crowdfunding surpassed $30 million and the 3rd Wave Stretch Goal ships were announced, CIG hasn't been producing as many multi-role ships or variant models; instead the concept ships are mostly dedicated role ships -- with a few exceptions: the Mustang, Vanguard, and Reliant.

Circling back to the idea of a Drake Salvage Ship, why doesn't CIG make a new variant model of the Cutlass? Or, really, do they even need to bother with a new model? The Cutlass Black already has tractor beams for pulling loot into its cargo bay. All it needs is a cutting laser installed in the turret, and maybe special sensors for finding salvage, and it's a dedicated Salvage ship. Simple.

On 4-12-2017 at 4:55 AM, FoxChard said:

I voted for option 3, the Kraken.

My reasoning? Because all of the Devs on the stream said they realized the need for a single person salvage ship. This means that there will be a single person salvage ship. It will come into the game sooner or later, probably sooner, regardless of this vote.  They know they need single player industry ships. We got the Prospector because it would proof the mining concept. I fully expect a single person salvager, a sp-fuel sponge, and maybe a single person repair. We already have single person exploration, science, medical (well, nearly), bounty, pirate, combat ships, etc. 

I didn't like the concept they pitched for the Vulture, to me it sounded way too vulnerable and not like something I would like to fly. I would rather decline on the vulture, which may cause the single person salvager to shift manufacturers to something like RSI or MISC (a change of which I would probably approve). I don't mind Drake, but I got a strong "nope" feeling as they discussed the Vulture.

They'll make all 3. It's just a matter of which one first.

On 4-12-2017 at 4:27 PM, Danakar Endeel said:

Yeah, I still remember the last time we were allowed to vote for a ship. :P

• Drake Dragonfly
  • Aegis Terrapin
  • Anvil Hurricane
  • MISC Reliant

Funny how all of them ended up being made (in some way, shape or form) anyway.  ;)

As such I suspect we will see 3 Drake concept ships at some point throughout 2018.

It's because CIG intends to make all of them. But the illusion of choice creates audience participation. "I was involved in this process"

All of them will still sell like...hotcakes stroopwafels (changing the word because stroops are better) of course.

I just can't get over how crazy silly the Vulture concept was in the livestream and the equally silly "truckstop" features of Kraken. Were it up to me, the Vulture would be much nearer the Pioneer concept with ship mounted cutters and tractors able to slice out major components (doing all that by EVA would be very slow and you'd be incredibly vulnerable). I'd like it to follow the design language of the Caterpillar with the storage offset but in view of the pilot. I'd also like to see the Kraken concept pared back to being more like a car ferry or ro-ro transport ship. Yes, you could use it as a pocket carrier, but the weird store and truckstop stuff would be stripped out. If they left that functionality in though, it would expand the Banu Merchantman trading mechanics into another ship (competition is good).