Donut

Star Citizen Publicity

It seems that after this year's Citizencon, there seems to be a lot of positive vibes from people outside of the community and it's so refreshing. We're finally at a point where they can show off game mechanics and talk about development that doesn't make everyone's panties twist. Very enjoyable video and I encourage people to read through the comments to see some examples. 

Yes, I saw that video commentary from Pretty Good Gaming last week. I was pleased to see a positive report about Star Citizen from a game review site that recognize.

It used to piss me off every time Gamespot reported on Star Citizen, because they wouldn't post any links to RSI or post any of CIG's pics or videos that show off the game -- like they would for ANY other video game. Instead, every single GameSpot article mentioned Star Citizen's funding milestones and there was an overtly cynical tone: "Can you believe how much money Scam Citizen has conned out of gamers?" Gamespot was shamelessly pandering to their audience, triggering all the haters and trolls, who reinforced Gamespot's critical slant against Star Citizen. However, ever since Star Citizen released Star Marine and all the videos for Alpha 3.0, GameSpot hasn't been reporting on Star Citizen nearly as much as they used to. Obviously all the progress and evidence that Star Citizen is a playable game runs contrary to GameSpot's blatant bias, which is why they're conspicuously silent.

Same with IGN, they've barely mentioned Star Citizen in the last 5 years -- which is ironic, because IGN introduced me to Star Citizen with an article featuring the early 3D model pics of the Constellation, during the Kickstarter campaign. After I saw the pitch video, I was immediately on-board and pledged for the Connie. I can't remember the last time IGN mentioned Star Citizen.

It's not surprising that IGN and GameSpot, the two online game review sites most corrupted by the big evil game publishers, are the sites that aren't covering Star Citizen, because it's not being funded or published by those big evil game publishers. They don't want it to succeed. Probably because they're so used to getting bribes in the form of big swag boxes that they shamelessly plug in their unboxing videos.

Whereas Pretty Good Gaming is the polar opposite. They criticize the big evil game publishers all the time, especially over loot boxes and micro-transactions. Their videos represent GAMERS, not the greedy gaming industry. I believe that's why they're so positive about Star Citizen, because it's different than other "AAA games", which are all about micro-transactions now. I also like that PGG's positivity is tempered by reasonable expectations. They're obviously not fanboys that think everything is perfect. They acknowledge that Star Citizen's development has suffered delays and feature creep. I respect their objectivity. I really hope that PGG makes another video when Alpha 3.0 is finally released.

11 hours ago, Reavern said:

It's not surprising that IGN and GameSpot, the two online game review sites most corrupted by the big evil game publishers, are the sites that aren't covering Star Citizen, because it's not being funded or published by those big evil game publishers. They don't want it to succeed. Probably because they're so used to getting bribes in the form of big swag boxes that they shamelessly plug in their unboxing videos.

This is not the first time I've heard that.  I heard one idea that floated around a few years ago, where people were saying that one of the reasons the big publishers wanted SC to fail was so that once the dust settled from the collapse, they could buy all the customised/bespoke tech for pennies on the dollar... and scoop up as many of these devs with cutting-edge experience as they could for their own projects.

Pretty shitty move if you ask me, when the alternative (which they'd never do) would bring them better PR and generate shitloads of goodwill towards them, which is to grow some balls, perform serious R&D and develop a competing product.

Viral advertising threatens the existence of traditional media.  And these web sites are what stands as traditional media now-a-days.  Games like Star Citizen are a threat to their business model, because unlike most games, CIG doesn't need Gamespot and IGN to sell copies of itself.  Therefore if more games use the Star Citizen model to find success, Gamespot and IGN might go out of business.  It just makes business sense for them to spread FUD deliberately.

What I find interesting (this year at least) is how little coverage there is.  Last year, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, reminded their audiences that there was nothing from the Squadron 42 to show.  And boy did they criticize CIG for that.  That is why CIG released the footage a week later of them making the hard decision to cancel what they were going to show.  And I am surprised nobody is saying anything.  I think that their panel setup this year really negated a lot of the negativity with showing the progresses they are making in all aspects of the game.  And then the demo at the end to show off what is coming was impressive and possibly proof to show it is coming together now.