POTENTIAL RAVEN SCAMS! PSA

Glitch2210

Reading the terms of service of the raven promotion i just noticed some massive potential issues people should be made aware of. The ship is non transferable and non gift able, so the only way to buy it if you don't get the ssd will be to buy the unredeemed code.

HOWEVER, this is a massive risk! the ship is only valid as long as the ssd is not returned. so this opens up the possibility of scammers selling codes and then returning the ssd after the transaction has been made. this will delete the raven out of your account leaving you out anything you paid for it. it might be possible to charge back your card or something similar but the possibility of people trying to pull this scam is pretty high so i thought i should point it out since i haven't seen any talk about it yet.

be careful out there guys, stay alert!

* I am not sure if there is a better place to post this, but since we will likely see the rush with the raven coming out imminently i thought it best to post a warning since i am concerned about just how easy it could be to scam people with this ship. if there is a better place to post this or you would like to delete it please feel free just trying to spread the word before the WTS rush that's sure to come xD

Yeah they have sold out in a few online places such as:

https://promotions.newegg.com/intel/17-7377/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P9_intel%2f17-7377-_-%2F%2Fpromotions.newegg.com%2Fintel%2F17-7377%2F1920x360.jpg&icid=416244

Thats where I was able to pre-order the 280 PCI version from them. Looking forward to see that Raven xD 

8 hours ago, Hawkit said:

Yeah they have sold out in a few online places such as:

https://promotions.newegg.com/intel/17-7377/index.html?cm_sp=Homepage-Top2016-_-P9_intel%2f17-7377-_-%2F%2Fpromotions.newegg.com%2Fintel%2F17-7377%2F1920x360.jpg&icid=416244

Thats where I was able to pre-order the 280 PCI version from them. Looking forward to see that Raven xD 

yea new egg is literally the only place i can even find them listed :/ which sucks since i have actually been looking to get a new drive for months anyway so it would be totally perfect if i could find them being sold lol

I noticed this as well. good to put up this as a warning.

Ive been looking around for any local stores in the Netherlands and europe and either none carry it or have a placeholder, with a pricetag for over 1000 and a pre-order button. >_<. Ive contacted a couple of them via email and pretty much all of them have said they aren't sure if they'll sell these particular SSDs. :(

This warning is a very real issue and was mentioned originally via the Raven thread on friday but does deserve its own dedicated thread because of its potential to cause the community issues.
As for the ssd itself, the newegg site sold out almost immediately.
As a result ive contacted Amanda at CS to see what options they have and to suggest that CiG should offer SC memebers pre sale options directly through the CiG website so we dont have to combat the general public.
Ive also asked the question what if this ssd doesnt get offered where i live until the promotion is over as its only being offered for a limited time or until supply is gone.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, iLavVex said:

Just came from the Star Citizen Trades Subreddit, and it appears that the codes are safe to purchase in terms of the codes being returned. Here’s the link:

This appears to be a newegg specific thing however, unless i am reading it wrong. in which case unless you are 100% sure the code you are buying is coming from a newegg drive you are still susceptible to a scam. This is good info to know however, since i am getting my drive from newegg (i needed an upgrade anyway) so its nice to know if the drive has issues and i need to return it i wont lose my ship xD

3 hours ago, Glitch2210 said:

This appears to be a newegg specific thing however, unless i am reading it wrong. in which case unless you are 100% sure the code you are buying is coming from a newegg drive you are still susceptible to a scam. This is good info to know however, since i am getting my drive from newegg (i needed an upgrade anyway) so its nice to know if the drive has issues and i need to return it i wont lose my ship xD

Yeah, I totally forgot to specify the Newegg caveat there. I bought a code from someone there who proved it was indeed a Newegg purchase, so I should be fine. Currently don’t know about other vendors tho. If anyone figures something out, let us know here on the forums, the more we know the better!

4 minutes ago, iLavVex said:

Yeah, I totally forgot to specify the Newegg caveat there. I bought a code from someone there who proved it was indeed a Newegg purchase, so I should be fine. Currently don’t know about other vendors tho. If anyone figures something out, let us know here on the forums, the more we know the better!

Definitely.

• 4 years later...

For everyone's information, Raven code redemption is now halted by CIG to prevent the duplication of Raven (as explained here https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/tfrr7y/psa_sabre_raven_duplication_glitch/)

This is confirmed by SoftpointX, a known Raven code reseller : https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/tiahbd/wtb_sabre_raven_code/

So beware of ANY Raven sale now, as the Optane promotionnal code wont be redeemable anymore through the redemption page (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/intel-optane), so no more possible to get any new Raven now (well exept if you buy a whole account with it in hangar already).

Also there is a high chance CIG will remove those purchased through the dupe exploit, as Softpointx confirmed for himself.
So beware of game account sold with only a Raven, might be a duplicate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/13/2022 at 12:02 AM, vahadar said:

13/04/22 : redemption is active again.

Things are still working apparently. There was a person over on Reddit who allegedly managed to purchase an Optane drive last week which still came with the Raven promo-card and they were able to activate their code without any issues. :)

Not sure where the person is from and I don't remember where they bought it, but apparently some stores still have the Optane SSD with the Raven promo.

12 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Things are still working apparently. There was a person over on Reddit who allegedly managed to purchase an Optane drive last week which still came with the Raven promo-card and they were able to activate their code without any issues. :)

Not sure where the person is from and I don't remember where they bought it, but apparently some stores still have the Optane SSD with the Raven promo.

There is one online store in France that has some in stock at the moment (with the promotional), not sure how much (one?).

Untill recently (end 2021) Mouser.com also had them in stock, very limited number though. I got 2 from Mouser in early 2021 myself.

15 hours ago, Vlandarr said:

At least two of the sellers on Newegg have the drive without the code, I verified one (Sam Electronic) and another user on the post verified a second.  They reached out before shipping to let us know that it didn’t have it.

If you are the Vlandarr I know ;) I'll sent you on discord the link to the shop that still has it, you can contact them see if it is the one with the promotionnal (it is labelled as the one with the Star Citizen promotionnal).