Donut

Remember when we were young, and we discovered a game that initiated our online experience for gaming? I think World of Warcraft was my first real online game that I practically lived inside for nearly 5 years. These kids are experiencing the same thing in Star Citizen and it's quite funny, and bring back a lot of memories staying over at friends houses or mine playing Halo or WoW until we passed out as the sun was rising. It's nice to see that Star Citizen are these kids' introduction into an amazing online experience.

What was the first online game or online community that you guys remember? Mine was World of Warcraft on the Nazgrel server, BE Pally named Remmsteil :) 

My first online game was Starfleet Command III. Played over a 56k modem, and it was amazingly bad, but still fun. Trying to coordinate with members of the different Empires to take over territory, all the while dealing with crashes, lag, and the servers not updating properly. 

My first REAL Online community experience was with Star Wars Galaxies pre-CU. That game forced you into situations where they only way to exist or survive was to be with other people, and it encouraged massive amounts of creativity by having sprawling player made cities within in the world itself. It was an amazing experience, but also introduced me to my first "drama" experiences. 

Overall, I'm happy with the experiences I have had with communities, but I can't help but feel nostalgic about the games...I can't imagine how awesome an Imperium pre-CU SWG existence would be...but I can't wait to see us in action in Star Citizen!

For me, it was the magical land of Arma II Free Edition... hah. Logged into a domination server armed with nothing but 100 hours of Halo and a gung-ho attitude and got downright WHALLOPED. Respect your elders, or, at least those with bigger guns!!

SC is going to be unique to be sure... it's popular enough by now to attract those who aren't exactly acquainted with the PC environment, yet still enthralled by the possibilities! 1.4 million UEE members and growing fast! Yet it's still at that stage where the game kind of throws you off the high dive into the deep end of the pool --  learn or die, at least for a little while, until the curve lessens with future tutorials... (arma never got over that curve!)

I seriously do hope SC is capable of the story generation that Arma and WoW seemed to create so fantastically... it's the unintended experiences that are almost always the best.

The first online game for me was Battlefield 2. After a short time playing the multiplayer of the game, I got into mods. In particular, I enjoyed the Sandbox mod (essentially allowed you to do anything using the game assets). I joined my first clan, called the Sonic Hornets, and we used to do Blue Angel-inspired aerobatic stunts in the game. The collision models back then were iffy, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. A short video of what we did can be seen in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Following on from that, I got into the Project Reality mod for BF2 and my second clan (Hardcore Gaming). This took the core BF2 engine, and basically redid everything else. It was for all intents and purposes a whole new game. For those not aware of what it was, it was a mod which made everything super realistic - essentially a milsim. I have in total 1000's upon 1000's of hours in that mod. I think my favourite thing about it was the lack of progression - everyone had access to the same stuff. For those of you familiar with the game Squad, this was where those developers started. The rest is, as they say, history. I was hooked.

The first (PC/Mac) game I really dedicated a lot of time to was Bungie’s Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter.

I got involved in a modding/mapmaking group for Myth II and had a great time in the community.

Then came World of Warcraft and I lost myself in that game for many years. That was the game that showed me massive multiplayer. I remember walking into Ironforge for the fist time.. that just blew me away.

I still play WoW but not as dedicated, it’s more to pass the time until Star Citizen gets to a point where I can actually play the game without getting bored😉

I have imagined a first time Star Citizen’s experience at a time where the game will be actually out and I must say I’m a little envious of that, since my experience will be different because I was there seeing the pudding being made.

• 2 weeks later...

The first game I played online that I can remember was probably Delta Force 2 (where I was immediately stabbed in the back after wandering into a DM lobby - fun times). But the first real love for online gaming came from SWAT 3 back in 2000 where I met a group of guys who formed one of the most well know 'clans of the game back then and some of whom are still around today and are indeed backers of the BDSSE.