The Dangers of Private Servers: RIP Elysium (Nostalrius)

Chimaera

So I have been jonesing for some good, old-fashioned WoW, so after shopping around the last two weeks, I settled on the Elysium Project. This is the "successor" to Nostalrius, and the server group that Nostalrius sent all of their source code to before they closed down. The community seemed pretty nice, they had PvP and PvE Servers that had decent population, and things were going well. 

Then I tried to check their forums today and found everything was closed.  I checked the facebook group and found this post:

http://Lightshope.org

So, the TL;DR is that some crooked server admins had been absconding with server donations, while also generating in-game gold for gold-selling services, as well as running a "hush hush" character copying service where people could pay  money to have any character someone else had copied and given to them. This was happening the most on the PvP server with top level Arena players.

This is definitely a saddening thing, when people use the good will of others to abscond with funds for personal reasons and abuse their positions to make money. Makes me glad that I am here on SCB and with such a great group of people and leadership who are transparent. 

Cheers all, and be wary when getting too invested in private servers!

Added info 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=bj9Eb1IdwdQ

Additional info: Appears that there will be an "Elysium" and a "Lights Hope" now. The "clean" staff split off from the Elysium project and took all the server information with them in order to start up a clean environment server system. Elysium may come back up as originally done, but who knows what'll happen from there.

There would be no point outside of training situations, and CIG already stated that the private server systems would be far less capable than the PU. 

18 minutes ago, Hudute said:

this is amazing, oh the drama. Cant wait till the lawsuits around this get started, cant imagine this kind of shady shit being too uncommon btw.

Go to the reddit thread or search “Elysium shutdown meeting”. The audio is epic, with one of the devs threatening the other with “you know I know where you live, right?” Stuff.

We're already seeing the effects of "gold farming" or in SC case, "credit farming". If CIG doesn't catch it early the entire cash for credit system will be even more chaotic and black market than the grey market and account sales. I'm worried that because Turbulent handles sales for CIG, they won't care or catch what's going on. We can already see it even here on SCB. I'd like to suggest not allowing sales of credits on SCB because it feels like it's borderline illicit goods and services buying the credits at a discount.

And that sucks about the revamp of Nostalrius, but I'm sure a good portion of the community knew it was going on, just not the source of it. Hopefully it can get sorted out, but I highly doubt it as issues like this on private servers will always be prevalent. 

I posted about a new private server that is coming online for Archeage, it will have the same issues as the WOW private server, lets hope if doesn't fall for those abuses, but i can see where people try and get a way with it, just look at people who use cheats in single player games it makes life way to easy :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Even more epic news on this.

The Elysium people (the ones selling the services and stealing donations) set up a botnet/phishing site where they claimed if you accessed it with your credentials for the Lights Hope (guys who took the code and left) server, they'd recover your toons from Lights Hope with the updated character info. Instead it deletes all the toons on Lights Hope for the person who uses it.

https://forum.lightshope.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=884&p=3546#p3546

2 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

Even more epic news on this.

The Elysium people (the ones selling the services and stealing donations) set up a botnet/phishing site where they claimed if you accessed it with your credentials for the Lights Hope (guys who took the code and left) server, they'd recover your toons from Lights Hope with the updated character info. Instead it deletes all the toons on Lights Hope for the person who uses it.

That sounds like a felony if charged

LOL this is epic.

After using the botnet tool.

After scraping the server and deleting people's toons who were stupid enough to use the tool.

After all of the other shit they did.

They've now announced their "changes" to the game.

1. Everyone's characters get 16 Gold and a Bombay Cat pet.

2. You can request any kind of gear that you claim got lost.

3. They put a NPC in the major hub areas to provide INSTANT RESETS of ALL raid timers.

*facepalm*

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wrathpole said:

Always wanted to get into this but now guess I'll wait for "classic"

I play in the Lights Hope server sets on the Darrowshire PvE server right now. I chose PvE for a number of reasons especially related to my absolute lack of time to devote to gaming at this moment. Don't feel like spending half of my game-time corpse running while people gank.