It's time for Global LTI

Donut

This global LTI call has happened over and over and over in the last half-decade. It will never happen as a retroactive phenomenon. That said, anyone can have LTI on any ship so long as they get things during concept sales and CCU later on. The only non-LTI we see is on packages, and I think a good solution to that would be to have a $5 or $10 LTI purchasable token. That would cement the "low cost" of LTI. The problem, however, is that if all ships at launch have LTI, then the overall economies of ships for sale, purchase, replacement, etc... are going to be buggered until much further in the cycle of the game's life.

LTI was to be removed at the end of the Kickstarter. Then they announced they would continue it for a year. At the end of that period, they removed LTI... And then brought it back with concept sales. At this point it is just ridiculous.

There is only 1 reason why LTI still is a thing - Artificial Supply/Demand.

LTI drives sales. I know many people (myself included at times), who would not pledge for a ship if it did not have LTI. As a consequence, we buy a number of ships that we may not even like during concept on the off-chance it becomes something we actually do want, and we want it with LTI. This is the only acceptable reason why LTI still exists, all the other BS CIG tells us is just that - BS.

As an original Kickstarter backer, I wish they kept their original promise (no LTI after KS), but I can understand people wanting LTI. Personally as things have happened now, I feel that LTI should be retroactively applied to ALL real-money sales. Keep the insurance mechanic in the game for in-game purchased ships, but real money ships should be safe. Even after release, I feel that any ship sold for real money should have LTI attached.

Just my $0.02

This is one of the rare cases I disagree with Noobifier.

A world where the car producer replaces a "car" everytime it gets wrecked? Seriously? What are the incentives to drive safely then?

I own a SH, how many times will I lose it in my career? 10? 20?

People gets angry with the "magical" space whale but are okay with a world that just gifts people substitutes of their ships like candies..... we're reaching Star Trek replicator levels.

I would cut down on LTI for the future instead, if I had to pick.

Its a hard topic.... if they did keep it as LTI for only early backers and stopped it (like they said) then we wouldn't need to be talking about it....

When i backed SC (granted it was alot later than the early backer) i didnt know the tricks and and how they worked, CCU/Buy Backs/LTI tokens and how to use these to your benefit. In my mind LTI was a little something "WOW"..... but with what i know now its a bit meh... as all my fleet (standalone ships that is) are LTI

Should they get rid of LTI now? Probably no as its the wrong direction to go at this point

Should LTI be on all ships? Possibly, i mean if you know to hoard the <$35-LTI ships..... you basically have all LTI ..... At the same time, i would be happy with buying standalone ship packs of the actual ships and then paying $5ish dollars to upgrade it to LTI. (to keep it sort of "fair" there could be some sort of requirement before you can get these LTI upgrades, be it you can only get it during sales/promos, have spent a total of $XXX, be a backer before XX/YY/ZZZZ but again only im not too sure if you'd need this "only if" system)

Should it stay as is? Most likely will.... there are many backers who know how to play the system and have been doing so for a while... they at this point all have LTI ship (for the most part - game packs etc) and a stockpile of usable tokens for later... The ones that don't and now are sort of "stuck" with non LTI are just bummed out and really want the "free" LTI and will push for that option... then you have the guys who have used the grey market (paying extra) to get the LTI and now they will be bummed out as its gonna be a lot easier to get it now... And with that sellers also lose out as the market will die down a little...

In short im for it being all LTI everything! and i want to add a "...but here's the catch" type thing.... which essentially brings us to almost exactly where we are now with the current system...

As for LTI vs non LTI ships ingame...(keep in mind almost everybody will have insurance for the first 6 or so months anyways at the games start) there is no real difference..... just one person will have to pay a small ongoing fee.... both will not want to ram/grief as each subsequent ship will be harder and harder to get and its not really the point of this discussion.

7 hours ago, danredda said:

I wish they kept their original promise

Makes me wonder if they will go back on their promise of no ship sales after launch.

3 hours ago, xKiLlFrEnZyx said:

there is no real difference..... just one person will have to pay a small ongoing fee.... 

It's all money sinks.  Everyone will have hangar fees, everyone will have refuel and rearming costs, everyone might have deductibles, everyone will have taxes.  Without some sort of money sink excess cash will cripple the market with inflation.

I think LTI will stay the way it is.  "Profitable for CIG", and if they want to do anything about it they can decrease the cost of keeping an Idris insured to 1UEC a month and make LTI effectively worthless.

Its a big topic with lots of opinions and ties in another topic equally as big... "What is LTI actually cover?" i only have a few minutes here but id say that greymarket is a mirror shadow of its self from the inteoduction of ccus, this current call to arms is both untimely and will result in marginal inpact to that market but would hurt people looking for ships no longer available. Additionally as mentioned lti concept sales help sales so cig wont make it wide spread.
With regards to lti it also has limitation and isnt a guarentee of replacement... Eg low sec areas, ganking,etc

Time to work

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

Makes me wonder if they will go back on their promise of no ship sales after launch.

Of course there will be. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. My guess is they will have 3 or so tiers of game packages (with a few choices at those tiers). For example:

$60 Basic Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, plus your choice of the Aurora MR or Mustang Alpha spacecraft. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance. (This is the lowest package, every game package has a ship)

$150 Fighter Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, plus your choice of the F7C Hornet or the Sabre spacecraft. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance.

$150 Trader Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, plus your choice of the Freelancer or Hull B spacecraft. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance.

$300 Advanced Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, and cruise around in your very own Constallation Andromeda. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance.

11 minutes ago, danredda said:

Of course there will be. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. My guess is they will have 3 or so tiers of game packages (with a few choices at those tiers). For example:

$60 Basic Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, plus your choice of the Aurora MR or Mustang Alpha spacecraft. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance. (This is the lowest package, every game package has a ship)

$150 Fighter Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, plus your choice of the F7C Hornet or the Sabre spacecraft. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance.

$150 Trader Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, plus your choice of the Freelancer or Hull B spacecraft. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance.

$300 Advanced Starter - Get access to the Star Citizen universe, and cruise around in your very own Constallation Andromeda. This package comes with 3 months of hull insurance.

I like this sort of game entry options. None of it pay to win.

I believe all paid-with-real-money ships should always have had a guarantee of not -ever- irreversibly going "poof". Yes, that means LTI. If there would be a hard guarantee of a ship not, ever, under any circumstances being able to leave its hangar (therefore potentially be destroyed) without a valid insurance, I would be inclined to consider how "meaningless" LTI is based on how much extra effort it would take me to acquire said missing insurance (not that I'm inclined to ever waste any on that, but I would see at least the point).

However, as long as it is possible to take off uninsured, all $$$-bought ships should be LTI. Consider it an admission from CIG that goods paid for (with princely sums no less most of the time) should not be subject of permanent destruction if you're with the "we buy ships" crowd, or a gesture of grateful reciprocation for your generous support if you're a "we fund development" partisan, I don't care. Bottom line is CIG taking all that money then going "haha sucks to be you, suckerrrrrrr!" under specific conditions will never EVER pass as anything other than dishonorable back-stabbing in my book, no matter how many layers of "but it's your fault!" CIG would like to hide behind. Just my immutable $0.02 anyway...

19 hours ago, Chimaera said:

I think a good solution to that would be to have a $5 or $10 LTI purchasable token. That would cement the "low cost" of LTI. The problem, however, is that if all ships at launch have LTI, then the overall economies of ships for sale, purchase, replacement, etc... are going to be buggered until much further in the cycle of the game's life.

I do agree with that and it would be neat to see this concept get thrown at the Evocati for testing. However I don't believe the economy will be effected by ship insurance, since we're paying a terminal or an insurance tab in our Mobiglas and not an actual NPC or physical entity in the game. I can however expand upon this and look at how the example of, depending on the economy of the system effects how quickly you may recieve your insured ship and additional items covered under additional blanket insurance services, however I believe those two mutually effect each other either very little, or none at all.

I don't think CIG should put themselves in the position of deleting someone's virtual goods they paid real money for due to gameplay concerns.  Maybe if they sold the game in another way, but they haven't, they've sold it this way.  $125 and you get a Hornet, $800 and you get a Polaris.  And you're going to take that away from someone if their kid brother leaves space dock with the insurance in lapse and crashes the ship?  I always despised people who used the "kid brother" excuse for poor MMO behavior, but too much can be tied to RL money in Star Citizen at this point.  I think CIG has boxed themselves into a corner, and LTI for every ship bought with RL money is inevitable. 

I completely agree with the Noobifier's reasoning.

All CIG has to do is make it possible to insure a ship whilst in space and then make it compulsory for ships to have insurance before you can take off or fly in normal space and most of the problem goes away. As stolen ships have all insurance revoked, this won't affect 'pirates' operating from non-official locations.

The 'need' for LTI is self generated hype and has nothing to do with the actual game.