Build help Help me with my build

T-rex

I am set on the cpu and thanks to @Basard on his case post I pick his case. 

I was wondering  If there anything I should change before the new cpu become available.

I am not too worry about the monitor  since I will change it at a later date when I went with VR 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7dMQm8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7dMQm8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($399.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($79.39 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($169.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card  ($774.87 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Anidees - AI Crystal (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($258.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $2290.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts

Sorry copy paste did not come out right. I will try to fix it tomorrow  when I am able to use my laptop 

Everything looks fine except the $100 for Windows. Get in touch with an Imperium member on here or on TS and they can hook you up with a key for like $10-$15. The savings will allow you to maybe get an AIO cooler, recommend this: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2RdFf7/nzxt-kraken-x62-rev-2-982-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx62-02 

You can invest in something else with the savings but an AIO will go a long way especially for a chip like the 8700K

8700k....check    Z370 board....check   Everything else is basically your choice based on your budget, i think this build will last you quite a while and def would run star citizen very well. Also investing in 2x8GB sticks will allow you to upgrade later with another 2x8GB, however the price increase if you get the same model ram sticks is $175. (just a personal preference, be honest you would be ok with 2x4gb and then upgrading to 4x4gb later if needed if you only use your computer for gaming).

Also, I would agree with the above though, save on the windows and invest in a AIO water cooler, the 8700k apparently from what i saw from benchmarks, runs a bit on the hot side.

I really like the MSI Gaming series coolers on cards.  I'm using one on my 980 and love it.  Looks like a solid build and I'd check into some of the suggestions here like what LtAttack and Donut said.  Either way; it's a good build and you can't go wrong with a 1080ti ^^  

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the AIO. 

The 8700x, z370 and the 1080ti are the only thing I know I want. The rest are just click off pcpartpicker with out knowing much about them 

On 12/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, GeraldEvans said:

What Donut said. You can also get a key from Reddit.

Yup -> https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ is where I got my Windows 10 Key

Also agree with Donut. If you're getting a K SKU processor, and a Z chipset, you are wasting money if you get an air cooler. Trust me, water is very much worth it (I run stable .6GHz OC on my 6850k with ease on all cores on water, and struggle to hit past 80C under load).

8GB of ram may be enough for some games, but if you're investing in a 1080Ti and an 8700k, you should invest in 16GB ram at minimum (you will be pushing the limits of 8GB running things maxed out). For example, running Rise of the Tomb Raider at 4k maxed out on my system, as well as a few chrome tabs and other processes, and I'm already at 10GB (16% of my 64GB RAM). If I remember right, Star Citizen uses even more.

RAM.png.d28ca8e7a4985b456c36bb84a29341b0.png

EDIT: Just ran SC, maxed at 4k it uses nearly an additional GB over RoTTR, making total usage around 11GB

RAM2.png.9f1ace62fb5552faad0552418801bb75.png

I run a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler and stay under 80C with a 1GHz base overclock (3.2GHz to 4.2GHz).  I honestly dislike AIOs (personal bias here; not that they're bad) and chose air.  The beQuiet! cooler you have is very good and will allow for some overclocking headroom; for max OC go with liquid or a bigger air cooler.  Keep in mind that beefy air cooler heavily restrict RAM height.  If you're going to max out all of the DIMM slots your board has then I'd double check height clearance or just go liquid.  It's a little bit of a price premium but removes possible headaches down the road.

Look here for other stuff for your rig: 

And Ryzen is a less expensive option. Nyah.

7 hours ago, rimmer59 said:

I run a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler and stay under 80C with a 1GHz base overclock (3.2GHz to 4.2GHz).  I honestly dislike AIOs (personal bias here; not that they're bad) and chose air.  The beQuiet! cooler you have is very good and will allow for some overclocking headroom; for max OC go with liquid or a bigger air cooler.  Keep in mind that beefy air cooler heavily restrict RAM height.  If you're going to max out all of the DIMM slots your board has then I'd double check height clearance or just go liquid.  It's a little bit of a price premium but removes possible headaches down the road.

I run an FX-8350 OC'd to 4.3GHz with the Arctic Cooler Freezer 240 and don't go over 39 deg C. $90 at Newegg

Tom's hardware review

• 2 weeks later...

Intel enthusiast Z390 chipset out the start of next year (8 core 16 thread CPUs). I highly expect that Z370 will be a dead end platform in terms for upgrades (CPU) later down the line. Also PCIe 4 is out next year on AMD's next platform around March time which is also something to consider.

If this build is for star citizen I'd highly suggest a 8 core physical core build for Vulcan patch.

I have the MSI Lightning Z version of the 1080TI and I really like the card, very fast and very quiet (very heavy too :lol:). Like the others said: go for 16GB ram, you will need it in the near future. Also buy an OEM license key of Windows 10pro, it is legal and only costs between $10 and $20. You download the Windows iso from Microsoft, install it on a USB drive, boot from USB and enter the key during the installation process (or after) and you are good to go.

• 1 month later...

Update on my build. 

I pick up  the 8700k and motherboard yesterday!! Woot woot.  

I try  to install it and it was bend :( just my luck :(

Back to micro center and they replace it without a question.  SO HAPPY again. 

I brought the rest of the parts for the build at micro center with price match... 

I did went with the me.2 and also got 32gb of ram.  Had to order the anidees online so will have to wait a bit longer to put everything together 

20171127_221118.jpg

20171127_221138.jpg

That ONE BIG CPU FAN .... sorry still getting happy looking at the picture. I did not know it was really that big until I install it 

• 2 weeks later...