8700K & 8600K reviews leaked

Caldon

Several reviews of the upcoming Intel 8th gen CPU's have leaked, and they look like AMD needs to watch out.

In the reviews (with synthetic benchmarks here) it looks like the 8700K manages to slightly outperform the vaunted 1800X at multicore.

If this is true, the 8700K is an incredible CPU, as it actually manages to outperform a CPU with 25% more cores and a (presumed) +150 euro pricetag, depending on where you live. Not to mention that it manages to seriously outpace it in gaming. Could Intel have stolen the price/performance crown from AMD here?

Lastly, the reviews state that the 8600K was overclocked to 5.1GHz. While this is great, the CPU got up to temps of 92 degrees C. Still. Perhaps Intel learned from their critics regarding TIM. October 5th will be an interesting day, guys.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:17 AM, Caldon said:

and they look like AMD needs to watch out.

I doubt AMD cares as long as they sell the Ryzen CPUs - which are very competitive performance wise. Of course, Intel fanboys will tout specs etc, but AMD fanboys don't care.

a4b386613794e4c7cd10e5b37246fd64_XL.jpg

1bfc6039-3afd-4e62-b96f-74fb8f9a5a01.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGQ3lxFx-DA&feature=youtu.be&t=2m35s

And besides CPUs Intel seems to have partnered with CIG to promote more hardware specifically to boost the performance of Star Citizen.

I mean the game is not even half finished (and wont be another couple of quarters/years?) and they already sell hardware to accelerate it. A little too early for my taste... ...fanboy-hardware anyone?^^

€dit: Sry, had to go with the youtube-link instead of embedding it, otherwise would play the whole video instead of only the Star Citizen part.

Edited by Maverick

I like the fact (jokingly) Intel has made the 7700K (after 6 months of it going live), an I3 processor.

People have got to be feeling salty right about now.... :S

But Intels also launching a Hex core on another board set called Z390. Waiting to see IPC, core speed TCP and temps on that one over Zen.

Then again we could be having the same chat with "Zen 2" when that launch's early next year. Intel needs to deliver, but this lack of motherboard ecosystem is going to heavily impact people on buying coffee lake.

To me, the new rivalry is a double edged sword. The new competetiveness in AMD has finally forced Intel to start competing again!

But on the other hand, technology will advance quicker now, so that means stuff I buy will be dated faster :(

20 hours ago, Caldon said:

It's likely that Coffee lake won't sell very well, seeing how Ice Lake is about a year away and promises an 8 core mainstream CPU.

That's troubling to hear, lack of Ecosystem is bad for gamers and Intel know this.

Intel make fantasic CPU's, my 6700k was a great investment at the time. But it's ecosystem was only 2 years which is still far too short.

If AMD forced their hands to bring out 6 & 8 cores then shame on Intel, because they already had the tech and chips at the time to bring out 8 cores on Skylake.

9 hours ago, Caldon said:

To me, the new rivalry is a double edged sword. The new competetiveness in AMD has finally forced Intel to start competing again!

But on the other hand, technology will advance quicker now, so that means stuff I buy will be dated faster :(

I'm less concerned about that than I am the fact these components are now hitting the wall architecture-wise. It used to be that ship sizes remained relatively the same size and shape for over years because the architecture would get smaller. But now we're at a point where it isn't getting smaller, and the only way to make it more powerful is to make the chip size bigger. This means we're looking at a near future where motherboards will get slightly bigger, and cooling solutions more complex.

30 minutes ago, J. Coren said:

I'm less concerned about that than I am the fact these components are now hitting the wall architecture-wise. It used to be that ship sizes remained relatively the same size and shape for over years because the architecture would get smaller. But now we're at a point where it isn't getting smaller, and the only way to make it more powerful is to make the chip size bigger. This means we're looking at a near future where motherboards will get slightly bigger, and cooling solutions more complex.

SLG6hp4.jpg

1 hour ago, J. Coren said:

There is talk in the tech community of getting rid of the CPU architecture entire, and using the Graphics Interface design for both GPU and CPU applications. We may see entirely new designs in 5-10yrs where it's two cards and no CPU socket at all. Want a new CPU? Buy it on a PCIE card and just plug it in.

No SC release -> no new PC

I guess Intel/AMD don't get my money this generation

That said I like the single core performance maybe I buy one to play Dwarf Fortress :) 

EDIT: also thx @Caldon I'm the great Cornholio I need 3D²⁰⁰⁰ for my GPU⁰⁰

I dont know if i entirly believe that artical about the 8700k being top dog for ganers. Ive recently seen some youtube reviews which state it still isnt using those 6 cores and the 7700 comes up on top in single core tests with many games, so where is this articals bench tests to back up their cliams of success?
Also i just checked newegg and they show the following; https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16819117827?ignorebbr=1&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL100517&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL100517-_-EMC-100517-Index-_-ProcessorsDesktops-_-19117827-S0A
They have the 8700k as 3.7 clock speed not 4.7 and they show it as a socket 1151 not a new setup as this artical suggests.
Maybe im misunderstanding... Lots of this info gets confussing, when manufacturers try to make a big deal out of relatively minor improvements. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, AstroJak said:

I dont know if i entirly believe that artical about the 8700k being top dog for ganers. Ive recently seen some youtube reviews which state it still isnt using those 6 or 8 cores and the 7700 comes up on top in single core tests with many games, so where is this articals bench tests, to back up their cliams of success?

According to most benchmarks, the 8700K is a wrecking ball, but it loses to the 7700K with a few FPS almost every time (the only exception being the times it can use it's 2 extra cores). Interesting.

Now, maybe this is wishful thinking, but perhaps optimizations will allow the 8700K to surpass the 7700K. If not, well, it's still a really solid CPU that beats the 1800X at everything while costing less.

According to most benchmarks, the 8700K is a wrecking ball, but it loses to the 7700K with a few FPS almost every time (the only exception being the times it can use it's 2 extra cores). Interesting.

Now, maybe this is wishful thinking, but perhaps optimizations will allow the 8700K to surpass the 7700K. If not, well, it's still a really solid CPU that beats the 1800X at everything while costing less.

Also i see on intel website its TDP is 95w which is a rather nice surprise but shouldnt result in excessive heat unless your overclocking but that's kind of rhetorical. I also like the fact its using the 1151 socket which gives my MB some new life. Additionally the price point is appealing!

If only it truely supported all 6 cores and had more then 16 pcie lanes it would be an alround winner.

Just now, AstroJak said:

Also i see on intel website its TDP is 95w which is a rather nice surprise but shouldnt result in excessive heat unless your overclocking but that's kind of rhetorical. I also like the fact its using the 1151 socket which gives my MB some new life. Additionally the price point is appealing!
If only it truely supported all 6 cores and had more then 16 pcie lanes it would be an already winner.

Yeah, about your motherboard...

The Intel 8000 series only supports Z370, and the Z370 mobo's only support the Intel 8000 series. No backwards compatability.

As for supporting all 6 cores, I don't follow you?

21 minutes ago, Caldon said:
Yeah, about your motherboard...

The Intel 8000 series only supports Z370, and the Z370 mobo's only support the Intel 8000 series. No backwards compatability.

As for supporting all 6 cores, I don't follow you?

Well that sucks.... Thats 1 for the artical!

As for 6 cores... most multi core processors actually rely on a single core to handle most of the load. Some of the newer ones actually spread this out to 2 but non to date equally share the processing load across all Nth cores to fully utilize them.

Of course in reference to gaming only

update - ref from article regarding software necessary for multi core use;

"While the concept of multiple core processors sounds very appealing, there is a major caveat to this ability. In order for the true benefits of the multiple processors to be seen, the software that is running on the computer must be written to support multithreading. Without the software supporting such a feature, threads will be primarily run through a single core thus degrading the efficiency. After all, if it can only run on a single core in a quad core processor, it may actually be faster to run it on a dual core processor with higher base clock speeds."