Build help 4k monitor suggestions.

Daishi

Hey all,

So I recently picked up a 1080ti card and boy does my game run so much better now. With that card power comes the opportunity to play in 4k.

What I have gathered is I need a 4k monitor that has support for HDR and 1-4 ms of response time.

I am looking for a screen that's 24-32 inches in size.

Would anyone have any suggestions on monitors that fit those two criteria?

Keep in mind I'd like nice colours and such....why pay hundreds/thousands to have washed out colours?

Thanks!

Just a silly question but why 4k and more importantly why 4K on a small screen? Do you have eagle vision? ;) IMHO 4K is only useful on >36" screens. I currently game on a 34" 3440 X 1440 screen and I really don't need more pixels. If you want to game between 24"-32" then wait a few months and then buy a good GSync2 screen with HDR and high refresh rates at a lower resolution; you will be a lot happier with 100+fps than with a 4k screen that your graphics card can barely get 60 fps on. Personally I am waiting for a GSync2 3840x1600 screen between 38" and 43" but that isn't just for gaming but also productivity (at least that is what I keep telling myself to justify it :lol:)

He's right. I've always looked at the 34"-38" ultra wide monitors at 3440-1440/1600 because you generally get between 75-100hz. And now they're about to release another 3440-1440 ultra wide with 200hz. If you can't wait, sure, go ahead and get the 4k I recommended. But monitors are an investment for many years, and I don't believe the current 4k monitors are good investments.

I have a 4k Gsync monitor myself (XB281HK). If you want my opinion, you could wait until the new Asus/Acer monitors using the Quantum-dot 4k HDR 144hz panels come out. They will be pricey (read around $1000-$2000), but may also cause a drop in price in the previously mentioned panels. I am waiting now until these panels come out before I upgrade my monitor again (and will be hoping some of the others will come down).

Gsync really does make a difference. Even when my frames dip in SC, I notice 0 tearing of the image on the screen. It really is quite phenomenal the difference in smoothness it makes.

EDIT: 1 more really big problem with 4k is support. Whilst it is certainly better now than a year ago, some games (although generally smaller titles), have UI issues with 4k displays with the UI rendering extremely small due to a fixed resolution.

Okay, well seeing as everyone is telling me to wait, I will.

What monitors/tech should I be looking out for? Im not really in the loop with monitor stuff, so knowing what to keep my eyes and ears open for so I know when to buy a product would be great.

13 minutes ago, Daishi said:

What monitors/tech should I be looking out for? Im not really in the loop with monitor stuff, so knowing what to keep my eyes and ears open for so I know when to buy a product would be great.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11491/acer-asus-unveil-35inch-gsync-hdr-monitors-ultrawide-curved-200hz

Or the 144 fps version of the IPS LG 38UC99 which hopefully will also get a Gsync2 module. ;)

LG.Display are also investing in even larger ultra-wide screens in the curved 37.5" space. We've seen the first of these appear in monitor form in September 2016 in the form of the LG 38UC99. These new panels offer a 24:10 aspect ratio and 3840 x 1600 resolution. The panel already in production and used in that LG screen is a maximum 75Hz refresh rate. However, we know that LG.Display are intending to produce a 144Hz compatible version. Sadly this isn't expected to go in to production until Q4 2017 at the moment. Panel part number to be confirmed.

I know a lot of people who don't like using a TV for pc gaming but I bought this TV 3 months or so ago and I am really, really happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN49KU7500-Curved-49-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01DR4T7YA

I got the 49 inch version and people were telling me that it is too big and I would have to move my head the whole time (= neckpain?) but that is not the case at all, plus it looks glorious having a 49 inch monitor :P. As others have mentioned 4k only shines when you have a bigger picture.

However it is only 60hz but as I would rather have a super nice clean picture instead of high fps, I went that way. I got a 1080ti as well and max out everything and every game runs 60 fps the whole time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 3:42 PM, Daishi said:

Don't believe manufacturer hype. Look for an IPS monitor first and foremost - better color rendering than a TN. I believe that most of us use a 1440p/144Hz monitor. I use a 23" and a 25", both IPS, the 23" is 1080p, the 25" is 1440p

I recommend looking in the Hardware thread for sales and other details re: hardware (shameless plug, I know) I try to keep the thread up to date - always good to save money and see what you might want to consider for your rig.

I recently put these both on my wish list on Amazon. At 4K 120hz native and MotionflowXR/Trumotion, you can essentially get the same features that both AMD and Nvidia offer without being bound by the brand. It's also a bit cheaper than a lot high end monitors. The Sony 2017 models are one of the best you can get as far as a TV for a monitor. The LG boasts high response time but lacks HDR, however it's a bit cheaper than Sony.

MotionFlow/Trumotion (The difference being MotionFlow from Sony and Trumotion from LG)

When you have a film that is filmed at 24 Hz, there are two different ways to put it on a 120-Hz television set. One is to show each frame five times. The other, which is what Sony MotionFlow does, is to create frames that represent averages of the two frames and show them in the intervals between the two original frames. Doing this creates a smoother and more natural appearance. However, because it looks very different from the slightly jittery motion you see at the movies or on traditionally filmed television, some feel that it looks unrealistic, referring to it as the "soap opera effect." If you do not enjoy the appearance of the MotionFlow processing on your Sony TV, you can turn it off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N284JCN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3PH9IE5P3EAJR&colid=23Q86SNCUAWJX&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-65UJ7700-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01MSD6BC3?th=1

(Personally I would still go with Sony despite it being several hundred more and ~15 more latency just to have HDR)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, like you I also have a GTX1080 ti. I'm using an Asus ProArt 32" 4K monitor. Like the name suggests this monitor isn't aimed at gaming. But it does have a 5ms response time (not bad for an IPS panel). However, I haven't had any issues with it while gaming (Battlefield 1, Mass Effect, and of course SC). It's been perfectly fine for anything up to 60Hz. In addition this monitor support 100% of sRGB and 100% Adobe RGB!

For some people who state that you can't see the advantage of 4K at this size - they are wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm a photographer and images from my full frame DSLR look spectacular on this monitor. The level of detail I can now see in my photos on this in my monitor is just amazing. So much better than my previous 1920x1200 Dell Ultrasharp.

If your not a photographer you can save a lot of money on other 4K monitors that just support sRGB. But either way - the 4K display is worth it. Specially if you like an expansive, high-res desktop.