Thrustmaster TARGET question.

Raptor_67

Hello fellow Citizens.

I've got what is probably a noob question about how to use TARGET (Thrustmaster Software).

I currently have in my possession 2 Warthog Joysticks (one standard and one left hand converted).  I also have a couple of MFD's and a set of set of Saitek combat pedals.
SC needs 1 controller so TARGET is needed for the Joysticks and MFD's but not the pedals (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Being a TARGET Noob, I havnt used it for anything more then simply binding the TM Warthog HOTAS (or the Warthog and a left handed T16000) together so SC can recognize them.
TARGET sees the 2 Warthog Joysticks when you start TARGET, but when you go to create a new profile I can only see 1 Warthog Joystick.
I'm now running the new version of TARGET (v3.0.16.615).
I'll print the manual out and start reading, but I figure two warthogs may not be covered like for example 2 T16000 would be, or a Warthog and a T16000, both combinations of which you can see and select together in TARGET when you create a new profile.
I'm sure this is a noob question for a seasoned TARGET user, but seasoned TARGET user I'm not! :)

Can anyone help me (or just point me in the right direction)?

Thanks in Advance.

...  Fly well or die trying.

OK.  I now realize I dont need TARGET to see both the joysticks in SC.  But...  I think I still need to use Target as I cant seem to get the left hand Joystick X axis to correctly act as strafe forward / backwards.  The default settings (that I cant seem to modify without Target) hugely bias my strafe forward/backwards center point to too far back ie at center x on joystick, my ship is traveling about 1/2 speed forward.  I have to hold my Joystick about 1/2 way back to get the neutral point (stop my ship).

Is there a way to get TARGET to recognize both my Warthog sticks so I can create a custom profile and sort that stuff out in the profile?
I'm guessing it can be sorted out in the profile, from what little I have read, you seem to be able to do Anything with your joysticks within a profile.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply xKiLlFrEnZyx.

At work atm, so I'll check that tonight, I have never seen a warthog need calibrating - But I guess there can always be a first.

OK.  I'll have to look closer at the SC setup menus again.  They do seem a little cumbersome and confusing, but if everything can be setup in there, thats probably the best place to do it.

Thanks for the pointers. 

ADDITION:
I have now checked my center point on the left joystick.  Yes, it is indeed centered.
My setup works perfectly for ED, just not for SC.  I will play with it some more... In the mean time, does anyone have a dual stick setup they can share with me?  Best if its for 2 Warthogs, but any 2 joysticks will do and I will adapt from there.

Edited by Raptor_67
Addition

As soon as I realized that I didnt need TARGET to use any number of controllers in SC, I dropped using TARGET.

And now my non-center problem has gone away ... ???

I have no idea what's changed, nothing to my knowledge.
I'll just take it as an unexplained win. :)

For now...  I'll completely drop TARGET so my original issue is now moot as well (getting TARGET to use 2 WARTHOG Joysticks).

Unfortunately that means this whole thread amounts to just radio static.  Sorry about that.

Thanks for your help guys.

I don't know anything about other programs needed to run periphrals, but I use warthog and t16000. Space-moose uses the same, but also pedals. If you are still having issues shoot him or I a question. I don't think either of us use programs in order for them to work in StarCitizen.

• 4 years later...

There's a lot for you to figure out with the TARGET software.  It's buggy at best, unusable at worst.  I have a flight system T1600m with throttle, pedals the works, and a spare 1600m joystick for use in space sims.  Neither joystick works correctly with the software, but the pedals and the throttle work fine; the problem with the software is that it REMOVES the devices from active drivers, but attempts to "SHADOW" read them.  This is a security problem to windows and to Mac.  They no longer work properly with this.  Older shadow reads do not work properly anymore, and the driver for the joystick uses one that forces it to show on a different numbered connection after the disable of the driver.  This kind of process hasn't been necessary since windows 95, when Directx added functionality for reading the hardware address of game controls, and mac did similar under the HID standard.  In windows 98, the controllers function was absent until one was installed and directx components.  After windows 98, the HID was adopted as a secondary controller setup, but was integrated into the control panel.  The panel still allows you to choose your "Preferred" gaming controller, which will be the first controller tag sent to any game that seeks one.

TARGET still using an old disable script that disables the driver (probably one that uses the port number modifier rather than the driver) for the joystick, but not the pedals or the throttle is indicative of their inability to unify their hardware\software model.  Using the port number modifier will disconnect the device completely, rather than simply turning off the driver messaging.  Again, this is not necessary.

If you want to set up a joint controller with controllers that are separately connected (many cheaper systems actually connect through one another so they show up as one controller), you are better off with UniversalControlRemapper, vJoy joystick emulator, and ControlMyJoystick.  VJOY and UCR are a two part set you'll need to do some basic scripting, but if you want to do communication typing or multi-keypress, you'll need a keyboard emulator like Interception to go with it, and many of the functions for this are quite limited in these.  They are free, though (as in beer).  ControlMyJoystick uses a similar mapping model to the TARGET system.   It creates its own emulated joystick, and it will work with any directx or HID compliant controller.  It will allow you to do some scripting and typing by button, great for messages and cheats in really old sims, and it will allow you to remap axes, sliders etc.  I use all of them at once in several games.  I use ControlMyJoystick alone in space sims.  The reason is that I also play flight sims that require a pedal based rotation modifier.  A helicopter with a tailrotor uses pedal inputs to control that rotor, one for left spin, one for right spin of the craft.  Because the craft will continue to spin after this is engaged, both pedals are used, one to engage the spin one to counteract and stop the spin, and then both are brought back to zero together.  I require that the pedals become a combined axis.  This can be done in UCR with VJOY.  VJOY shows up in CONTROLMYJOYSTICK, so I remap the rest there.

For star citizen and the like, I have used both UCR and ControlMyJoystick, and they both work very well.  You will have to set one right, one left for t16000m, and with other joysticks, if both are the same brand and model, you might get a bug, though with ControlMyJoystick, this hasn't shown up for me.  Mileage may vary.  The key to note here is that neither of these will DISABLE or DISCONNECT the device driver.  They use the input from the device and redirect it through another device.  While this introduces just a bit of LAG, the lag was barely noticeable on an old pentium3 with usb2.  Now, the lag is so small that it really isn't an issue.  Control interpretation functions in games move slower than the input time even with included lag, so quick readjustments are realized in game at the same speed they would be while using only the primary device driver.

For TARGET, first you have to select which joysticks or controllers will be in the profile, then you have to select the axes that your controllers will have, and lastly, you will choose the button functions for each controller.  For typing, you'll have to set sequential keystrokes with delays, but you can also set up a single key first, to build a script, view the script, then copy the script, go to the script editor, and paste it, putting in the delays you want.  I suggest you calculate typing 140-200 words per minute at 5 letters a word, and decide how long it would take for each letter, then use that as a delay for holding the key, with a delay of 1\8 to 1\2 of that initial delay between the letters.  You'll hold a button for about 2-4 seconds total but you'll get a whole sentence typed.  I'd set this to fire once for each press, and then hold that button until it finishes.  There's a PDF manual you can download with all the necessary scripting changes you'll need to make.  Once you finish with the scripting, save the file and import it into TARGET as a PROFILE.

Windows and Mac have both been filling security holes by disallowing devices being disabled and read by shadow through an alternate driver or shadow function.  This is because many viruses are being built into USB hardware and read by shadow when the hardware is attached.  I have tried repeatedly, with no success at all, to install the TARGET software and the drivers in several configurations for my flight controls.  None of it works.  Due to the joystick attempting to grab the numbered port input in the request queue and failing to get the same number, the TARGET software cannot "SEE" the joystick when activating a profile.  The joystick is disconnected, then reconnected, and while the driver is disabled, the joystick's input cannot be pulled, since TARGET looks for the old port number, but the joystick is feeding the new port number.  The mismatch breaks the function of the software.  However, I will be playing with it a bit more and I'll get back to you with any answers.

I would recommend ControlMyJoystick because it allows you to adjust the  curve response and script a switch to change that or layer different control set patterns that activate and deactivate with the push of a button WITHOUT advanced scripting knowledge.  The only part it doesn't do currently is combine two axes or sliders into one, which is what I use for tailrotor controls with various pedal sets.  Again, this is POSSIBLE with TARGET software if you script the values directly yourself, and with their pedals, you could even script a multiplier for the footshift slider that adjusts the values from the pedals so the actual values reported are adjusted on a slider-based curve.  This works with just the throttle and pedals, but the joysticks don't show up when I try to map them.  As I said, I'll be playing with this.  I'll be trying workarounds until I exhaust my brain, I'll let you know what I come up with.