Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GRIZZ

"Game Changer" ship Theory Crafting

I spent some time thinking about what was doable in-engine, not already done, compatable with lore, and a game changer.  There's a lot of interesting directions CIG could go.  Feel free to jot down your own hairbrained thoughts for Game Changing ships that might be under CIG's sleeves.

https://youtu.be/77d1fl2M6aE?t=22m37s

Transcript:

Nikki: So, Nox is up next, 300--er 600 is coming some time after that. What's your favorite type of ship? Not name, but type of ship that will be built over the next year?

Ben: I can't even say that, because it would give it away, but we have a gamechanger coming up. We have something that everyone's gonna go "they're doing that?!" And that's my favorite ship reveal, is where--

N: You're making the Bagel Carrier.

B: We're not making the Bagel Carrier--well... No, we're not making the Bagel Carrier.

N: It's a floating bakery that's also a spaceship! Ah, You're making the Tardis.

B: It's one people weren't expecting and it'll be good.

N: You're gonna let people buy a Kingship?

B: Sigh I don't think people could afford a Kingship.

I wish nikki had not interrupted him.

My first original thought was a ramming ship.  Vanduul do it but no UEE ship has advertised it as a feature sofar (Caterpillar is still yet to be confirmed)  Not a very game changing idea though.

A minelayer.

My other idea was a grapple ship that catches its prey to then board it or damage it.  

Some good ideas I have read since researching this have been:

-Interdiction ship that drops beacons to create a quantum travel net.

-Large shield generating ship.  This would be easy to do actually and is already in Tevarin lore.

TPMgungansh1.jpg

-Base building ship where its heavily fortified and designed to be parked on a surface for long durations.  Like a landable Endeavor, or a tracked fortress?  https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/a/a3/Jaawa.jpg

-Submarine focused ship - A lot of fans are really excited about Yela's underwater caves and their exploration.  Remember spaceships are not designed for immense pressure.

-Radar spoofing ship - Something that makes your fleet seem larger than it is on the scanners.

-High Orbit troop dropship - "Though many outside of the Marines have heard of the Nail, few have seen it in action. UPARQscientists are believed to have reverse engineered the tech from the feared Vanduul boarding “Spikes” used in ship-to-ship combat, modifying the design to make it viable for a Human occupant. The current Nail can safely deploy a Marine from a ship in space to a planet surface in ninety seconds. The device is a technological marvel, if correctly deployed, and a metal coffin if not." Link

-A lead ship that can guide one or more ships through a Jump Point so they arrive relatively close together at the other end.

So fire away, there are no bad ideas, just improbable ones.

AstroJak, Donut and Painmiester like this

You

had me a mine layer..

It's the very pinical to any strategy of deterrence .

Or to set up choke points.ahhh i can in vision it as I speak....

GRIZZ likes this

17 minutes ago, Painmiester said:

You

had me a mine layer..

It's the very pinical to any strategy of deterrence .

Or to set up choke points.ahhh i can in vision it as I speak....

And it tightly fits a missing role from Chris Roberts WW2 theme.

Painmiester likes this

1 hour ago, Donut said:

Ship that can travel under water, for planets such as Yela 

https://starcitizen.tools/Yela

Yela_2.gif

349a5099b49eed2d9e6369c7f85a5c72--submar

I wonder what happens if a regular ship lands in the water. When you open the door will you see the water rush in?

I agree though, an sub would be cool. I'm up for the life aquatic!

Painmiester, Donut and GeraldEvans like this

1 hour ago, Caldon said:

Asteroid slinger ships, designed to fling big f&@ing rocks at big ships. Or planets.

It does not take a very big rock to undo all life on a planet.

1 hour ago, GRIZZ said:

It does not take a very big rock to undo all life on a planet.

But then it takes a lot of velocity.... like the... Quantum... Drive..

Yknow, lets keep it down before the Vanduul hear us. :P

EDIT : After a quick googlin', to destroy all life on Earth, you still need a pretty big rock. Relative to the planet it's tiny, yes. But compared to even something like the Retribution, it's massive.

Im thinking it would be a "utility/support" ship.... my guesses now lean towards either a terraforming ship 6e363f_86c1a9c5ca4c36377ed8975a1f44668a.

Or some sort of time manipulation field producing ship.... 

Its role would be to either speed up or slow down ships in its relative area. Can be used by large fleets to move vast distances quicker? or in combat to slow other ships

Sort of like the in the game Stellaris or Galactic Civ III (forgot which one) had a tech tree upgrade where you can install a field generator that would boost your ships speed/travel distance. 

Or it could be used to "stabilize" Quantum drive/jump point travel to use less fuel or something to that extent

GRIZZ likes this

It could well be as guessed an underwater craft.

I am not sold about the minelayer because it doesn't make any sense in space ( the area to cover is impossibly large).

On top of that, if you decide that actually there are strategically important points so tiny that can be minelayed, we're back at the good old "JP camp for the lulz" Goon syndrome, it's too messy for CIG.

One cool idea ( perhaps) but not very SCish is a slingshot ship, like a "catapult" that can speed smaller craft inside a system.

GestaltZero0 likes this

Perhaps something that can create small wormholes (jump points) or maybe block them somehow.  Or, perhaps, temporarily expand a jump point size.  Something that can change the nature of the biggest choke points in the game is definitely a game changer.

GestaltZero0 likes this

Hope its not a minelayer, that would just be a pain in the ass.  Both the deploying of mines into a volume of space, and the running into them, scanning for them, clearing them, etc.  None of that sounds like fun gameplay to me.  And will they even work?  If you quantum into a mined area, will they even explode before you're past?  Just sounds like a complete mess.  And that's not even taking into account the development effort it would take in a game that's already too far delayed.

I like the military ramming ship idea, and maybe swarms of space drones, as some things that meet the criteria of "unexpected" that it could be.  Hope its not the drones though, unless they're non-combat drones (repair drones, think R2 units).  Cheap combat drones goes against the WW2 asthetic Chris Roberts has established.