Customization on the Freelancer

destra

Im wondering if i should get The Freelancer DUR or the Freelancer Max,  I know.. They Specialize in different Jobs, but. i wonder the upgrade potential.. Im in the thought, i can get the Max, has Larger engines, More Cargo, But could i add a Bigger Warp Drive, Better scanners, More Rockets, More Fuel tanks, and Larger weapons, And retrofit the Freelancer Max to Do Exploration and combat.. Cause seems to be The best chassis with 4 engines and more cargo. 

~Destra

Edited by destra

We don't know for 100% if they will let you do that much customization, but from what i could see is there are two haul variations which have different hard points, so you won't be able to add the better scanning packs or fuel tanks as those hard points will not be there on the MAX and the other way around you can't strap on two more engines and make it wider, you will be able to get better versions of whats equipped on there for scanning but you most likely will not find a Super Freelancer with 4 engines and can scan jump-points and nebula's with days of fuel on-board along with 4 missile racks and nose mounted rail-gun :) 

I personally have the MAX but that is because i want to do blockage running i have the Connie Aquila for my Exploration. 

You should be able to tweak and overclock components, but from everything they've said so far you're still locked at a maximum size per component. So you may be able to find thrusters with a higher output rating or a power plant / jump drive that gets you more speed, range, etc against various costs like higher heat output, greater detectability, or you could min max the installed components for your mission, but that's it.

Something that has extra weapon points or a physical space to accommodate a larger fuel tank, etc isn't something I'd expect to be able to modify your way into.

By way of example, the DUR and MIS have one size larger hardpoints. A MAX can never have those. An Aquila has a visible larger fuel tank. The Andromeda (probably) couldn't have that.

It depends on how you're going to work.

If you're working alone, I'd go with a DUR. Having a larger fuel tank, better sensors and larger hardpoints seems like a better alternative for people operating independently on a tighter budget.

If you're going to be working with a group or with friends, the MAX would probably serve that purpose better since it would be benefiting from the protection of other ships, and can focus more on getting its haul to where it needs to be.

I'd personally go with the DUR, but then again I'm one who prioritizes self sufficiency a step above teamwork.

I'd get the Freelancer DUR for exploration. If you want to haul cargo, I don't understand why anyone would choose the MAX instead of the Taurus. I've heard/read all of the arguments in favour of the MAX versus the Taurus, but I don't think they hold up considering the $10 price difference. You get so much more ship with the Taurus for only $10 more. And even if it's true that the MAX can fit through small jump points whereas the Taurus can't, the great cargo capacity and defensive capabilities of the Taurus more than compensate for possibly needing to take a longer detour.

I understand why Explorers would choose the DUR over the Aquila, because the Aquila is more than twice the price. The DUR is probably comparable to the Aquila in space exploration. The Aquila presumably has the advantage in planetary exploration, because of its Ursa Rover.

All ships in Star Citizen will be customizable. The DUR and MAX are both Freelancers, so I don't think one is going to better at customization than the other. I don't think it makes sense to try to frankenstein a DUR and MAX together; for example, putting the MAX's double engines on the DUR (if that's even possible). Each model is tailored to its intended role; that's why "MISC" (CIG) created each variant model. Pick the ship for the role that's your primary interest. Use the ship for that role and make UECs. Then buy a second ship for the secondary role you're interested in.

If I had to choose, I'd buy the DUR, because it's intended for exploration, and can carry a decent amount of cargo. Focus on exploration, and if you pick an exploration mission to a certain planet or star system, it couldn't hurt to carry some cargo that will net you a profit while you're there.

Well i like the Thought Of the MAX being a speedy transport and im sure i can still do some Exploration with the Org, Hang with a group of Players will suite me anyways..

Although im Curious just How The Warp Drives and Fuel will Work.. Like i wonder if il be able To have the Range or proper Warp Drive To get me around the verse and ect for trade

1 hour ago, destra said:

Although im Curious just How The Warp Drives and Fuel will Work.. Like i wonder if il be able To have the Range or proper Warp Drive To get me around the verse and ect for trade

Not much is known about jump drives, but it's presumed that most ships will have their own Jump Drives unless they're a small craft like the Argo or Merlin. CIG has said that jump points will have to be navigated actively to avoid scattering your ship and everyone inside it across the universe. You can find info about Jump Points here.

Fuel and range is subject to change as the Verse widens in scope and the ratio of cost:expenditure of a unit of hydrogen fuel is adjusted. Presumably though, ships with larger fuel tanks or more efficient Quantum Drives will make better use of their fuel reserves.

It's safe to say scouting and exploration ships will have much better range than non-specialized ones, and presumably have a lower operating cost. The DUR will be able to go further before needing to top off, but not carry as much as the MAX. The decision you'd have to make is whether you want to try making money in trade hauling less cargo further, or more cargo closer. If SC's hauling economy works out anything like it is in real life, the biggest money will be found in getting cargo as far from its point of origin as possible, where it can be sold at a higher profit due to the local market's lack of supply to meet demand.

Problem with the comparison with the MAX and Tarsus is that both ships are not done yet, and you know how CIG like to make significant changes when rebuilding a ship, so i'll take my chances with the MAX and see what CIG does with the 4 engines after all look at what they have done with some of the recent reworked ships, 

9 hours ago, J. Coren said:

Not much is known about jump drives, but it's presumed that most ships will have their own Jump Drives unless they're a small craft like the Argo or Merlin. CIG has said that jump points will have to be navigated actively to avoid scattering your ship and everyone inside it across the universe. You can find info about Jump Points here.

Fuel and range is subject to change as the Verse widens in scope and the ratio of cost:expenditure of a unit of hydrogen fuel is adjusted. Presumably though, ships with larger fuel tanks or more efficient Quantum Drives will make better use of their fuel reserves.

It's safe to say scouting and exploration ships will have much better range than non-specialized ones, and presumably have a lower operating cost. The DUR will be able to go further before needing to top off, but not carry as much as the MAX. The decision you'd have to make is whether you want to try making money in trade hauling less cargo further, or more cargo closer. If SC's hauling economy works out anything like it is in real life, the biggest money will be found in getting cargo as far from its point of origin as possible, where it can be sold at a higher profit due to the local market's lack of supply to meet demand.

I think there was a discussion about jump drives in lore. The actual jump drive is a component part of a quantum drive (I know, sounds backwards). The first jump was made using a malfunctioning quantum drive. Later on, these 'malfunctions' were standardized and included into a separate part of the quantum drive and called a jump drive. 

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly prefer the standard Freelancer over both the Max and DUR... but if I were to get a Freelancer at all I would wait for the anniversary sale and get the MIS or trade on reddit... just because of the missiles. If the choice were between Max and DUR I would say MAX is a better choice just because of cargo space... after it is all said and done I think the main feature of the freelancer that will be utilized will be cargo space and small jump points, and the max has the most cargo space.