Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FoxChard

What Happens on Death

My ill-conceived question for my singular new topic of the year is this-

What happens when you die? 

I'll add a few more caveats. We know that sometimes you'll die and wake back up. The whole death of the spaceman, cat has 9 lives thing. But what happens when your character really dies? Yes, I know they've said you'll pass your stuff on to an heir. I'm more interested in the immediate circumstance surrounding the death. 

If you're lucky you'll go through a high adrenaline sequence where you're racing your own doom-explosions and debris hurling themselves down corridors, or being stuck in ruined fighter in the middle of enemy territory. If you're unlucky you'll probably just be nailed by a sniper who won't think twice. So now you're dead. There are an infinite number of scenarios that brought you to this point and it all adds up that you've run your race and your time is done.

What we've got now is the semi-cinematic camera shots of your dead corpse in AC, and thats really about it.

What I'd like to see and enjoy is this-upon your death (your final one and all of the others that led up to it) you have a moment of suspense induced by the game. Maybe it does the AC-style cinematic camera, maybe they have a sad song scored by Pedro Camacho begin to play. The key difference of course is that after the first few measures of the song, you wake up in a hospital or you don't. Instead you just kind of hover there for a bit allowing you to relish the great musical score and the weight of your (likely) poor decisions that lead you to this point. After this you'd probably just funnel into the character creation process, but just for those few moments I want the game to drag out your death.

Ah who am I kidding, they'll just do something trolly like this: 

stefmarster, CC-Corp, Donut and 1 other like this

Just now, Devil Khan said:

He quoted from that article...

5 hours ago, FoxChard said:

whole death of the spaceman, cat has 9 lives thing. But what happens when your character really dies? Yes, I know they've said you'll pass your stuff on to an heir. I'm more interested in the immediate circumstance surrounding the death. 

FoxChard likes this

Just now, Devil Khan said:

nope, I did that by mistake and I deleted it before you even read it (the url)

The original comment is still in the quote and you can't touch that :P 

tenor.gif

Anyways back on topic, I believe that there should be a death gameplay sequence, similar to the "Running in the Woods" theme in Mass Effect 3, except instead of a kid you would be running slowly to your heir and when you reach your heir you would wake up as the heir and start your new life.

Or similar to the burial in Wing Commander, but adjusted for reputation and location.

Perhaps right before the burial you make your heir so they can receive your effects.
Donut likes this

Here's my ideal way to do the death and pass on sequence.

You die whatever way you die.

When that happens, you get a cut scene video that does a little memorial of the main accomplishments of your character, maybe highlights the injuries you sustained beforehand that helped add up to your death.

Scene transitions to a location where you've set your home hangar (planet/base/whatever), and you're in first person, sitting in a bar or restaurant, receive a message on your mobiglass telling you to go to the local authorities (depends on the system control, location, etc... maybe even to the boss-pirate dude). Once you go there, you're presented with a package and informed that you've been identified as the sole inheritor of your old character's assets, with more information awaiting you on the main terminal inside of the hangar.

You go to the hangar and sit down at the terminal, open it up, and have a bunch of condolence messages from all of the different groups your previous person was in high or low standing with, along with a notification of the automatic perks, reputation levels, or threat designations you'll receive. 

After that, you get a small mission to go into the restroom of the hangar and look in the mirror. When you do that it triggers the character customization tool.

Of course, for the people who don't give a rat's ass for immersion or theme, they can skip through the story aspects and jump right to the part where they're doing the customization, and can read their reputation levels afterward.

Thats a well thought out process Chimaera. I like it. Making the flashback would be interesting-perhaps the game could cheat a bit and maintain a record of notable NPCs you've dealt with, or with friends from Spectrum that you've had many interactions with and just grabs their image to be used. Probably would be impossible to program the game to actually record notable interactions between you and others (this would lead to outrageous data files). Perhaps like the Mass Effect thing, but instead of the running child, its a room full of these people you've dealt with.

What would make this great is if you're an aurora pilot who cratered and died on the first flight. Your NPCs in that case might be a salesman, the insurance representative, the air traffic control guy, and that would be about it. 

GeraldEvans and AstroJak like this

Hey guys i like these ideas and im sure the game can easily store highlight images and information that can be present in such a format. My wife is on facebook and she receives similar little stores done by facebooks bot on special occations such as birthdays so i know it can be done.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

FoxChard likes this

What happens upon character death is this:

You die from whatever it was that kills you and it fades to black.

When the screen comes back you are looking from the eyes of your new character upon the grave of the deceased.
You sigh and remenisce about all the good times. How you fought off that pirate and saved the crew. How you met with that delegation and set up a new traderoute.
You remember the sights you've seen, the aliens you've met... the dangers you've faced, oh my... what a life.

So you continue with your game, knowing you have some big shoes to fill. You inherit his wealth, his ships, his legacy.

then one day, you sit down at a bar lightyears from home in some far away corner of space. You order a strange alien beverage of questional origins when suddenly something catches your eye. And there he sits, with a atractive brunette at his side as he raises his glass to you.

Well played, you magnificent basterd.

;)

FoxChard, GeraldEvans and LowZone like this

When my character dies, I hope there's a cutscene with a bagpipe rendition of Amazing Grace, played by a dog, during an unemotional, short, ironic speech by my best friend and CO, followed by my body being shot out of the torpedo tubes into a newborn planet.

FoxChard likes this

I like these ideas, but maybe they could go for an eve online approach. For those who don't know, when your character dies, you wake up in a new body, with your ship you were flying and possessions on said ship gone. Maybe they will go and do something like that. I don't know, it is just a small theory I came up with.

Eve is definitely no joke-even if you do have insurance. 

I would think that this will be unlikely because SC is going to coddle us a lot more than Eve ever did. Heck, the backers (as opposed to regular players who join after launch) have Lifetime Insurance on some of their ships! This is insane. I think they'll probably balance this out with other parts of the death mechanic to make you not want to just throw your lives and ships away.