Maybe we shouldn't be able to customize characters.  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What if character appearance was randomized when you create one. It's a bit unheard of but I personally wouldn't mind, it would prevent the universe from being populated with a bunch of models, and maybe add in a bit of revenue if they sold like a customization kit. Just wanted to know if anyone else shared my mentality. Yes means 'Yes' to randomization. No, 'No'.

• Yes
    • No

58 minutes ago, S1ickReed said:

No, character customization is vital to my initial interest in any game, MMO or a plain RPG, hell I get picky creating characters in  Divinity Originals Sin games as well.

I really love the way Black Desert has families with all your characters with the same surname and the ability to switch between them any time. It's great for large worlds to have this ability to multitask and give your main the ability to be a real explorer light years away from home.

I have to say i fully support the idea of being able to giving your character a surname. It just makes sense, as we have read in pretty much every bit of lore, people in the SC timeline still have surnames. :D

On 7/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, Danakar Endeel said:

Did you know some people spend hours in a character creator to get their character just right? That's how important it is. A lot of people want a character they can feel connected to. Being forced to play some randomized Monkey#367 just doesn't cut it.

Mere hours? Meh. I think i logged at least 10 hours into the little Black Desert character creator minigame. Fallout 4 and Skyrim character creators were also major time sinks. For me, building my characters is very important. 

And about Black Desert, luckily SC will be avoiding that pitfall since there won't be class locked body shapes. That was such a kerfuffle even though everyone knew it was coming.

I play Elder Scrolls Online and it has a pretty detailed character creator (not like BDO though).  People do make ugly characters all the time.  Its one surefire way to stand out from the crowd (its true that most make attractive characters).

You could just chalk it up to cosmetic surgery / medicine being cheap, prevalent, risk free, and effective 1000 years from now.

But lets say they do make your appearance random.  What I guess will happen will be something right out of those old Dungeons and Dragons RPG games that randomized your stats among the various attributes: You'll keep generating new characters (or hitting the random roll button again) until you get what you want.  So given everything that CIG has done to date, I think they'd just let you customize your character yourself.

I just feel that if theres no character creation (and this is coming from a guy that played City of Heroes back in the day) is a crucial part of gameplay because as others have said it provides a connection to the character and it also provides a basis for your characters lore which attributes to their purpose in the game which leads to why the individual plays the game the way they do. If SC didn't have it I probably wouldnt put anymore money into the game but thats not a problem so I will deplete my bank account as much as i please. 

TL;DR -- Character creation is important. I'm not responsible with my money.

Maybe in a thousand years, society actually declined in looks so it's common to do dna modifications and cosmetic restructure of the face and body. Voila, you have human customization build into the game AND the lore

38 minutes ago, Donut said:

Maybe in a thousand years, society actually declined in looks so it's common to do dna modifications and cosmetic restructure of the face and body. Voila, you have human customization build into the game AND the lore

Unless I get to be like that North Korean villain from the Bond movie-you know, the one with Diamonds in his face who gets transformed into a suave British super badguy...until we get that level of...

I forgot my point. 

8 hours ago, FoxChard said:

Unless I get to be like that North Korean villain from the Bond movie-you know, the one with Diamonds in his face who gets transformed into a suave British super badguy...until we get that level of...

I forgot my point. 

Not Kim Jong Il from Team America? That might be funnier.

9 hours ago, Gremlich said:

Not Kim Jong Il from Team America? That might be funnier.

Dude, if I can play Kim Jong Un, I'm in. The first thing I'll do is recreate his famous moment where he was filmed smoking a cigarette next to 30 tons of highly flammable rocket propellant by smoking on the catwalk of my Starfarer. In space. Because I can. 

Sorry for the blur, this is a snap from a video, and North Korea isn't known for digital camera quality.

422665B200000578-4677866-image-a-18_1499532468398.jpg

Once they have enough worlds, I think it would be cool if you got some characteristics of the first world you ever spawn on. Tall, short, fat, skinny, dark, light, green, pink, blue, warty, striped, etc... From then on, if you want to change your characteristics, you need to go to the world with the characteristics you want, and get Gene surgery to affect the change.

Somethings you should be able to change wherever. Hair styles, for example.

Clothing should be a little similar. There should be some basics that are available everywhere. But some/most worlds should have their "Thing." Want that fashion? Got to go to that world. Wow! Those are some ugly pants! Yah, but the world you have to go to get them is super dangerous, so wearing them is a badge of honor.

6 minutes ago, BobTheSpaceman said:

Once they have enough worlds, I think it would be cool if you got some characteristics of the first world you ever spawn on. Tall, short, fat, skinny, dark, light, green, pink, blue, warty, striped, etc... From then on, if you want to change your characteristics, you need to go to the world with the characteristics you want, and get Gene surgery to affect the change.

Somethings you should be able to change wherever. Hair styles, for example.

Clothing should be a little similar. There should be some basics that are available everywhere. But some/most worlds should have their "Thing." Want that fashion? Got to go to that world. Wow! Those are some ugly pants! Yah, but the world you have to go to get them is super dangerous, so wearing them is a badge of honor.

It needs to be within reason though. A lot of games allow you to have all these options and then you end up with something like this

18_character_creation_1.1.jpg

vc1xcymcbuz3uvjqytak.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

funny-character-creation-fb.jpg

Didn't they try that concept with season 2 of Sword Art Online? It was massively panned as being a death sentence for a game (outside of the series of course. SAO being smart has yet to happen) since you'd indeed end up with something like what Donut showed, or every character looking sort of... Samey. There'd also be, much like in the show, a strange gray market for characters with pretty looking models. Imagine ending up with an exceptionally good looking female character and being able to sell that account for the price of an Idris.

One thing I always thought would be cool in MMOs was if you only got to design your character's face.  Everyone starts out with a middling body type.  If you do physical tasks a lot, or magically (or whatever the mechanism is) enhance your physical statistics, your character gets muscles, buff, definition, what have you.  If you use magic (or whatever substitutes for magic) to accomplish tasks, you either get skinny or fat (maybe depending on how many food buffs you use), but lose muscle.

Of course none of that applies to Star Citizen as our characters won't have these kind of MMOish stats.  But I always thought it would be cool if you could kind of identify what kind of tasks a character was suited for just by looking at them, instead of the typical MMO with the extreme waifu tropes everywhere you look.

On 10-2-2018 at 5:51 PM, Gremlich said:

and you still can't walk around a station....

Heh, I remember some botched up attempt where they implemented 'captain's quarters' the size of a closet back in 2011 which apparently was so bad it melted people's graphics cards. I believe that was the same year their 'Greed is Good' memo leaked and they were trying to sell $60 monocles. (I quit playing EvE after the riots) :P

I'm going to have to be on the yes side of this but only under certain conditions. The randomization took into account your backstory allowing you to pick between certain pairs of parents to derive your custom look from. AND there has to be a body modification office somewhere in the verse that you can go to and pay a ingame currency fee to modify your body to what you want it to be.

If PUBG is any indication of where character customization is heading then it doesn’t matter how your character looks as long as you can run around in your underwear :lol: If CIG allows full nudity characters then 50% of the players will be running around buck naked ..... And guys ... lets face it .... if you are faced by a nude female character then the last thing you look at is her face so we won’t need any facial customization only butt, waist and boob size ;)

I'm against randomization too. I assume I would be quite fine with most faces thrown at me within reasonable limits but any particularly hard-to-identify-with mug would completely break the game for me. If random would be the unavoidable rule, I would insist to at least be presented with, say, three completely different options to choose from - I expect one of them would work well enough. Of course, none of that is a problem with free customization.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:10 AM, Booster Terrik said:

If PUBG is any indication of where character customization is heading then it doesn’t matter how your character looks as long as you can run around in your underwear :lol:

Airlocks dont care what yer wearing, or not wearing.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:45 AM, GeraldEvans said:

I may be in the minority, but the face is the most important part in my opinion.

Butt man!