Maybe we shouldn't be able to customize characters

Jivvy

Maybe we shouldn't be able to customize characters.  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What if character appearance was randomized when you create one. It's a bit unheard of but I personally wouldn't mind, it would prevent the universe from being populated with a bunch of models, and maybe add in a bit of revenue if they sold like a customization kit. Just wanted to know if anyone else shared my mentality. Yes means 'Yes' to randomization. No, 'No'.

• Yes
    • No

Character customization is a core feature of games, especially MMOs and RPGs, going back twenty years. Removal of such a feature would be counter-intuitive, and there's really no need to remove the feature. If the fear is that the universe will be populated with too many "pretty faces", simply remember it's a game, and the enemies are always downright ugly.

If we wanted randomized character customization we would be playing Rust. And look at that, it's fucking dead. Part of an immersive experience is being able to play somebody that you feel a connection with. 

Now, talking about NPC's, those will already be randomly generated and placed into game. Also, we will have a random generator so those who cannot decide on a character WILL have that option. Other than forcing players into a random generation and making them play those characters, fuck that shit.

With the heir system, reputation, and how NPC's are supposed to even recognize you in game, being able to have full control in character customization is essential.

9 hours ago, Donut said:

If we wanted randomized character customization we would be playing Rust. And look at that, it's fucking dead. Part of an immersive experience is being able to play somebody that you feel a connection with. 

Now, talking about NPC's, those will already be randomly generated and placed into game. Also, we will have a random generator so those who cannot decide on a character WILL have that option. Other than forcing players into a random generation and making them play those characters, fuck that shit.

With the heir system, reputation, and how NPC's are supposed to even recognize you in game, being able to have full control in character customization is essential.

Rust is still alive and well, which can't be said for it's competitors. I do like the idea of random character generation within a set of parameters. I'd like us to be able to say "Male/Female, Slim/Fat/Athletic, Tall/Medium/Short, Light/Dark/Colorful Complexion" and have it go from there.

That said, there's no doubt Star Citizen will have customization and we'll get the standard mix of Instagram models and fat head/skinny waist troll characters that we all know and dislike.

I'll never forget my first day in Rust, getting killed over and over. I was about to give up on the game when a guy with a bow and a spear rolled up on me when I had just farmed a bunch of stone. He drew his bow, looked down at me, then stopped. Then he said "that's a really big d**k you've got there, congratulations!" and ran off into the night. In 800 hours of Rust that is the one moment I never forgot. There's something really human about being forced to look a certain way and just working with it.

Did you know some people spend hours in a character creator to get their character just right? That's how important it is. A lot of people want a character they can feel connected to. Being forced to play some randomized Monkey#367 just doesn't cut it.

Besides, if you can't be bothered with spending some time making a personalized character I am sure you can just click on the 'Randomize Appearance' and be good to go. But others (myself included) want their character to look like they want it to look. And the more customization options they have at their disposal, the happier they would be. ;)

I want to try and make it look just like my avatar (which is me in real life). :)

5 hours ago, VFL said:

That said, there's no doubt Star Citizen will have customization and we'll get the standard mix of Instagram models and fat head/skinny waist troll characters that we all know and dislike.

CIG has said we won't be able to drastically change bodyshapes and sizes. Perhaps we'll be able to slightly modify it but CIG maintains a certain standard size on characters so they'll fit into the ships without things getting... weird.

We will be able to change our faces by morphing different features from a large variety of premade faces. We're also going to be able to change skincolor, hair, eyes and that sort of thing.

Yep, no body type changes or height changes until a rig for those exists, or until they try to remap the current rig scaled to match ALL of the interaction targets.

Even then there will be arguments about advantageous hitboxes, etc. But really, in a game where you're trying to invest in a character, and build your place in the worlds as identifiable and discrete from that of others, forcing someone to identify with and invest in a character they don't care for is asinine and misguided.

Lucky for us, it isn't happening.

CIG has said we won't be able to drastically change bodyshapes and sizes. Perhaps we'll be able to slightly modify it but CIG maintains a certain standard size on characters zo they'll fit into the ships without things getting... weird.

We will be able to change our faces by morphing different features from a large variety of premade faces. We're also going to be able to change skincolor, hair, eyes and that sort of thing.

That's a fair point. I still think there will be some level of trolling with it though. And how much can they restrict the options until it voids the point behind it?

It'd be cool if you could do all that customization but then still get some random traits as well, like height and weight variations. My biggest peeve with customization is game communities that look like Hitler's wet dreams. Everyone 6'5", blonde, and chiseled. It just ruins the immersion of the game for me. I want everyone to be human looking and not feeling superior based on the way their character looks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The way you incentivize that is make role playing a rewarding thing, and make procedural aging and body damage inherent in the design.

That's a good point. I'm excited about that system. A game that judges you by the size of your beard is my kind of game lol.

It's a good question though, good thread OP! I think we already know what to expect with the character creation, but it's an interesting question to debate. [emoji106]

2 hours ago, VFL said:

That's a fair point. I still think there will be some level of trolling with it though. And how much can they restrict the options until it voids the point behind it?

It'd be cool if you could do all that customization but then still get some random traits as well, like height and weight variations. My biggest peeve with customization is game communities that look like Hitler's wet dreams. Everyone 6'5", blonde, and chiseled. It just ruins the immersion of the game for me. I want everyone to be human looking and not feeling superior based on the way their character looks.

I'm more concerned about ship customization being used to troll. I wonder how many flesh colored freelancers we'll see with names like "space dong" or "Schlonglancer".
You may laugh but you know it's going to happen.

I'm more concerned about ship customization being used to troll. I wonder how many flesh colored freelancers we'll see with names like "space dong" or "Schlonglancer".

Piracy and natural selection will take it's course. :) After so many times getting shot down I think they'll pick something more generic.

That would be my thought. Now light pink ships would be a huge advantage for atmospheric flight, just like navy blue would be for space flight, but that's another topic. People customizing their ships with names and features that make themselves more noticeable will draw enough negative attention that I think it will sort itself out.

1 hour ago, Fizzlefuse said:

Too bad that players who choose to ride around in ships like that can't take a reputation hit with NPCs who don't share their sense of childish humor

Customization, rather it a ship or person, is EXTREMELY important in MMO's. People should be able to create something unique in a world with millions of players. Rust for example made it random on what gender and appearance you have and I think it was an atrocity. Why would anyone want to put any time into a character that isn't theirs, especially with SC.

9 hours ago, VFL said:

Rust is still alive and well, which can't be said for it's competitors. I do like the idea of random character generation within a set of parameters. I'd like us to be able to say "Male/Female, Slim/Fat/Athletic, Tall/Medium/Short, Light/Dark/Colorful Complexion" and have it go from there.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, it's really unlikely CIG will do something like this, but I like this idea, VFL, it gives a balance between random and custom, and it gives more meaning to appearance than 'That's just whatever he wanted to look like', it becomes more realistic, I suppose

2 hours ago, Switch said:

Customization, rather it a ship or person, is EXTREMELY important in MMO's. People should be able to create something unique in a world with millions of players. Rust for example made it random on what gender and appearance you have and I think it was an atrocity. Why would anyone want to put any time into a character that isn't theirs, especially with SC.

Great point. I'm more inclined to care more for a character I created myself than I would for a random character given to me.

Great point. I'm more inclined to care more for a character I created myself than I would for a random character given to me.

I actually agree with you, and that's my point. People want to create their ideal person and the character becomes your focus more than the gameplay. Some people take this to the extreme and get a really unhealthy attachment and prefer their in-game self over their own real life.

Having the decision taken out of your hands is a lot like real life. It forces you to focus on buying ships, making money, and playing the game, rather than projecting a fake character.

John Doe winning a 1 v 3 dogfight >>>> Sir Ragnarok the Golden Knight of the Order of Crusader

No, character customization is vital to my initial interest in any game, MMO or a plain RPG, hell I get picky creating characters in  Divinity Originals Sin games as well.

I really love the way Black Desert has families with all your characters with the same surname and the ability to switch between them any time. It's great for large worlds to have this ability to multitask and give your main the ability to be a real explorer light years away from home.