----Specs----

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7500 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270P-D3: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting
50cm Blue LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor
AOC 21.5" E2270SWDN LED Monitor. 1920 x 1080, 5MS
Keyboard & Mouse
CoolerMaster Devastator II Combo Keyboard and Mouse
Gaming Mouse Pad
CM Storm Swift RX Gaming Mouse Pad - Small
Cable Management
3 x PCS 1.5M Zip Cable Tidy - Professional Cable Management
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI, PRE-10.30AM
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

-Moved to Hardware-

Here's the important parts

Processor (CPU)

• Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7500 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard

• Gigabyte Z270P-D3: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM)

• 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card

• 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

1st Hard Disk

• 1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE

I think it looks good, the processor I don't know anything about but googling it, it seems to compare fine with others and I know a 1060 will do just fine. Lemme find this PC spreadsheet for StarCitizen and get back to you before considering anything I say. @rimmer59 also might know something.

Update: With RSI changing to Spectrum they have removed the thread I was talking about but this one might give you something and there is this Hardware thread on Spectrum if you can't get your answer here, with SC being unoptimized at the moment I'm uncomfortable giving you an answer as the game can change day to day but I think that's an okay build but more opinions are always good. :)

I5 Processors are obsolete when compaired to Ryzens R5 processors.

If you're looking at new builds currently you get far more performance for the same price with a 6 core 12 thread CPU than you do for a 4 core 4 thread CPU.

Not to mention SC is going to be a AMD title (more support for their CPU's and GPU's) so you can expect better optimisation over the other vendors. Aswell as Chris Roberts himself saying the game will have support for 16 thread CPU's, which is likely what will be the standard in a few years time (or very close to maybe 12 threads) when the game is finally launched.

So you can bet your bottem dollar a 1600 & 1600x will obliterate any and all Intel current I5's on the market, for Vulcan and Dx12 games that are multi threaded supported.

TLDR; Avoid I5 builds. Most if not all tech reviewers have stated this.

12 hours ago, Basard said:

I5 Processors are obsolete when compaired to Ryzens R5 processors.

If you're looking at new builds currently you get far more performance for the same price with a 6 core 12 thread CPU than you do for a 4 core 4 thread CPU.

Not to mention SC is going to be a AMD title (more support for their CPU's and GPU's) so you can expect better optimisation over the other vendors. Aswell as Chris Roberts himself saying the game will have support for 16 thread CPU's, which is likely what will be the standard in a few years time (or very close to maybe 12 cores) when the game is finally launched.

So you can bet your bottem dollar a 1600 & 1600x will obliterate any and all Intel current I5's on the market, for Vulcan and Dx12 games that are multi threaded supported.

TLDR; Avoid I5 builds. Most if not all tech reviewers have stated this.

Citations needed.

Truth is most games still run on a few cores, and an i5 has them running quicker than the Ryzen does.  Dollar for Dollar the i5 is (slightly) faster in games.

And if you're going to recommend a Ryzen anyways, to stay at the same price range as an i5-7500, he should look at the R5-1500X.

Watch this video too:

The first video is very informative on what i've stated.

Ryzen is winning on the newer games, while not utilising 100% of all cores. where as the I5 has every core at 100% load with no head room for future games.

Recommending a 4 core CPU today is exactly like recommending a 2 core CPU back when 4 cores went main stream. And we can see what happend.

R5 1600 for $200 is basically the same chip (single core perf) he had listed (slightly better actually) and adds two cores.  The ~5%-10% performance difference at 1080p towards the 7600k doesn't seem worth it to me especially with 1440p+ becoming the standard for enthusiasts (god I hate that word).

I think this is the right link, but PCPP is down and I can't check.  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jPqsQV
e; Site is back up, it's a 1060 but you could add the 1070 in if desired.

Any update on this?  I think that we've given a bit of information on the topic.

I'd say that an R5 1600, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1070 would be a good starting point.  Throw in the trimmings and then go from there.  He is gaming on a laptop right now, so this would be a great improvement.  See about updating the BIOS on that ASUS board (or choose a different one) and OC that chip a little bit.  It would handle the game perfectly. 

I run a 3930k, which has similar single core performance to a 1600 w/ a GTX 980 (lower performance than a 1070).  You'd have a better computer than me and I can play SC perfectly fine.

• 4 weeks later...

The ryzen will be a bit slower at the moment of the equivalent processor but in the future when mass multi-core support goes through, it will be a better buy imo. I'm really glad to hear about AMD making a comeback after being silent for so long after the FX series processors. It'll be great for both sides of the fence on prices.

You need a higher rated PSU than that for the build. I would recommend between 550-650 watt. Corsair is a good brand to go with as is evga but usually the rule of thumb is 80 Gold certified PSUs. Spending a few extra bucks before you build this will save you a lot of headache later and won't put extra load on the PSU and cause a faster burnout of components. The PSU is the most important part of the system and going entry level is never a good idea.

If you want probably the best review site out there for PSUs. http://www.jonnyguru.com is your place to go. If you plan on expanding to higher level hardware later on, getting a 750-850 wants like the Corsair RM7/850i psu and the EVGA G2 750/850 Supernova PSUs are the best bang for the buck in making your psu last you a decade or more instead of 3 years and possibly blowing up a system on failure with an entry level psu. They cost about 30-60$ more than the one you selected but when it comes to power, it's never worth the risk.

Also stable power delivery means better overclocking of CPU, GPU, and to a much lesser extent of importance, RAM.