Build help AMD’s Upcoming 16 Core / 32 Threads Monsters,

Gremlich

I think Intel may have dropped the ball once again as far as CPU's are concerned. AMD may still have the edge on GPU's this generation though. 

This is a good article to read for a heads up comparison between the two:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4077536-intel-can-skylake-x-counter-amds-threadripper

Spoiler

Summary

Intel unveils Skylake-X to take on AMD.

Does Intel's Kaby Lake-X make any sense?

Intel unveils Skylake-X to take on AMD

6965821-14961964942571106.png

Source: Anandtech

In keeping with Intel's (NASDAQ:INTC) penchant for confusing nomenclature, some of the new Skylake-X processors are called Core i9 . . . but others are just called Core i7. All of the processors use the Skylake family architecture and replace the now defunct Broadwell-E.

Anandtech has the best rundown of the technical details of Skylake-X, and presents the information clearly and concisely. Skylake-X uses two basic Intel silicon die formats, a 12 core, Low Core Count (LCC) die and an 18 core High Core Count (HCC) die that had previously been reserved for Xeon server chips.

The LCC chips are available in 6, 8, 10, and 12 core variants (by disabling cores) and appear to be aimed directly at AMD's (NASDAQ:AMD) Ryzen 5 and 7 processors. For instance, the 8 core/16 thread Core i7-7820X compares favorably with the Ryzen 7 1800X (from Anandtech):

Comparison: Core i7-7820X vs. Ryzen 7 1800X

Intel
Core i7-7820X

Features

AMD
Ryzen 7 1800X

8 / 16

Cores/Threads

8 / 16

3.6 / 4.3GHz
(4.5 GHz TMax)

Base/Turbo

3.6 / 4.0 GHz

PCIe 3.0 Lanes

11 MB

L3 Cache

16 MB

140 W

TDP

95 W

$599

Price (MSRP)

$499

Higher (than 8) core count Skylake-X processors get the Core i9 designation, although some are derived from the LCC die and some from the HCC die. Core counts of 14, 16 and 18 are based on the HCC die. The top of the line 18 Core i9-7980XE appears to be aimed directly at AMD's 16 core Threadripper:

6965821-14961965425384278.png

Priced at $1999, it's doubtful that the 7980XE will be price competitive, and the chip seems to be more about bragging rights. AMD's approach to large core count processors is to mount 8-core silicon slices in a multichip module, as was disclosed in the case of the EPYC server chip, which features 32 cores. This appears to be a much more cost-effective approach than fabricating all cores on a single die.

Even Intel's 16 core Core i9-7960X at $1699 seems priced too high. Threadripper certainly looks like an opportunity to take high-end desktop share away from Intel, even if the lower level Skylake-X processors manage to counter Ryzen 7 and 5. Much depends on the relative performance of Skylake-X and Threadripper, which remains to be seen.

Does Intel's Kaby Lake-X make any sense?

While Skylake-X appears to be a rational counter to AMD's Ryzen 7 and Threadripper processors, Kaby Lake-X makes almost no sense. While Skylake-X offers more performance per core and more cores than Broadwell-E which it replaces, Kaby Lake-X offers no more cores, and only slightly higher performance than Kaby Lake. At the same time, Kaby Lake-X deletes on-board graphics.

Why bother? The answer appears to be that Kaby Lake-X uses the same LGA 2066 form factor and requires the new X299 chipset required by Skylake-X. Enthusiasts can buy X299 motherboards and throw in a relatively cheap Kaby Lake-X processor for starters, then upgrade to Skylake-X later on.

The strategy could backfire, since many of the features of Skylake-X such as a large number of PCIe slots and 4 channel memory will not be available with Kaby Lake-X.

6965821-1496196596371622.png

Consumers could end up confused and frustrated by the limitations of Kaby Lake-X. Given that buyers of Kaby Lake-X will be forced to purchase motherboard capabilities that they can't use, Kaby Lake-X looks like a bad deal despite its relatively low $339 sticker price.

AMD,finally with Threadripper makes Intel to reduce the overpriced CPUs of hers.

7800X 6/12 on 389$

7820X 8/16 on 599$

i9 7900X 10/20 from 1700$ to 999$

I am not AMD fan,Intel's user all my life since AMD could not,untill now(in my opinion),mekes the difference.

But this is great news for us,daily users.

Thanks AMD

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198430/components/intels-core-i9-starts-a-bloody-battle-for-enthusiast-pcs.html

56 minutes ago, Basard said:

Even Linus has issues with X299 from intel and they are very valid reasons...

Intel are nose diving big time!

I had no idea... Was so excited about a decently priced x6 Intel CPU I was blinded by everything else Intel was doing... Will have to seriously think this over :gr_confused:

Please drop real info.....and 

Ill  wait too see what's happening when the smoke clears.both sides of the fence are jumping w glee...... plus this tech needs all new everything.  New mother board type. Chip set, video cards, new case - too handle more closed loop radiators        ...except monitors.....maybe 4k.

5 hours ago, Painmiester said:

Please drop real info.....and 

Ill  wait too see what's happening when the smoke clears.both sides of the fence are jumping w glee...... plus this tech needs all new everything.  New mother board type. Chip set, video cards, new case - too handle more closed loop radiators        ...except monitors.....maybe 4k.

Pain watch the Video Linus is the biggest PC tech channel on youtube and knows his stuff.

Well the AMD haters and Intel fans are not going to like me as much now sadly on teamspeak hehe. :)

Can't get Vid.  On a ship  sill.

so is this A case they had the capability before but didn't market it ..and are now.

And add in the 10m cannon lake chip coming out....

1 hour ago, Basard said:

Pain watch the Video Linus is the biggest PC tech channel on youtube and knows his stuff.

Well the AMD haters and Intel fans are not going to like me as much now sadly on teamspeak hehe. :)

There are no haters just peeps w more money..

13 hours ago, Basard said:

Even Linus has issues with X299 from intel and they are very valid reasons...

Intel are nose diving big time!

The x299 is the motherboard model  what was wrong with it..using socket 2066 so what was the problem they ran Cross.

1 hour ago, Painmiester said:

The x299 is the motherboard model  what was wrong with it..using socket 2066 so what was the problem they ran Cross.

Alot of features are locked / removed.

He believes Intel have knee jerk reacted to Ryzen up to 16 core 32 thread threadripper CPU's in a half desperate attempt to appease enthusiasts and gamers. And then bashing Intel for setting 4 cores for the last 10 years while charging $700 to go from 8 to 10 cores.

He also goes on to show how confusing new platform is with CPU / memory compatabiliy. Theres loads of other things Intel has done to the platform which locks more features away behind a paywall, which is super anti consumer. (a big list which the vid goes into). Also no pricing, No CPU clock speeds ect.

But the vid also goes into other areas concerning how the x299 CPU's are not looking good.

I think it's pretty hilarious what Intel has allowed AMD to do.  Basically swoop in on those hex-core+ sales and Intel releases something to compete only after AMD has had their processors on the market.  I agree with Linus, they didn't put out their best product but rather put out something slightly better or a direct competitor to AMD (this is what all businesses do, but not on the scale of Intel/AMD).  They were afraid of giving up their Xeon line exclusivity and instead have created a bubble around their pricing structure when compared to AMD.

Competition is good, because this is what it looks like ^^

I'm gunna stay far away from the Intel reaction-to-Ryzen stuff until it blows over and is solidly reviewed.  Stuff rushed out that fast is going to have problems... Intel occasionally has problems in the microcode when they can take their time.  I expect this to be a clusterfuck.

It would be awesome if they made a 7740K-like CPU of the Skylake generation, so I can stay with Windows 7 while getting an upgrade.  As it stands the i9-7820X looks like it has both the clockspeed and the cores, but I thought it could only achieve that clockspeed while self-limiting itself to only 2 cores... which means it'll be shit for gaming and streaming at the same time.

The only point where I thought Linus was flat out wrong was on the integrated graphics part of the rant.  I don't want integrated graphics sucking up power and generating heat.  I never wanted it in the first place when Intel "gave" it to me with Sandy Bridge.  I don't care about Quicksync either, these CPUs (including the Ryzen) all have enough cores to not need Quicksync, they can software encode like beasts.  And the add-in GPUs have hardware encoders that are nearly as good as Quicksync anyways.  He missed the boat on that part but the rest of his rant was pretty spot on.

The 18, 16, 14, and 12 core were paper launches of CPU's intel really doesn't have. They are likely going to backfill with rebadged Xeons, but according to X299 manufactures it won't be out this year. 

With Ryzen optimizations closing the gaming gap on intel and the hinted price of the Ryzen 16/32 being only $849 ... intel is in a lot of trouble ... at least for the next year or so. The TR4 socket can handle up to 32 core/64 threads and with Infinity Fabric, AMD can easily just add a couple more CCX and take the HEDT core crown anytime it wants if there is a demand for it.

AMD's process is just far more efficient and scalable compared to intels.

LOL it's a good thing I didn't have time for my 1800x build and decided to wait for more memory compatibility. Looks like a 1976X might come my way instead. Fortunately the new 399 chipset has much more PCI lanes so I'm not stuck with 1 full speed NVME SSD anymore. I just hope they have the mem compatibility sorted out for these new boards ....

On Thursday, June 08, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Booster Terrik said:

True, if AMD does not deliver I will most likely buy the new i9-7900x, the cheapest intel with 44 pci lanes

Is this for a gaming PC?  Why do you need so many PCIe lanes?  Why wouldn't you get something with higher clock speeds and save the money as a side bonus?  The i9s and the Ryzens will not run Star Citizen as well as an i7.

5 hours ago, Boildown said:

Is this for a gaming PC?  Why do you need so many PCIe lanes?  Why wouldn't you get something with higher clock speeds and save the money as a side bonus?  The i9s and the Ryzens will not run Star Citizen as well as an i7.

Thats not true for Multi threaded games on DX12 / Vulkan. A good example is watch dogs 2 with it's multi threaded support. You'll be seeing the 1700-1700x & 1800x over taking the 7700k in more new titles.

And as far as Star Citizen is concerned, it will be 8 cores and 16 thread CPU's taking the lead. As Chris has said he will be supporting high core CPU's in the Vulkan API.

2 hours ago, Basard said:

Thats not true for Multi threaded games on DX12 / Vulkan. A good example is watch dogs 2 with it's multi threaded support. You'll be seeing the 1700-1700x & 1800x over taking the 7700k in more new titles.

And as far as Star Citizen is concerned, it will be 8 cores and 16 thread CPU's taking the lead. As Chris has said he will be supporting high core CPU's in the Vulkan API.

Can you link to benchmarks that put any Ryzen ahead of a 7700k in games?  I can't find any, even for DX12 or Vulkan.

As far as Star Citizen is concerned, we know they're aiming at using more cores but I don't think that favors having more slower cores.  The 4 core - 8 thread i7 is still going to be the best performing part.

18 hours ago, Basard said:

Yup  multi core will dominate and the higher threads

But which one will give 64. Tread  first .

If intel can't get sorted...and or get the coffee  lake  out....

Timetables have jumped  make 2-6 months to push coffin out another series out.