Ship to Ship docking Not Expected Until After Launch

GeraldEvans

hrm. thats a shame though i imagine it won't really cause that much difficulty.
Small and Medium sized ships can land and many larger vessels either have options for shuttles to land inside or have their cargo easily accessible on the outside. I imagine this will create more jobs for shuttle pilots:D

As the owner of four Connies and the BMM, I am fine that the ships cannot dock together.  It is not a loss of gameplay, just something that would be a 'cool' factor.  For the larger ships, yeah, bring out the Argos!  And Matt Sherman is correct in the sizes of the cargo containers and most docking collars, it will be a tight fit!  Obviously, the smaller handheld items can pass through. 

there is nothing wrong with going EVA between two ships parked next to each other.  Hell, we've done that a few times already in our Game Days.  Going EVA is actually a cool thing to do, and certainly easier for the game programming; I cannot fathom two docked ships with the gravity grids at really odd angles and programming that.... I need to go lie down. LOL

4 minutes ago, Rocket Man said:

there is nothing wrong with going EVA between two ships parked next to each other.  Hell, we've done that a few times already in our Game Days.  Going EVA is actually a cool thing to do, and certainly easier for the game programming; I cannot fathom two docked ships with the gravity grids at really odd angles and programming that.... I need to go lie down. LOL

I believe it would be fairly easy. It would just be an animation of floating from one ship to another and using the ledge to pull yourself into the other ship. 

giphy.gif

Having to EVA between two stationary ships in space instead of simply walking through a docking collar (like sane people would) is frankly way off the charts on my silliness gauge, but it's not like it will break the game if I can't do it. I'll make sure to roll my eyes disapprovingly if it gets mentioned and just get on with it...

I can't say that I put much stock into Matt Sherman's pronouncements...

And after all the non-essential miracles CIG devs pulled out of their hats, docking two ships with compatible docking collars in space is too much of a hassle to produce?

If the captain of one of the ships has to hit an "I'm now immovable" switch in the cockpit, so be it.  If they move while docked, just have the server call it a ramming incident and damage / explode both ships..

In a space sim with heavy first person / FPS component, Not being able to dock ships where the docking port is compatible seems downright stupid.

Should get their handwavium straight:  food replicators and teleporters. thanks.  ;-)

I can't read Matt's comment as "Is not expected until after release", to me, it sounded closer to "may possibly be tackled after release"  which I read as "we don't know if we'll ever do it" vs "just wait till after release for it".

On 5/27/2017 at 6:04 AM, Porcupine said:

I'll make sure to roll my eyes disapprovingly if it gets mentioned...

Just check your watch before you do.  You wouldn't want any bell tower to toll with your eyes all screwed up.  Docking just isn't worth that risk...

1 hour ago, GeraldEvans said:

Tea: Earl Grey; hot.

Man in the desert points up and says: "this entire structure was built out of pure handwavium!  See, how you hear no clanking sounds when the sun comes up? No faint grinding or scraping as the stars rotate through the night?"

On 5/26/2017 at 0:02 AM, Rocket Man said:

As the owner of four Connies and the BMM, I am fine that the ships cannot dock together.  It is not a loss of gameplay, just something that would be a 'cool' factor.  For the larger ships, yeah, bring out the Argos!  And Matt Sherman is correct in the sizes of the cargo containers and most docking collars, it will be a tight fit!  Obviously, the smaller handheld items can pass through. 

I think you would need to align the 3D grid floors, just like the game does for landings.

CIG has created local grids, they should be able to manipulate them...

Granted, finishing the game sooner wins over ship docking to me, not sure about everybody else ;-)

Oh, I guess I'll comment on owning 4 Constellations:  Going by CR's in-game price-structure pronouncements, you should melt all 4 and for the ~$1,000 get fewer larger ships.  Because if you have one Carrack, Crucible, Endeavor, or BMM and sell it in game, you can probably buy 8 Constellations for the money. If you had a Polaris or 890 Jump, you could probably buy 20+ Constellations for the proceeds from the sale, if you really want a poorly furnished trailer park kind of ship. My Constellation always reminds me of Trevor's trailer in GTA5  :D

CR is talking "geometric price increases" for larger ships vs smaller ships.  Get ready for eye-popping grind times; how else is CIG going to get enough game currency sold to sustain themselves?  And you already know the marketing department's unrestrained antics aren't going to go away upon release...