$150.000.000 reached!

VoA

inb4 free CCU for all existing backers xD

But seriously I'd love to see some sort of beacon device that you can use to summon your ship if you're on planetside i.e. your ship flies as close to your location as possible using autopilot.  Another idea would be a free maintenance droid that has zero defense/offense capabilities that could provide ship repairs, but at 5%-10% of the rate that a human/NPC repair speed, e.g. like this one.

I really do wish they would bring back the old incentive program, but not on the same scale of items. small things like the armor, or pet. Before it all got out of hand. The problem with the system was it was doing so well they were digging themselves in a whole. At one point I remember us hitting 2 goals in one day.... and soon after they shut it down because they were creating more work than they could keep up with. Good idea for funding but needs to keep it under control.

5 hours ago, Juntau said:

Well, even so, I'd say it's more in the 500-750k per month range. Maybe even a bit more. So these types of sales are absolutely necessary to the long term stability and success of the company and the project. BUY MORE SHIPS!

I will do my best to spend all my money :P

To me the main benefit Star Citizen has over publisher released titles is that all the money has been frontloaded by the community instead of investors who expect a hefty return on their investment.

Take Mass Effect Andromeda for instance. EA expected it would sell 6-9 million units (with an estimated 3 million units in the first week). In reality however it had a poor reception, met with mediocre sales and apparently only sold around 3 million units total so far. So if we're generous and put the retail price at $60 ME:A only sold for $180m. Now substract the costs for development, marketing and investors who want their money back and from a sales expectations perspective of ~$360m to ~$540m it failed miserably at only ~$180m.

EA apparently thought the Mass Effect name was enough to rake in the cash by the bucket but their smug attitude and inflated expectations cost them dearly and now the team still 'working' on ME:A is just a skeleton crew of bugfixers and Steve from Accounting.

With Star Citizen the $150m can all go into development and once it goes live any money made on after-launch sales for SQ42 and Star Citizen is pure profit which can then be used to pay for development of SQ42 episodes, Cloud hosting costs and updates; ensuring lots of developers earning money to support their families. :)

The only thing CIG needs to do is deliver the games (preferably before I die of old age) and even if it fails to live up to all expectations they won't have angry investors wanting their money (plus interest) back. :P

On Andromeda, I wonder if more people wait for games to be patched and go on sale on Steam before buying these days.  I know I do.  The problem used to be having too much time and not enough games. Now the situation has reversed, and it lends itself to waiting on patched games and better deals.

On Star Citizen, the funding milestone is great news.  CIG needs steady cash.  With 462 employees, they are burning $50M to $60M annually  and are several years into that.  The longer they keep up the funding flow the longer they will have without a bigger investor calling the shots.

3 hours ago, Sky Captain said:

On Andromeda, I wonder if more people wait for games to be patched and go on sale on Steam before buying these days.  I know I do.  The problem used to be having too much time and not enough games. Now the situation has reversed, and it lends itself to waiting on patched games and better deals.

On Star Citizen, the funding milestone is great news.  CIG needs steady cash.  With 462 employees, they are burning $50M to $60M annually  and are several years into that.  The longer they keep up the funding flow the longer they will have without a bigger investor calling the shots.

yeah i put them about $50 mil per year for operating costs, that is why 3.0 is critical to the continued cash generation as it is a big milestone