F7C-S Hornet Ghost Missile & Target Locking Limit Loadout

EI2EBUS

Hello. 

I haven't bought a pledge yet but I'm learning as much as I can before buying.

Before I do buy a pledge I want to know for sure what I'm planning to do works.

So when I first heard of the game I immediately fell in love. It was all I could ask for in a game. When I came across the F7C-S Hornet Ghost, while browsing different ships, I knew that this would be my ship. However, I had doubts because I wasn't sure what the capabilities of this ship and other ships were. After days of research, I came across this VIDEO. The very aspect that the F7C-S Hornet Ghost cannot be locked on by missiles was the main reason why I decided to buy this ship.

My aim is to find a loadout for the F7C-S Hornet Ghost that is able to be invisible to missiles and target locking while being able to maximize damage output.

To my knowledge, ballistic weapons except for gatling type weapons have lower EM or IR signatures compared to lasers and others.

What I have in though right now is this loadout: all weapons ballistic & fixed.

N4-160F Turret & C4-160F Hornet Ball Turret= 16,500 REC (Super Hornet Price)

Nose:
9-Series Long Sword X2= 800 REC

Wings:
Tarantula GT 870 MK2 X2= 1800 REC

Ball Turret:
Tarantula GT 870 MK2 X2= 1800 REC

Shield:
MARK 404-ID= 1500 REC

Since I don't own the game yet I was wondering if someone could test this setup and work from here down by changing weapons, engines, coolers, etc.

Firstly, the Ghost doesn't have the ball turret, only the Super Hornet does, and I don't think the Ghost can equip the ball turret. Also, the Ghost doesn't come equipped with the "chin turret" so you'll either have to buy/rent that or a S3 gimbal to equip weapons on the S3 nose hardpoint.

Second, regarding the Ghost's "missile immunity", I've been playing AC since it was released and I have to tell you that missiles are NOT very effective in PvP dogfighting. I estimate that missile accuracy is 25% at best, because of countermeasures -- and every player knows to use countermeasures. Also, even if a missile scores a direct hit, Size 1 missiles will only kill the lightest ships, like the Mustang or M50. Even an Aurora can survive a Size 1 missile hit, although it will be heavily damaged. A Hornet can definitely survive a Size 1 missile hit. So if you like the Ghost because it's virtually immune to missiles, that's not a decisive advantage.

I've been in dogfights with the Ghost and it slips in and out of sensor lock, depending on its range, if it uses afterburner/boost, or its firing energy weapons. However, it's ability to elude sensors didn't matter because I was able to track it visually. I've fought Ghosts in my SH, Sabre, and Bucc, and defeated them. The problem with the Ghost is that it can't inflict enough damage to kill most starfighters in one attack run. An experienced PvP pilot will realize they're under attack and take evasive action before the Ghost can kill them, or even take down their shields. Once the pilot figures out a Ghost is on their tail, they should be able to deal with it.

The Ghost is a hit-&-run fighter and a kill-stealer. If the Ghost can blindside a damaged enemy ship, it can kill it. And some opponents might be fooled and frustrated by the Ghost's stealth abilities. But an experienced hunter will be able to deal with the Ghost, hunt it down, and kill it.

I'm not saying don't buy the Hornet Ghost. I'm just informing you that the Ghost isn't going to grant you an unbeatable edge in PvP. And BTW, NPC enemies, like the Vanduul in Vanduul Swarm, can detect the Ghost and attack it. CIG has programmed NPC ships to cheat in AC, which is why they can detect the Ghost.

My suggestion is buy a less expensive game package, develop your skills in AC MP matches, save up RECs, and then rent the Ghost. Try it out and learn its capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses, and decide if it's the right starfighter for you. Then you have the option of purchasing a CCU to upgrade your game package's ship to the Ghost.

Let me add that the mechanics for the Ghost such as stealth haven't been implemented yet and all of the ships will continue to get balanced as we continue pushing towards Beta. 

In the end, get what ship appeals to you, even if it isn't the best. Star Citizen is about skill. I can't count the amount of time I've seen Hornet's taken out by Aurora's and other cheaper ships simply because the pilot was better than the other. If you get good at flying your ship and learning it inside and out, anything is possible. Don't let specs or the price of ships defer you from buying what you would consider your "dream ship".

Tbh I would use a sabre rather than a Hornet Ghost more so for specifically stealth. I find most of the Hornet variants IE Track and ghost. Better stealth and better tracking. Also the Idris can fit the Sabra/terrapins so it is a handy bonus.

As said by @Donut stealth isn't working yet, not sure if it is a 3.* yet. 

6 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

As said by @Donut stealth isn't working yet, not sure if it is a 3.* yet. 

The Ghost's stealth does work currently, but not the Sabre's supposed stealth abilities.

As I explained above, the Ghost is stealthy enough that it's difficult to maintain sensor lock, and guided missiles are pointless, but it's not "invisible" to sensors.

CIG has explained that's how stealth works in Star Citizen. Ships don't have cloaking devices that render them invisible. It's about visual and sensor detection. The Ghost is more difficult for sensors to detect than other ships. The Sabre is supposed to be too, but CIG has nerfed its stealth capabilities, presumably to balance it for AC. It's possible CIG will enhance the Sabre's stealth characteristics in the future. Although my money is on the Sabre Raven being the dedicated stealth fighter variant of the Sabre, which will be super stealthy, but won't match the Sabre's dogfighting performance as an agility fighter.