Sandi's question on Facebook: What ship will you be flying the first time you land surface-side?

Tom Villder

3 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

We can only make educated guesses starting from the information they've given us. Extrapolating too far beyond that and injecting what we desire them to do is just a recipe for disappointment.

I daresay that half of the hate SC gets was because of theorycrafting/speculation that spun out of control and got turned into fact.

It doesn't help that a dev will say something with authority well before work has begun on a mechanic or bit of kit and then years later the community is under the impression this is still true even though in the meantime they've revised it and we're simply not privy to the update.

3 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

It doesn't help that a dev will say something with authority well before work has begun on a mechanic or bit of kit and then years later the community is under the impression this is still true even though in the meantime they've revised it and we're simply not privy to the update.

Indeed. Funniest example for that was the PvP slider - announced and described in depth multiple times by the head dev himself.

Some years later, 3 of 4 developers in a CIG video professed never to have heard about the PvP slider...

This raised some eyebrows on the forum, upon which the PvP slider was declared to have been dropped due to the concept of multiple instances having been dropped.

Needless to say, that if they really *wanted* to, there would be other ways to implement that feature, like making your ship increasingly harder to detect by players, depending on slider position, while NPCs would continue to detect your ship normally, to mention just one of many possible ways to do it.

Beyond that, I'm not quite stupid enough to get upset over speculation - which is always good entertainment and sometimes useful.  And changes are expected during software development.  The only things that do bother me are dishonesty, sleazy business practices and general lack of a sense of honor and kinship.

I consider This whole thread as just for fun - about what you will you fly to land on a planet the first time, so I'm gonna stick to my Endeavor.  If you have a super collider installed, that could indeed be tricky!  You'd have to find some very specific features in the landscape, like a deep ravine or canyon you can park your ship across  :D

You could also try to land it like a Necromonger ship!  That would rule...

4 hours ago, Tom Villder said:

I daresay that half of the hate SC gets was because of theorycrafting/speculation that spun out of control and got turned into fact.

I think not... 

I know there's generally a low opinion about forum posters on RSI / Spectrum.

But CIG's clumsy communication failures create about a third of the issues. The creepy marketing department creates the biggest third of issues and only the last third is due to backers going nuts over misconceptions they created themselves...

26 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

The most recent is Chris himself saying they haven't figured out how to handle people with multiple packages. Do you get extra characters and starting hangars or just the one?

Um...just go back and reference your own 10 For from two years ago?

lol I hadn't seen that one yet!

Having been paying all that much attention lately - slightly busy building a house...  pouring the first floor ceiling today.

And don't anybody try to land on that!  In ANY ship!  Its private property and I don't think the bamboo sections of the house could hold up under the weight of all your freelancers and constellations...

28 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

The most recent is Chris himself saying they haven't figured out how to handle people with multiple packages. Do you get extra characters and starting hangars or just the one?

Their first mistake, well maybe Turbulent, was allowing players who had packages to continue buying more packages instead of restricting package bought players to standalone ships. I have 3-4 buy back's I'm willing to restore not just for the ships, but because I want those NPC slots too. If CR goes back and says that's not the case anymore, that extra packages don't equal NPC slots, myself and 400,000 other backers are going to give CIG customer support a bad day.

7 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

I won't give them a hard time but I'll see how I can reclaim the $15/per difference.

Yeah, no need to be ugly - though they might try to refuse to spit it up...

Given how much cash this could add up to, it might really be a minor disaster CIG would want to avoid at all cost.

This leads me to believe, that CR will re-remember, that extra, customizable NPCs were a fine idea that should be retained - if only to avoid loosing the cash, not to mention the administrative nightmare - unless CIG really acted pro-actively for once and auto-refunded every player to store credit on the day of the announcement that no customizable NPCs will be forthcoming for additional game copies owned...

If CIG is lucky, people will not challenge the store credit method and CIG avoids loosing all that cash.

If you assumed only one third of backers had one extra game account, that would amount to somewhere around $7 million.  Not chump change by any measure.  Lots of speculative math possible at $150 million in funding, I'll leave that to others  ;-)

So I believe everything will stay as it was before CR's memory lapse.  ;-)

On a side note:  Alzheimer's disease rose to the number 1 cause of death in elderly people in the UK. A lot of people not yet diagnosed with Alzheimer's may already be struggling with early symptoms.  Aluminum intake has been named as a major cause for Alzheimer's. Potential sources are 1) Restaurants around the globe switched to cooking in aluminum pots some time in the 80's. 2) Aluminum micro-particulate is being sprayed from commercial Airplanes to combat global warming, in hopes to reflect sunlight back out to space, before it reaches the earth's surface. Sadly, this also damages the Ozone layer, which would seem to be even more damaging to our biosphere than a few extra degrees to our temperature average.  (Avoid licking your iPhones too)

I'm resigned to the fact that collectively, humans are idiots, who would be best off to stop trying to 'fix' anything as every one of our 'fixes' has been retarded in various obvious ways and has - without exception - made things worse...

George Carlin figured the earth only produced us as a species because it wanted plastic.  Goal accomplished. Now, how to get rid of us efficiently?  Aluminum!  ;-)

16 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

WTF?? I specifically bought additional game packages because CIG said I could turn them into custom npcs. I want my Firefly crew!! :(

As a result I already have 3 game packages specifically for that purpose and was intending to buy those 'game character slots' as well to add even more custom npcs.

I really hope CIG won't suddenly drop that idea after specifically stating how it would work in the Multiple Package Clarification post.

I don't mind just getting 1 starting hangar, but I do mind if they only give me 1 character.

18 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

I don't mind just getting 1 starting hangar, but I do mind if they only give me 1 character.

Right there with you. Have three ships that I want to buy back, but they won't be getting my money if they turn around and renege their statement of multiple packages within the same account.

2 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

WTF?? I specifically bought additional game packages because CIG said I could turn them into custom npcs. I want my Firefly crew!! :(

As a result I already have 3 game packages specifically for that purpose and was intending to buy those 'game character slots' as well to add even more custom npcs.

I really hope CIG won't suddenly drop that idea after specifically stating how it would work in the Multiple Package Clarification post.

Same here, I have 3 packages to get extra NPC crew (that PCs can jump into when needed)... oh well, if it turns out that isn't the case anymore then I'll melt them.

I feel like CR gets bombarded with so many questions that they all eventually start running together. The game is so complex for what they have planned, I doubt anyone will memorize every little detail including him. 

For now let's just assume that the letter is still valid and to only buy back the ships you actually want. Worst case scenario is that they renege but then give us $15 vouchers for each extra package we have to use for extra character slots in the store. 

4 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

Best to wait. They have said on multiple occasions they'll sell character slots. Perhaps we could all email Batgirl and ask her to get Ben to clarify...

starcitizenaa@gmail.com

Ben is on record with more inaccurate or wrong statements than CR, I think.

And how come the ONLY place you ever hear from Ben now is an obscure, unofficial 3rd party channel, that's kinda hard to sit through?

I guess I'm lax on this, since I plan to play on private servers, where I can give myself some NPCs, regardless of what CIG does ^^

Hope there will be no memory lapse on private servers...

4 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

Ben intentionally took himself off AtV because it was adding too much stress to his life.  I don't know why he has chosen to continue with Bensday, but he does and it's been a useful conduit of information (and yes, the occasional inaccuracy) for a couple of years.

Oh I see...

I just remember he never came back after sepsis forced him to spend time in the hospital...

Hard for me to think of Ben as stressed out - he looked like the most relaxed guy around, enjoying himself at his dream job.

Someone should ask Batgirl -

to ask him what ship he'll do his first planet side landing in!

1 hour ago, Gremlich said:

Kind of a shitty question, I want to land in my Carrack.

Shitty, because you won't be able to, at least not for the first landing?

You do have an undeniable point there...

13 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

You could just wait for the Carrack before landing on a planet. After all, 3.0 only brings moon landings. No planets here.

LOL you're too damned clever  :)

Sometimes you can satisfy people in letter, but not in spirit...

I guess with luck, CIG will hold planets until the Carrack is out :P

Despite the apparent cliché, I gotta say that the Connie would be one of the more epic ways to do a first landing on a planetary body, imo. It just feels so... expeditionary! So iconic! I'm sure I'll probably change my tune when the PU is more flushed out and every second ship you encounter is a Constellation, but for now the "commercial" for the Constellation is thoroughly burned into my consciousness, haha.

Admittedly I'm a bit biased: the constellation was the ship that turned my fascination for Star Citizen into a passion, years ago. My old roommates and I were constantly batting around the idea of pitching in for a constellation and salivating over the adventures we might have with such a vessel :-D.

At any rate, I suppose it's all moot, as I still don't have a constellation, haha. I'll probably fly my family's freelancer, or failing that, my 315 (figure it's a little more versatile for exploring a moon than my Sabre.)

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk