Sandi's question on Facebook: What ship will you be flying the first time you land surface-side?

Tom Villder

I for one plan to use my trusty Freelancer (or the reworked Cutlass Black if available) with a Dragonfly and land on the planet for the first time.  I would probably park my ship in a cave so it would be harder to find while I'm using my land vehicle.  If land vehicle fuel is infinite in their first iteration, then one of the first things I would do is to circumnavigate the smallest moon once in a Dragonfly.

What are your plans?

15 hours ago, Reavern said:

Constellation, obviously.

I don't know if Connies will be able to carry a rover or Dragonfly when Alpha 3.0 is released, but I'll definitely be flying my Connie for my first planetary landing.

Ursa is slated for 3.0 as are the Dragonflies.  The question is how do you spawn a Connie with either inside.

The only thing for me that would make this better is if they have managed the Merlin dock by the release of 3.0. Nothing would be cooler than landing the big slow connie and sending out the Merlin as a scouting vehicle, finding a point of interest and reporting back, the captain of the Connie repositioning it closer, and the remaining crew advancing via Ursa.

15 hours ago, SlickReed said:

Freelancer mainly to get up to speed on the trade system. Does anyone know if trade will be limited to buy/sell or will there be cargo transport missions as well?

There are supposed to be trade missions. How deep they go is the question.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:23 AM, GeraldEvans said:

Ursa is slated for 3.0 as are the Dragonflies.  The question is how do you spawn a Connie with either inside.

The only thing for me that would make this better is if they have managed the Merlin dock by the release of 3.0. Nothing would be cooler than landing the big slow connie and sending out the Merlin as a scouting vehicle, finding a point of interest and reporting back, the captain of the Connie repositioning it closer, and the remaining crew advancing via Ursa.

There are supposed to be trade missions. How deep they go is the question.

I believe this is covered in Item 2.0, Room & Object Container Systems. We already know that Alpha 3.0 will allow Dragonflies to be carried safely aboard ships, and presumably Ursa Rovers too.

I expect that CIG will include a way to spawn a Dragonfly or rover inside a suitable ship's cargo bay, I imagine similar to how we can interact with a ship's hardpoints and components in Hangar and on landing pads in the PU. There could be an item node on the floor of a cargo bay, which will allow plays to spawn in vehicles.

Holy cow, so many constellation owners!

Are these all second-handers from the various nerf prompted melting waves?

8 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

Yes. If you don't have the hangar module you need some way to get to the surface.

Definitely, hangar module on mine.

But interesting question...

How do you get down to the surface without it?

Is there a basic elevator?  Do you need to use the detachable explorer module to get to the surface?  Can you jump out of some hatch with a dragonfly?

Also Constellation.  I've got a Phoenix upgrade yet un-applied, if they get rover loaners (or the intended rover is ready), then I'll have to finally apply it.  And that makes perfect sense for planetary exploration.

17 minutes ago, Boildown said:

Also Constellation.  I've got a Phoenix upgrade yet un-applied, if they get rover loaners (or the intended rover is ready), then I'll have to finally apply it.  And that makes perfect sense for planetary exploration.

With all my dislike for the Constellation, it does seem like a good size to be hovering around in a planet's atmosphere... dropping the snub out of the bottom and chasing through canyons with it should also be quite fun.

Not that you can't do exactly the same in a Carrack with a lot more utility at your disposal, but it should be easier to maneuver a Conny around the edges of a sandstorm... (depends on how much of a difference the size of a ship's surface to the wind makes - quite possible it won't be taken into account, depending on how far CIG gets in implementing the more arcane atmospheric flight mechanics)  CIG talked about atmospheric flight model details they'd like, but they talk a lot when the days are long and not all of it comes to pass.

Holy cow, so many constellation owners!
Are these all second-handers from the various nerf prompted melting waves?

Definitely, hangar module on mine.
But interesting question...
How do you get down to the surface without it?
Is there a basic elevator?  Do you need to use the detachable explorer module to get to the surface?  Can you jump out of some hatch with a dragonfly?

You don't. QA for the Endeavour covers it. You can use the explorer cab or take another ship if you have the hangar. Both leave the Endeavour in orbit waiting for you.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14989-MISC-Endeavor-Q-A-Part-2

18 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

You don't. QA for the Endeavour covers it. You can use the explorer cab or take another ship if you have the hangar. Both leave the Endeavour in orbit waiting for you.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14989-MISC-Endeavor-Q-A-Part-2

Thanks for the link!

Its been a while since I read that...

Call me dense, but upon re-reading it, I don't see them say explicitly, that you can't set it down on a planet.  Only that it doesn't fit in any Hangar.

Also, when they wrote that old Q&A, they didn't have planetary landing tech developed yet!  So, any answer from back then might just be obsolete by now...

Then there's that thing they said about standard landing areas:

Spoiler

"Since the ship cannot dock in our hangars, does it persist in the universe when we log out?

No, we do not intend for ships to be always ‘at risk’ just because they don’t fit in your Hangar. Standard landing areas will keep the workshop and drive sections safe while you land the Explorer in your hangar. (Of course, if you leave it in orbit of some unexplored planet the story is quite different!)"

You need a landing zone equipped to park the rest of it.

"Since the ship cannot dock in our hangars, does it persist in the universe when we log out?

No, we do not intend for ships to be always ‘at risk’ just because they don’t fit in your Hangar. Standard landing areas will keep the workshop and drive sections safe while you land the Explorer in your hangar. (Of course, if you leave it in orbit of some unexplored planet the story is quite different!)"

3 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

You need a landing zone equipped to park the rest of it.

"Since the ship cannot dock in our hangars, does it persist in the universe when we log out?

When the Q&A was written, that was probably the idea.

But now we have planet surfaces that allow us to set down anywhere, without the size restriction of a hangar.  Chances are, a large / long enough flat area will suffice...

I wouldn't bet on it. Just look at the supercollider. What kind of landing gear would the ship need to accommodate that? To me it needs a landing cradle specific to the ship. Hence the front pod.

We can only make educated guesses starting from the information they've given us. Extrapolating too far beyond that and injecting what we desire them to do is just a recipe for disappointment.