warning on your CCUs!

Amy Babe

This is bad !

the time when you owned $0 CCUs is over! now the cheapest ones will cost $5

Hey everyone,

Per our pricing announcement policy: the next ship concept sale, launching May 19th, will be $275 (credit.) This one is TOP SECRET, so we can’t even announce a name yet… but I think you’ll be very happy when you see what the ship team has for you this time around!

I would also like to announce an upcoming change to the CCU system. Starting with this sale, the base price for all CCUs will be $5. We’ve been thinking about this change for a while because there are currently 1.1 million unused CCUs in our system. That’s great for funding because it means there are a million potential ships backers can upgrade to at any time. It’s not so good for our designers, who use data on ships owned in their balancing work. As you can imagine, that’s getting more important the closer we get to the in-game economy!

We’re going with this route because it still allows you to make changes in your ships but will hopefully limit the amount of previously-$0 ‘cross grade’ CCUs that are being stockpiled for a number of reasons (some as intended, others not!) The additional $5 will be included in the ship’s overall value, so it will be returned should you decide to melt something. This will not impact existing CCUs already purchased and it will not change your ability to melt older ships for credit to switch over to a new concept.

That’s it for this week; I can’t wait to see what you think of the Ec…xcellent ship we’ve cooked up.

It's not bad at all. Someone has to apply official CCU's to our accounts and when we make zero dollar CCU's, CIG is losing money. I'm more than happy to pay a $5 fee for a cross ship CCU, and I hope everyone else should be too because in the end we're supporting CIG and those contracted out to help us make those changes to our account.

It's bullshit, plain and simple.

If they stopped changing ships initial design we wouldn't need to change ships every 2 months.

Went to the store and got a bunch of CCU, just because i still can, even for shit that i don't have, nor intention to.

1 hour ago, Devil Khan said:

Your designers are giving  bad ship stats to work with. CR is very bad at the designer world.

Agreed, this is a BS money grab. Every single move in the last year has been in the cash grab direction rather than value for the backers. Lately, the CCU change, the AC drop in REC/Min, and the fact that you can't buy two mousepad in one order. You have to do two order and pay the same shipping rate. When every little choice they make results in them getting more cash, it starts to look pretty damn planned. 

I am disgusted with CIG. The ships are unbalanced mess, so you have to either buy them all or CCU to the OP ship. Now, I have to pay to move between ships. 

I have once heard that they use # of ships in game balancing in hours with devs. It is made up crap. They might use it balance sale prices. 

On the flipside, name one major game/crowdfunding studio/group that allows people to do the amount of customization to their pledging that CIG does. For YEARS we have been beneficiaries of very, VERY backer/consumer positive policies, and a lot of people have taken advantage of that in order to enrich themselves by playing the grey market. CIG's changes to LTI and even this CCU change were inevitable, given the grey market's size and monetary flow, and if CIG wants to be able to take advantage of some of that crowd in order to get more money, that's fine with me. And before people go, "Well CIG could kill the grey market!" they need to remember that the grey market exists BECAUSE of all the consumer positive policies that CIG has implemented. If they were to take measures to get rid of the grey market, they would most likely have to get rid of or restrict the consumer-centric policies that have given us so much customizability to our pledges. 

@Chimaera there are other ways to cut the grey market margin. For example, unmelts for cash are not giftable. You could limit the number of CCU someone can have etc...  The $5 is just a cash grab see Arena Commander pass.  We have gotten friendly policies, and CIG has gotten a continuous cash stream. CIG has done a lot of moves to reduce the grey market margin for years without being this blunt. I just see another step in CIG's contempt for the community. They keep release combat ship concepts without balanced ships or even a combat ships role doc.  

as long as "everything is subject to change" i feel like i want to have flexibility in my choices.

we purchase ships (some will pretend: no you support cog... actually i do both but since i dont send them money for nothing, i consider that i pre purchase ships), so we purchase ships based on preliminary concepts coming from fantasy worlds were everything is a...ma...zing. then comez rezl life and it is no more what you dream off...nor what you were told it would be

cig changes its mind for free on ships roles/stats/features? so can I!

fair and balanced.

It is from $0 that are charged $5 AGAIN . Also stop bitching as it is only the $0 that are bumped to $5 and probably are now giftable. However there are now real change with people who have already got there 10-20x of the $0. Again it was first one CCU, when the pricing was zero or lower there would be a "$5 cost" first they killed off the downgrade and about 2 years ago removed the $0 and removed the giftable.

It really doesn't affect the "traders" who have tons of $0 for the ships, but they won't be too affected as a $5 increase won't hurt them. there is even a fractionally much smaller who have some ships they same price EG $110, $165, $250 and $350. They won't have to worry with already.

Also since the CCU $0 shift hasn't yet been setup  you can go and stuff you mouth with $0 and stop whining :D  

It has been mentioned that it might be all CCU's, not just $0 ones.  We don't know 100% yet.

a6b9f8a4794e4249999662c28db9ccf9.jpeg

This will cost me $20-25 credit at most hopefully; the majority of my ships are locked down except 2-3 I was planning to CCU to when they're hangar ready.  Still lame.

ship pricing and $0 CCU are some what different. IE using a CCU  for a redeemer to a Vanguard Warden, both 250 (currently) will cost an extra $5 from future.

Tbh I think they are extremely high for why you get. even the 35 for a dragonfly.

First off they should fix ship's purposes and especially their stat pages... Issues like nerf batting will cause players too CCU - take the constellation for example when it was touted as a space superiority fighter; these days it can be very easily taken down since it flies like a whale.

Otherwise it's just not justifiable. Why should we foot the bill if CIG can't make up their minds on the purpose of ships? And if they happen to balance a ship later on, those CCUs should not be charged extra because the ship itself may not be the purpose that it was initially sold for.

It is only the $0 that gets +$5. The rest will get no change.

It is not a new thing. The first draft even a downgrade was accept and would cost you $5, but it removed that then and just accepted same price and about. 

You see it is the 350 price as quite a few ships are all the same price. However it is the Dragonflys that have zero change, but the skin black and yellow. I know it is up to you really unless you get a two pack, still you have the full price of two.

It just sounds worse than it is. Yeah sure, you probably will have $0 in the future. Just consider he said that they would probably be temporary.  So afaik there is no $5 across the board IE every ship, just the $0 ones.

Use these links from a Reddit thread to grab all the 0$ CCU's always available. Might help if you still want to upgrade later. 

The free CCU ship swap options are part of the value of upgrading, at least for me. The value to swap ships due to constant ship tweaks and (eventually) economy tweaks can make a difference on what ship I choose to start with when 4.0 hits. This nickel and diming will only cause me to spend much less as a considerable amount of the value and risk evasion of the CCU system is lost. 

Just to confirm, the $0 CCUs I have right now won't become more expensive, will they? I though this was just for future CCU purchases. If not, please let me know so I can start upgrading. 

It is for future CCUs. I don't know how they would charge you for unapplied CCUs.

Okay, I know how they would. I can't imagine they'd contemplate it. The PR backlash would be pretty intense.

4 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

It is for future CCUs. I don't know how they would charge you for unapplied CCUs.

Okay, I know how they would. I can't imagine they'd contemplate it. The PR backlash would be pretty intense.

Thank you. Like many others, I have several pages of unapplied $0 CCUs waiting for prices on new ships to increase. I would not want them to REALLY screw me over. Not to sat this isn't a disgusting cash grab though. 

12 hours ago, faquarl25 said:

Thank you. Like many others, I have several pages of unapplied $0 CCUs waiting for prices on new ships to increase. I would not want them to REALLY screw me over. Not to sat this isn't a disgusting cash grab though. 

So, let me see if I get this correct. (Rant incoming)

You're currently sitting on "pages" of $0 CCUs, and waiting for prices on new ships to increase...so you can have spent $0 and effectively use the $0 CCU as a coupon? And somehow them charging $5 for applying the CCU or charging a minimum $5 to buy a CCU is CIG screwing you over/a disgusting cash grab?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like what a lot of people are saying is, "I am currently sitting on $0 CCUs so I can game the system and get a "discount" on ships because the prices go up when they get put live." (a la using a Redeemer to Banu CCU to 'save' almost $100 that CIG would've gotten), OR "I want to use these as items to sell, undercutting the price differences that people would normally pay for CCUs." (like many GM are doing right now).

Sorry, but with so many people blatantly gaming the system in order to effectively "save money" by not pledging the value of the ships because they have a CCU workaround, that does nothing more than take funding away from the project. That and it definitely makes a lot of the people complaining about this sound like a bunch of greedy, entitled, and ungrateful people who'd rather complain that they have to pay $5 more to exploit a Consumer-friendly policy, than sit back and realize how ridiculous their complaints sound.

Edited by Chimaera
added minor clarification to keep context made earlier in the post