Aegis Eclispe

Riley Egret

2 hours ago, GeraldEvans said:

The Phoenix has a PDT and it's ~60m so there's no real reason it couldn't have one.  That would make for a real flaw / gameplay balance.  Low detectability, but low defense.

Yeah, with PDS I don't mean large flak-cannons or anything, just a pair of rapid firing laser guns which are smaller than regular guns (half the size of a bulldog repeater) and mainly used to try and shoot down incoming missiles. So basically nothing more than a pair of S0.5 guns with a tracker on a rotating platform. :)

I'm betting the one of the Phoenix will be very small as well and the whole unit would probably be less than 1m in diameter.

1 hour ago, LeroyJenkins said:

Please stop misusing the word "interdiction/interdictor" because that's not what the military terminology means. That's an interCEPTOR.

But I am equally excited for this ship.

I was using Interdictor in the context of the hyperspace interdiction cruiser from Star Wars, which is referred to as an Interdictor. If you ask most sci-fi fans, most will understand what an Interdictor ship is. They won't understand the official military jargon for "interdiction", which from my understanding is a form of raider that harasses enemy forces. That's such a specific and obscure role that I doubt CIG will design an "interdiction" ship for that role.

If the Eclipse does turn out to have Interdiction capabilities, I'm confident it will be my definition of an Interdictor: a ship that projects a "quantum travel inhibitor field" that can prevent ships from jumping away and pulls them out of QT." It's basically the same idea of the Avenger Warlock's EMP except for quantum travel.

Did someone say Stealth ship?

First the Origin 350R was rumoured to be used for black ops, then the Aegis Sabre was advertised as using stealth technology and now the Aegis Eclipse is about to turn up, only I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more ships. Damn you, shiny-ship-selling people!

Guess I'll have to update my 'How do I get the best value out of my Carrier Air Wing' spreadsheet.

4 hours ago, Reavern said:

I was using Interdictor in the context of the hyperspace interdiction cruiser from Star Wars, which is referred to as an Interdictor. If you ask most sci-fi fans, most will understand what an Interdictor ship is. They won't understand the official military jargon for "interdiction", which from my understanding is a form of raider that harasses enemy forces. That's such a specific and obscure role that I doubt CIG will design an "interdiction" ship for that role.

If the Eclipse does turn out to have Interdiction capabilities, I'm confident it will be my definition of an Interdictor: a ship that projects a "quantum travel inhibitor field" that can prevent ships from jumping away and pulls them out of QT." It's basically the same idea of the Avenger Warlock's EMP except for quantum travel.

I realize that Interdiction has had that flawed definition in sci-fi since the dawn of time. Just irksome. The military definition is (more or less) aggressive actions that don't necessarily directly engage the enemy, but make it more difficult for them to sustain a conflict on the front line. Stuff like air raids designed to interrupt supply lines and destroy infrastructure - which is actually something you see if you watch Red Tails (awesome movie).

And the Warlock isn't the same thing...an EMP is designed to disable a ship without destroying the hull. An interdiction sphere doesn't actually damage anything, and mechanically will likely be something like a gravity field that a ship's sensors will identify as a large enough object to warrant dropping the ship out of QT. The safety features built into QT make it so you don't slam into something at a third of the speed of light and obliterate an entire planet/station. If the Eclipse is that type of interceptor, it will likely have a device that abuses that safety feature.

Shhh,

Just got this in my inbox:

Project ECLIPSE Preview

5a8ee83c-f44c-4cf2-aa1f-ea254b057ed3.jpg

Greetings Citizen,

You have been selected to receive a special preview of an upcoming joint announcement from Aegis Dynamics and the United Empire of Earth. Please join us via the RSI Comm-Link for an early unveiling of newly-declassified military hardware that the military has been operating against threats to the Empire. Your preview is available here.

Eclipse-Patch-Sml.png

PLEASE NOTE: You are receiving this advanced notice because of your status as a loyal UEE Citizen. Until the official announcement, this information is classified ULTRA and should not be shared with non-Citizens.

Divak Azme
Lt. Colonel, UEEN
Public Affairs Attach

The link is to the $250 Warbond version, which includes LTI, VFG hangar, Takuetsu model, Poster, Logo poster, Unique time stamp & alternative skin.

Edited by Snakebyte

2 minutes ago, Snakebyte said:

Shhh,

Just got this in my inbox:

Project ECLIPSE Preview

5a8ee83c-f44c-4cf2-aa1f-ea254b057ed3.jpg

Greetings Citizen,

You have been selected to receive a special preview of an upcoming joint announcement from Aegis Dynamics and the United Empire of Earth. Please join us via the RSI Comm-Link for an early unveiling of newly-declassified military hardware that the military has been operating against threats to the Empire. Your preview is available here.

Eclipse-Patch-Sml.png

PLEASE NOTE: You are receiving this advanced notice because of your status as a loyal UEE Citizen. Until the official announcement, this information is classified ULTRA and should not be shared with non-Citizens.

Divak Azme
Lt. Colonel, UEEN
Public Affairs Attach

Hey that's Top Secret!

Meet the Eclipse

Armed with multiple torpedoes and state-of-the-art scan diffusing technology, the Aegis Eclipse has been the UEE’s best, and least known, protection. It is the Navy’s top choice in border defense and a preferred first-strike weapon against the Vanduul. Now, in an effort to increase transparency with the Xi’an, the Eclipse is declassified and available for purchase by Citizens.

Eclipse-Patch-Sml.png

PLEASE NOTE: The ‘First Wave’ War Bond SKU will be available exclusively during this 24-hour preview for Concierge members. The ship includes a unique serial stamp, an additional in-game poster featuring the Project Eclipse logo, an alternate ship skin and a Clearance Level Ultra forum badge. Ships sold after the preview, starting Friday May 19, will not include the forum badge. Additional data and technically specifications will be made available as part of the event. You are receiving this advanced notice because of your status as a loyal UEE Citizen. Until the official announcement, this information is classified ULTRA and should not be shared with non-Citizens.

The serial stamps for the Eclipse Warbond is already up to 201-300, which means that over 200 have been sold in approx. 12 minutes. That's $50,000!

CIG really knows how to push our buttons. ;) :P

PS:

YES, I bought an Eclipse... because I'm weak... and as the founder of Eclipse Squadron I didn't think I had a choice. ;)

Just now, Snakebyte said:

I need to work out which ship I can replace with an Eclipse. I have a habit of collecting anything 'sneaky', even if I don't want to fly it. Hello, Esperia Prowler. :-)

If you have one, it partially overlaps with the vanguard.

This is what I 'have'. None of the CCUs have been applied, as the ships are from the Carrier Air Pack, so can't be melted individually.

Lightspeed LTI Y 07-Jul-13
Digital Colonel LTI - Gift to Chris Y 27-Nov-16
Anvil F7C -> Constellation Taurus  CCU N/A 20-Dec-16
Constellation Taurus -> Aegis Sabre CCU N/A 27-Nov-16
Esperia Prowler Y 19-Nov-16
Aegis Gladius N/A 11-Oct-16
Aegis Gladius -> Constellation Aquila CCU N/A 09-Jan-17
Constellation Aquilla -> Anvil Orion CCU N/A 09-Jan-17
Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet N/A 11-Oct-16
MISC Freelancer MIS N/A 11-Oct-16
MISC Freelancer MIS -> Aegis Redeemer CCU N/A 16-Dec-16
Aegis Redeemer -> Banu Merchantman CCU N/A 24-Nov-16
Anvil Gladiator N/A 11-Oct-16
Anvil Gladiator -> Constellation Andromeda CCU N/A 16-Dec-16
Constellation Andromeda -> Caterpillar CCU N/A 18-Nov-16
Caterpillar -> Anvil Carrack  CCU N/A 22-Nov-16
Aegis Sabre N/A 11-Oct-16
Sabre -> Anvil Terrapin CCU N/A 12-Oct-16
Aegis Retaliator N/A 11-Oct-16
Aegis Retaliator -> Constellation Aquila CCU N/A 22-Nov-16
Constellation Aquilla -> Anvil Crucible CCU N/A 22-Nov-16
Anvil Crucible -> Aegis Reclaimer CCU N/A 25-Nov-16
Polaris N/A 19-Nov-16
P-72 Archimedes LTI Buyback Melted
P-72 Archimedes -> Drake Dragonfly Yellow CCU N/A 28-Sep-16

1 minute ago, Snakebyte said:

This is what I 'have':

Lightspeed LTI Y 07-Jul-13
Digital Colonel LTI - Gift to Chris Y 27-Nov-16
Anvil F7C -> Constellation Taurus  CCU N/A 20-Dec-16
Constellation Taurus -> Aegis Sabre CCU N/A 27-Nov-16
Esperia Prowler Y 19-Nov-16
Aegis Gladius N/A 11-Oct-16
Aegis Gladius -> Constellation Aquila CCU N/A 09-Jan-17
Constellation Aquilla -> Anvil Orion CCU N/A 09-Jan-17
Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet N/A 11-Oct-16
MISC Freelancer MIS N/A 11-Oct-16
MISC Freelancer MIS -> Aegis Redeemer CCU N/A 16-Dec-16
Aegis Redeemer -> Banu Merchantman CCU N/A 24-Nov-16
Anvil Gladiator N/A 11-Oct-16
Anvil Gladiator -> Constellation Andromeda CCU N/A 16-Dec-16
Constellation Andromeda -> Caterpillar CCU N/A 18-Nov-16
Caterpillar -> Anvil Carrack  CCU N/A 22-Nov-16
Aegis Sabre N/A 11-Oct-16
Sabre -> Anvil Terrapin CCU N/A 12-Oct-16
Polaris N/A 19-Nov-16
P-72 Archimedes LTI Buyback Melted
P-72 Archimedes -> Drake Dragonfly Yellow CCU N/A 28-Sep-16

It'd have been quicker to list what you didn't have :P

Rolewise, I'd rather CCU it with the Tali ( the Glad has a different role, I'd say it's more a "battle bomber") but really we'd need to know what size those torpedos are and if you think to use the Tali as something different than a bomber.

I'd wait for the stats.

8 minutes ago, Riley Egret said:

It'd have been quicker to list what you didn't have :P

Rolewise, I'd rather CCU it with the Tali ( the Glad has a different role, I'd say it's more a "battle bomber") but really we'd need to know what size those torpedos are and if you think to use the Tali as something different than a bomber.

I'd wait for the stats.

I should have explained, the colours are the same ship, just listing the CCUs i have ready.

So above is the Tali from the air pack and 3 CCUs to get it to a Reclaimer. I try to keep the CCUs to common ships so I can change the end ship easily; however, I ended up with more than 1 Aquilla to Crucible CCU to use as stepping stones to the bigger ships.

MS Excel, it's like a game in itself...

@Snakebyte It depends what you plan on doing with your Gladiator and Retaliator. If you plan on CCU-ing them, then you're not going to have any bombers, which would make the Eclipse stealth bomber unique.

I own a Gladiator, Retaliator, Harbinger, and now an Eclipse. I had planned to melt my Harbinger and use the store credit to buy the Eclipse, but then the Eclipse Warbond dropped and I couldn't help myself. I'm still going to melt my Harbinger for store credit and buy an extra Eclipse when it's released tomorrow. The Harbinger is scheduled to be flyable in Alpha 3.1. I'm a Subscriber so I should be able to test fly the Harbinger. Or I can just use RECs to rent it. If it turns out to be awesome, I can always buy back my Harbinger.

My point is that you can always melt ships for store credit, buy new ships, like the Eclipse, and choose which ship you want later. Although, you said that some of your ships were from the Carrier Air Wing bundle, so you can't melt individual ships from that. Instead, you could buy an Eclipse CCU tomorrow and decide what to do later.

Even though it's 275 dollars for a niche ship...

IT'S SO SMEXY LOOKING.

CIG should really stop giving so much value to military ships though... Sure, it's good that not everyone and their mother has a big gunship, but for about the same money you can get a Constellation or a Caterpillar. Throw in some more and you have a Starfarer. Is the Eclipse worth thát much...?

1 minute ago, Devil Khan said:

Still don't know what is on the inside.

Niche, anything military is niche really.

Connie is 225, caterpillar 295 :)

Well, it's a stealth torpedo ship, so it's a capship killer... How often are you going up against capital ships in the game, is what I wonder. And is it worth charging 275 dollars for, when a Retaliator serves more purposes, has bigger torpedoes (I presume) while only lacking the stealth for the same price.

While I can say that the Eclipse looks sexy as hell (like most ships CIG puts out), I'm really starting to dislike how the sales team is handling things...

30 minutes ago, Caldon said:

Well, it's a stealth torpedo ship, so it's a capship killer... How often are you going up against capital ships in the game, is what I wonder. And is it worth charging 275 dollars for, when a Retaliator serves more purposes, has bigger torpedoes (I presume) while only lacking the stealth for the same price.

While I can say that the Eclipse looks sexy as hell (like most ships CIG puts out), I'm really starting to dislike how the sales team is handling things...

I understand your point. The whole Serial Stamp thing is obviously a gimmick to entice backers to impulse buy the Eclipse Warbond rather than wait to buy the Eclipse tomorrow using store credits.

But... it totally worked on me! I admit it, I couldn't resist!

My justification is that, realistically, I was going to spend more money on Star Citizen anyway. So impulse buying the Eclipse Warbond is just doing it sooner rather than later. Tomorrow, when more details about the Eclipse are revealed, if it turns out the Eclipse is a lemon and/or ridiculously over-priced, I can always melt the Eclipse for store credits and use them to buy a different ship later. It's always useful to have a few hundred dollars in store credits to buy-melt-buy-repeat concept ships. :D