Nox + Nox Kue

VoA

3 hours ago, Pharesm said:

Nobody was talking about flying the NOX into a battlefield.  But ........ like a city etc.

Actually this is another IMPORTANT point about having a space bike.   Think not only about flying them around the terrain of a planet but crusing around a city.   I much go "styling" in the Nox Kue around a large city like Terra Prime instead of using its public transportation, a Grey Cat or walking B)

53 minutes ago, Pharesm said:

Voa coming in and smugly "nixing" rifles on the "nox" against CIG's own words didn't add clarity to what everybody is getting at.

I was "Nixing" the reason to carry a Rifle on a Nox..... there is really no point.... of needing one for the missions that you would use the Nox for (certainly not racing) (can't use it while flying - unlike the Dragonfly Passenger) (and most of the time if you do fight or even snipe - you'll want to fight on the bike not on foot - and if you are on foot a pistol is fine in most cases) (etc...).............. sure you can drum up a rare scenario......... but that's like someone flying their Aurora...... and wishing they were flying their Javelin instead on a mundane mission (doesn't make sense in this analogy either).

50 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

They didn't even say you can't carry a rifle. They said you can't store one. Thank you Porcupine for quoting the QA. Right now we sling them on our backs. So, 'you only have what you take with you' can very well include small rifles just like when we climb into the seat of an M50 now.

There are a lot of things in SC that are "possible"........ like it is "possible to solo a Javelin as a captain"........ but the real question is "should you".    I know a rifle isn't as extreme as this..... but the point is.... that its not worth the effort to try to argue the point.

16 hours ago, VoA said:

Actually this is another IMPORTANT point about having a space bike.   Think not only about flying them around the terrain of a planet but crusing around a city.   I much go "styling" in the Nox Kue around a large city like Terra Prime instead of using its public transportation, a Grey Cat or walking B)

I was "Nixing" the reason to carry a Rifle on a Nox..... there is really no point.... of needing one for the missions that you would use the Nox for (certainly not racing) (can't use it while flying - unlike the Dragonfly Passenger) (and most of the time if you do fight or even snipe - you'll want to fight on the bike not on foot - and if you are on foot a pistol is fine in most cases) (etc...).............. sure you can drum up a rare scenario......... but that's like someone flying their Aurora...... and wishing they were flying their Javelin instead on a mundane mission (doesn't make sense in this analogy either).

There are a lot of things in SC that are "possible"........ like it is "possible to solo a Javelin as a captain"........ but the real question is "should you".    I know a rifle isn't as extreme as this..... but the point is.... that its not worth the effort to try to argue the point.

Then why do you?

In the end I just can't see how this is justifiable over a similar or same cost Merlin, Archimedes, or 85X.  Or even an Argo.  I'd rather have any one of these than either of the space bikes, be it for cruising around town or exploring a planet, or (excepting the unarmed Argo) assaulting something.  Although I guess the Argo has a people transport version, so it could carry a ground assault force.

The community asked for it, so they gave it to them.  Space bikes.  In reality I don't think they make any sense at all though.

9 hours ago, Boildown said:

In the end I just can't see how this is justifiable over a similar or same cost Merlin, Archimedes, or 85X.  Or even an Argo.  I'd rather have any one of these than either of the space bikes, be it for cruising around town or exploring a planet, or (excepting the unarmed Argo) assaulting something.  Although I guess the Argo has a people transport version, so it could carry a ground assault force.

The community asked for it, so they gave it to them.  Space bikes.  In reality I don't think they make any sense at all though.

The primary purpose of the Nox and the Dragonfly is to get you from a to b on a planet/moon's surface. They have already said some places can not be reached by flying craft, be it because of atmospheric conditions or whatever. Also, some things might be easily overlooked when flying overhead; points of interest might be hidden in crevasses or caves.

so does a nox compete with ships in space? No, not really. Nox/Dragonflies might be able to go into areas a ship just can't go. I imagine the DF shining in dense debris fields

10 hours ago, Boildown said:

Ah, but thats the beauty of creating a dynamic universe. CIG can create pointless crap that has no practical value, because they know people will want it and they'll derive value from it of their own making. Nox and Dragonfly owners will find reasons to have fun as long as they're well designed and reasonably implemented. I suspect if they add mechs or gundams someday it will follow this same logic. A mech is just a tall, unstable tank that cannot hide, BUT, some people will always want them and believe that they were worth the expenditure.

If they add the Power Rangers Gen1 MegaZord to the game though, well, all bets are off then because it will be ridiculously OP and awesome.

12 hours ago, Boildown said:

I certainly agree that the cost can't be justified vs various ships and snubs that cost the same.

So you can skim over the land, reach a few places you can't fly over (which is kind of a contrived gimmick anyway)

But they make great LTI tokens for recent backers and are an alternative to rovers.  I may not be too interested in having one at the start of the game, but it does enrich the game.  It will certainly be fun to pick them off from above...

And CIG simply feels the need to alternate between low and high prices...

A Merlin should be able to skim above the ground just as well, and then actually fly around if you choose, much much faster, and it costs half as much.  And I'm pretty sure it has a small amount of personal cargo space for wazer wifles.  Unless contrived reasons for space bikes only, I suppose, as mentioned.

I do think its cool that CIG provides alternatives, some of which are highly... situational.  But if I'm going to spend RL money instead of buying in the live 'verse, I'm going to concentrate on that which I can anticipate will be the most useful.  The space bikes don't fit.

I think the practical applications of the speederbikes like the Dragonfly and NOX will be limited. But they are speederbikes, you know ... like in Star Wars!

So that's probably the main appeal and why people want them regardless of the relatively high sale price. Because it reminds them of Star Wars ;)

(same with how I have no practical use for a Reliant Tana and only have it because it kinda reminds me of a B-Wing) :P

a657e07ac5d5803a666cff9ae76437d3--star-w

3 hours ago, Boildown said:

A Merlin should be able to skim above the ground just as well, and then actually fly around if you choose, much much faster, and it costs half as much.  And I'm pretty sure it has a small amount of personal cargo space for wazer wifles.  Unless contrived reasons for space bikes only, I suppose, as mentioned.

I do think its cool that CIG provides alternatives, some of which are highly... situational.  But if I'm going to spend RL money instead of buying in the live 'verse, I'm going to concentrate on that which I can anticipate will be the most useful.  The space bikes don't fit.

Right, but a Merlin may have too much performance and still needs to be transported from place to place. Compared to the bikes, the Merlin's transportability is low and limited. Very few ships can carry it safely and without an expensive ship to transport it...its worthless. A combination of a cutlass and dragonfly is still cheaper than a merlin and connie.

Bikes fill a low-end ship performance gap, were highly desired by players, and brings in more revenue than CIG would be getting otherwise. They add a lot of variety and give players more options to complete tasks as they see fit.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:06 AM, Boildown said:

Sadly, the emphasis is probably on "should" here - as far as I understand, CIG has said ships can NOT skim over the ground.  You can fly really low, but you have a high chance of crashing into the ground if you try to go as low as a space bike... no automatic function, grav pillow or other handwavium for your ship to follow the undulations in the ground like a speeder...

Gotta provide reasons to by ALL the different toys, right?

You're not going to want a Merlin in stop and go suburban traffic, even if it has wheels instead of skids (I'm not sure).  But for cruising around a small moon like what would be included in 3.0, a Merlin will be far more useful than a space bike.  If you're worried about crashing into the ground, cruise at 5 meters instead of 2 meters.  I've flown NOE in games with far higher fidelity flight models, in a faster (~300 mph) WW2 fighter that can actually stall and crash if you go too slow and which handles like a brick, comparatively (unlike SC ships with infinite hover time) to stay below radar.  So yes, with a bit of piloting skill, SC ships can effectively skim over the ground barring contrived reasons made up by CIG.  Maybe you'll have to go a bit higher if you're a bad pilot but in exchange you get far more speed if you want it.

I may get a space bike in Star Citizen some day, but I'll buy it with in-game cash due to my current lack of appreciation of its role in the 'verse.

bikes don't equal ships on planets. If you check that wiki it says that 50-60 metres are the lowest. 200 feet. Nox can't go above 1 meter while on the planet. If a Nox stops it will stay hovering. A merlin won't as you have played many airsims you will know there is a minimum speed for staying up.

Merlin is different than a space bike. When in space they appear to have the same thing, but planetside they are different. Basically a bike and plane. Gravity, bike doesn't worry as it has anti-grav(bad term I know). The Merlin has to worry to go fast enough to get above the pulling force.

Anyway. You will never see a race between m50,350R etc for the reason that they don't fly in the same space while inside the planet. Also out run it.

15 hours ago, VoA said:

Why have a Nox over a Merlin. .... well..... the Merlin doesn’t quality for open cockpit racing and it also doesn't fit in all the ships that a space bike does...... ;)

If one cares about "open cockpit racing" specifically, that would certainly justify owning the extra toy.

While I personally don't give a rats ass, I won't dispute that for those who care, the Nox becomes a mandatory expenditure - at least until CIG changes their mind about the whole scheme.  After endless turn-abouts, I won't get too excited until release.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think there are a number of shots of the Terrapin cockpit and interior in that batch of images too!

Sorry, I didn't take a count to how far down you'd have to go, but I think you'll look at all the pictures anyway :)

80vaMtV.jpg

tU9uICb.jpg

8cWecuZ.jpg

Slightly crude looking, but I think it might just be that lighting is unfinished...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very Much looking forward to these being flyable, i got a few mostly as LTI tokens but i also plan on using them as an easy use for carrying a small exploration ship on some of my bigger ships as well as for shear racing. Plus they just look so cool xD

21 hours ago, Glitch2210 said:

Very Much looking forward to these being flyable  ...  xD

No kidding!

Imagining Ewoks rocking out in the trees while I'm chasing at insane speeds through some densely forested canyon...