Sabre Raven

VoA

1 hour ago, pyro nl said:

can always get1 ingame

its a beatiful ship

The point that you can get one in game makes me wonder why anyone can be upset at CIG for clever marketing that will add more $ into CIG's coffers via corperate sponsership rather than solely relying on player pledges === Sorry @Fizzlefuse - I can see why you "want to be" upset..... but think about it and I think you'll understand why they did it and the value it has for the game (for all the players) long term. :)

23 minutes ago, VoA said:

The point that you can get one in game makes me wonder why anyone can be upset at CIG for clever marketing that will add more $ into CIG's coffers via corperate sponsership rather than solely relying on player pledges === Sorry @Fizzlefuse - I can see why you "want to be" upset..... but think about it and I think you'll understand why they did it and the value it has for the game (for all the players) long term. :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I fully understand why they did this and from a business perspective it makes total sense. And the deal with intel will help the development of the game in the long run which is a really good thing.

I just don't like the fact that the only way to get the fastest dogfighter which is also a stealth datarunner with interdiction EMP weapons, is through a exclusive deal (right now). The point that you can get it in game has not been confirmed.

I'm not saying it won't be but CIG could, in theory, spin the "all ships will be available in game" to only apply to ships sold in the store and as concepts... that anything sold exclusively with some kind of deal like AMD or Intel will stay that way to keep the ship being rare.
Now, doing that would piss off a LOT of people so I don't think they will.. but we don't know.

Also, you might have to find someone willing to sell it.. maybe it won't be available from Astro Armada. Good luck finding anyone who wants to sell their super rare ship for any kind of sensible amount of credits.

The Sabre Raven could very well become like the WoW Spectral Tiger... Something you'll rarely see someone fly around in and sometimes pops up somewhere with a 20 billion credit pricetag.

3 hours ago, Fizzlefuse said:

The point that you can get it in game has not been confirmed.

Yes it has - ever since the beginning of the pledge campaign and in every concept sale - it says you can get every ship in game (this is repeated by CR , Ben and other CIG devs all the time).

The ONLY exceptions to this (as far as we know) are various Alien ships (unless it is sold specifically to the human market like Esperia and Aopoa ships), larger capital ships (larger than the Javelin), Military Ships like the F8 Lighting, large company ships like from Shubin, etc...

This means automatically that you can get the Sabre Raven in game.......

....however....

It may be difficult and rare to get ahold of in-game - but this shouldn't make you upset either - just give you a solid goal to play towards in the game.  Remember this is "no winning" in SC........ so setting goals like this is what the game is all about :)

4 hours ago, VoA said:

Yes it has - ever since the beginning of the pledge campaign and in every concept sale - it says you can get every ship in game (this is repeated by CR , Ben and other CIG devs all the time).

The ONLY exceptions to this (as far as we know) are various Alien ships (unless it is sold specifically to the human market like Esperia and Aopoa ships), larger capital ships (larger than the Javelin), Military Ships like the F8 Lighting, large company ships like from Shubin, etc...

This means automatically that you can get the Sabre Raven in game.......

....however....

It may be difficult and rare to get ahold of in-game - but this shouldn't make you upset either - just give you a solid goal to play towards in the game.  Remember this is "no winning" in SC........ so setting goals like this is what the game is all about :)

It does make sense for it to become available ingame at a later date and a difficult to obtain ship wouldn’t make me upset, I’d rather have it be difficult then easy.

It’s just that when people throw the word “exclusive” around it just seems to go against the very idea of all ships being available in game. Don’t worry, I’m not joining the haters who claim the game is now or ever will be pay to win, I understand there is such a thing as skill and I still very much believe in the project, in Chris Robers and all the freekin’ wizards at CIG, but I do sort of get where people are coming from when you see stuff like this.

While it pains me, that I might not have an example of the every combat ship. I will pass on the Raven. The reduction of fire power at the time when other ships (Buccaneer, Super Hornet, Cutlass maybe gladius are getting large upgrades) makes it less desirable, and I am doubtful how fun stealth gameplay will be, or how effective it is.  I also suspect that the stock raven will have varying degrees of stealth depending on the grade of components you use. Some of these might even be better than the raven (which I suspect will be less flexible and less aftermarket parts available due to the radical change in geometry...and tiny owner base).

52 minutes ago, Scotterius said:

While it pains me, that I might not have an example of the every combat ship. I will pass on the Raven. The reduction of fire power at the time when other ships...

The Sabre Raven is NOT intended to be a stealth combat ship in the traditional sense (not like the Original Sabre or Hornet Ghost) - so comparing it to other combat ships make no sense.

Trust me - when you see a Sabre Raven or Avenger Warlock use their EMP to temporarily cripple a larger ship then the other smaller ships take it apart (vs the other smaller ships taking forever to take the larger ships shields down) - then you'll want an EMP ship.   For now I am sticking with a Warlock but will probably work towards a Raven in the game.   Remember EMP's don't just knock out shields either but many other systems as well.

It is speculation right now but people are theory-crafting that EMPs are also used to interdict and take other ships out of Quantum travel.... = if so then there is another big reason to have an EMP ship.

17 minutes ago, VoA said:

Trust me - when you see a Sabre Raven or Avenger Warlock use their EMP to temporarily cripple a larger ship then the other smaller ships take it apart (vs the other smaller ships taking forever to take the larger ships shields down) - then you'll want an EMP ship.   For now I am sticking with a Warlock but will probably work towards a Raven in the game.   Remember EMP's don't just knock out shields either but many other systems as well.

I dont think the raven is available in game. But sure, I agree with you....'When I can justify a pilot being in a less armed EMP ship, vs a fully capable fighter...I will change my tune.'  I simply have problems justifying it today. I mean if the EMP has a 3 second charge up time, a new super hornet could have thrown out the dps (with its guns alone) of a size nine torp before the EMP goes off.  I am just skeptical, that focus role ships will be worth it. I am skeptical about bombers too. Fighters...are just so strong.

Its not just Star Citizen, it is seen in StarLancer, The wing commander series, and freelancer.  It might just be due to fighters having unlimited laser ammo, but it might because those games lacked multiple combat tactical devices (things like the EMP).  

2 hours ago, Scotterius said:

I dont think the raven is available in game. But sure, I agree with you....'When I can justify a pilot being in a less armed EMP ship, vs a fully capable fighter...I will change my tune.'  I simply have problems justifying it today. I mean if the EMP has a 3 second charge up time, a new super hornet could have thrown out the dps (with its guns alone) of a size nine torp before the EMP goes off.  I am just skeptical, that focus role ships will be worth it. I am skeptical about bombers too. Fighters...are just so strong.

Its not just Star Citizen, it is seen in StarLancer, The wing commander series, and freelancer.  It might just be due to fighters having unlimited laser ammo, but it might because those games lacked multiple combat tactical devices (things like the EMP).  

Sorry but I think you have the wrong perception of fighters and Bombers and ships that employ EMP or even ECM (like the Sentinel).....

The only ship that I am aware of that is intended to compete somewhat in the fighter arena is the Gladiator (a light bomber) and even this isn't designed to go 1v1 vs fighters but really mid size ships like the Connie (though I've taken down plenty of fighters in Arena Commander with the Gladiator).

While its good (and valid) to use CR's past games as examples - it is more relevant to listen to the Devs (like CR, Erin, Ben, and others) talk about these ships specifically as they relate to SC.   Bombers, EMP ships and ECM ships are really intended to go after larger ships (mainly capital class ships or large industrial ships).   While fighters will likely still be useful vs large industrial ships they will likely be flys or nats vs captial ships (not really having the ability to do much damage to capital class shields / armor).   Fighters (like on an Idris) will be useful though for taking out enemy bombers, EMP, ECM ships.

----------

Let me ask you this - do you have an Eclipse? --- If so you'll probably realize that is almost just as specialized (and really only geared towards taking out larger ships) - as the Sabre Raven.

--------

If you think you'll only get into or compete in fighter combats then I think your stance is valid - otherwise I think you'll have to rely on others to bring their Bombers, EMP, ECM ships to do the job for you.   Fighters won't be as "strong" as you think they were in other games (at least this is what the devs from CIG have been leading us to believe in SC - there is a real place and need for Bombers, ECM and EMP ships in SC)

44 minutes ago, VoA said:

Sorry but I think you have the wrong perception of fighters and Bombers and ships that employ EMP or even ECM (like the Sentinel).....

The only ship that I am aware of that is intended to compete somewhat in the fighter arena is the Gladiator (a light bomber) and even this isn't designed to go 1v1 vs fighters but really mid size ships like the Connie (though I've taken down plenty of fighters in Arena Commander with the Gladiator).

While its good (and valid) to use CR's past games as examples - it is more relevant to listen to the Devs (like CR, Erin, Ben, and others) talk about these ships specifically as they relate to SC.   Bombers, EMP ships and ECM ships are really intended to go after larger ships (mainly capital class ships or large industrial ships).   While fighters will likely still be useful vs large industrial ships they will likely be flys or nats vs captial ships (not really having the ability to do much damage to capital class shields / armor).   Fighters (like on an Idris) will be useful though for taking out enemy bombers, EMP, ECM ships.

----------

Let me ask you this - do you have an Eclipse? --- If so you'll probably realize that is almost just as specialized (and really only geared towards taking out larger ships) - as the Sabre Raven.

--------

If you think you'll only get into or compete in fighter combats then I think your stance is valid - otherwise I think you'll have to rely on others to bring their Bombers, EMP, ECM ships to do the job for you.   Fighters won't be as "strong" as you think they were in other games (at least this is what the devs from CIG have been leading us to believe in SC - there is a real place and need for Bombers, ECM and EMP ships in SC)

It's perfectly capable in a fighter arena though. Just not on it's own. The Raven is really a pure support ship, if you have two normal Sabres backing you up, a well placed EMP could turn a dogfight into a massacre...

1 hour ago, Caldon said:

It's perfectly capable in a fighter arena though. Just not on it's own. The Raven is really a pure support ship, if you have two normal Sabres backing you up, a well placed EMP could turn a dogfight into a massacre...

Agreed -good point - an EMP is just as useful in a dogfight (and you are right it is primarily a support ship) - as oppose to comparing to a heavy bomber with larger torpedoes maybe too easy for a smaller opponent to avoid (a stealth ship then EMP will be hard to avoid).

I wonder if it will be easier to get a fighter (small ship) back on line after an EMP pulse vs a larger ship......?

I think it will actually be harder and that the small ship wouldn't have as much back-up systems or a dedicated Player or NPC working to restore or even prevent the EMP effects.

5 hours ago, VoA said:

that EMPs are also used to interdict and take other ships out of Quantum travel.

The timing needed for that to happen, as well as knowledge of the physics of EMP functions, should tell you one thing about EMPs, and that EMPs CANNOT interdict ships out of QT. (unless CIG says it can, then it does, eh) Frankly, interdiction means producing an artificial anomaly representing an obstacle or a gravity well - whether one produced by a planetary body, asteroid, Black hole, etc in the path of a vessel which would to cause a ships systems to drop it out of QT to avoid destruction. EMP physics isn't like that. You use an EMP to disrupt electrical systems like power grids/networks, communications networks, etc in order to incapacitate. Detonating a large nuke (which creates an EMP) at a point on a primary traderoute serves as a long term (hours) electrical suppression field and would accomplish interdiction

While I love the design of the Sabres (base and Raven), I will also pass on this and resort to using a Warlock if I have to.  From a T&I point of view, there are plenty of (cheaper) scout and advance ships out there to choose from that cover many different convoy configurations.

At best, I think that this will be one of the first "trophy" ships in the game... very rare, very expensive and excel in their role but take a while to replace with insurance due to rarity... unless it is sold in the game, otherwise this would be a great stealth ship/scout that uses an EMP blast as a getaway plan if detected (in contrast to tanking with the Terrapin, brawling with the Hornet Tracker etc).

I don't want to hijack the thread, but just a curiosity...  for anti-EMP strategies, I know that attempting to outrun a Raven/Warlock with a multicrew ship is improbable at best, and not everyone will have the DPS output to disable the enemy ship in time... so imo most feasible one is to have situational awareness to the point that if an EMP sig is detected, a competent captain would immediately order the engineer to turn off vital systems immediately so they won't be affected.  Are there any other strategies like EMP shielding?

4 minutes ago, Tom Villder said:

While I love the design of the Sabres (base and Raven), I will also pass on this and resort to using a Warlock if I have to.  From a T&I point of view, there are plenty of (cheaper) scout and advance ships out there to choose from that cover many different convoy configurations.

At best, I think that this will be one of the first "trophy" ships in the game... very rare, very expensive and excel in their role but take a while to replace with insurance due to rarity... unless it is sold in the game, otherwise this would be a great stealth ship/scout that uses an EMP blast as a getaway plan if detected (in contrast to tanking with the Terrapin, brawling with the Hornet Tracker etc).

I don't want to hijack the thread, but just a curiosity...  for anti-EMP strategies, I know that attempting to outrun a Raven/Warlock with a multicrew ship is improbable at best, and not everyone will have the DPS output to disable the enemy ship in time... so imo most feasible one is to have situational awareness to the point that if an EMP sig is detected, a competent captain would immediately order the engineer to turn off vital systems immediately so they won't be affected.  Are there any other strategies like EMP shielding?

In reality, the best thing you could do is turn off all computers and hope the EMP doesn't fry anything sensitive, then reboot. If you have EMP shielding, you should not need to do that, in theory. But we'll see how it goes ingame.

Reading the terms of service of the raven promotion i just noticed some massive potential issues people should be made aware of. The ship is non transferable and non gift able, so the only way to buy it if you don't get the ssd will be to buy the unredeemed code.

HOWEVER, this is a massive risk! the ship is only valid as long as the ssd is not returned. so this opens up the possibility of scammers selling codes and then returning the ssd after the transaction has been made. this will delete the raven out of your account leaving you out anything you paid for it. it might be possible to charge back your card or something similar but the possibility of people trying to pull this scam is pretty high so i thought i should point it out since i haven't seen any talk about it yet.

be careful out there guys, stay alert!

I am curious to see what kind of countermeasures we’ll get to EMP weapons. Larger ships are generally not fast or agile enough to shake off a Warlock or Raven and it wouldn’t make sense if a EMP blast is effective every time. A form of shielding would make sense, though if it’s 100% proof everyone will have one equipped. Pethaps there’s a choice to ne made. Perhaps a anti-EMP module would only be capable of fully shielding one component, or partially shield multiple ones... meaning the more systems you shield the higher the chance it would break through.

40 minutes ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I am curious to see what kind of countermeasures we’ll get to EMP weapons. Larger ships are generally not fast or agile enough to shake off a Warlock or Raven and it wouldn’t make sense if a EMP blast is effective every time.

I was thinking the opposite - that larger ships can have options to shut down systems or re-route systems with players / NPCs set up to do so while small ships wouldn't.

For instance an EMP blast would likely completely shut down all small ships in its area but a large ship would only partially be affected (even though the larger ships do have less of a chance to move out of the way)

I don't know what it says about me that the two month insurance is what makes this a deal breaker for me. The new SSDs are sweet. The Raven is sweet and looks fun. If it came with LTI I'd pick up one of the new SSDs to use as a working drive for 4k video editing and upgrade my fleet at the same time.

But two months for a super exclusive, expensive to get ship? That sucks.

I was thinking the opposite - that larger ships can have options to shut down systems or re-route systems with players / NPCs set up to do so while small ships wouldn't.
For instance an EMP blast would likely completely shut down all small ships in its area but a large ship would only partially be affected (even though the larger ships do have less of a chance to move out of the way)
I could have sworn I'd read or seen somewhere a dev saying that a single EMP couldn't take out a large ship. Probably the Warlock Q/A.

Sentinel for the win.  Why get up close to EMP a target when you can shoot EMP missiles from range instead?  :-)

I agree on the Warlock.  I own one and don't anticipate it taking out capital ships.  That would be the definition of over powered.

I'm not keen on the Raven sales model.  I don't need a hard drive.  But since it doesn't have LTI and can be bought in game, there's no need to collect it now.

Cool looking ship though.

Just to update my EMP question, CIG Callix posted some info on the EMP aka Distortion pulses and how to defend yourself from one:

If you think there is a risk of a Distortion Pulse, you should keep your distance and consider managing your power to mitigate those risks. For example, if you have two power plants, you could turn one of them off to ensure it is perfectly immune to the Pulse damage, and then after the detonation disables the active power plant you could turn the other one back on to resume normal operation (at half the power availability you'd have with both power plants active, of course). Additionally, power distribution aids in distortion decay (the rate at which a component recovers from distortion damage), so setting the distribution priority can help get specific systems back online sooner.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/how-will-we-be-able-to-counter-emps/629912