Sabre Raven

VoA

1 hour ago, Devil Khan said:

I think the Sabre Raven is just the same as the Comet

Could be just another skin (but it wouldn't be on the schedule still if it was completed as "the Comet")......... I am hoping that it is a Sabre Body but a true variant (like the Connie variants)  - with some slight hull changes - like we see in the image in OP.

24 minutes ago, VoA said:

Could be just another skin (but it wouldn't be on the schedule still if it was completed as "the Comet")......... I am hoping that it is a Sabre Body but a true variant (like the Connie variants)  - with some slight hull changes - like we see in the image in OP.

I hope the Sabre Raven is a true variant with a modified hull, instead of another re-skin, like the Sabre Comet.

Since the Raven is supposedly a Wave 6 ship, which are "Dedicated Civilian Ships", my guess is it's a exploration/surveillance variant model of the Sabre, akin to the Origin 315p. I can't imagine what else it could be, because the Sabre is a single-seater starfighter-size ship with no cargo hold, so it's civilian roles are limited. Even as an exploration ship it would be limited, because the Sabre is a short-range ship and has no bed. Unless the Raven has a modified hull with a small cargo hold, useful for cargo hauling and light salvaging.

It's possible the Sabre Raven could be less expensive than the Sabre starfighter, similar to the Avenger Titan or Constellation Taurus. The appeal of the Raven could be it "looks cool" and retains some of the Sabre's flight and combat performance, so it isn't as easy of a target as an Avenger Titan, Reliant Kore, or 315p.

I'm thinking that the Raven, and possibly the other Wave 6 ships, could be CIG's attempt to increase the available ship options for existing roles, rather than create new ships for new roles. Case in point, the MISC Razor, which is a dedicated racer, like the M50. The Buccaneer is considered a "Pirate" starfighter that rivals the F7C Hornet and Sabre. Neither ship fulfills new roles, they just provide more ship options for existing roles.

If I'm correct, I expected this to happen and it's necessary for fleshing out the in-game universe as well as broaden Star Citizen's appeal by ensuring there are a diverse assortment of ships that appeal to as many potential game buyers as possible.

50 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

One point, look again at the pic. Notice the start-end dates The Sabre Raven has none. None is needed for this, every other ship has one except the Sabre raven, which would make sense that it would be just a skin and weapon job. I can't say anything 100% though.

Good point.

One point, look again at the pic. Notice the start-end dates The Sabre Raven has none. None is needed for this, every other ship has one except the Sabre raven, which would make sense that it would be just a skin and weapon job. I can't say anything 100% though.

Finally something i can agree with you on!!! Lol...@Reavern, i could be wrong but im sure Ben mentioned that the 3 ships soon to be concepted, were the last of wave 5 and all combat orientated. Reference to wave 6 " civilian ship" will start later this year.

Therefore i believe the raven wont be an exploration ship... More likely a skin or super-hornet style ship.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Considering that most of the dates on the ship spreadsheet have already come and gone, and the Sabre Raven is the last ship on the list and has no dates, I think it's more likely that it hasn't been scheduled yet. It's only on the list because they know it's next. Even if the Sabre Raven was a simple re-skin, I think it would've been scheduled and had production work done on it. So I disagree that the Raven not having schedule dates means it's already done and it's a re-skin.

SZafV0M.png

This pic certainly looks like a Sabre with a modified hull, which would definitely require production time. It's highly probable that this is the Raven.

Whether the Raven is a combat ship or a civilian ship, we can only speculate. It seems to still have 4 weapon hardpoints, but the engine intakes are different than the distinctive Vanguard glowing circle intakes that has become Aegis' characteristic feature. It also seems like the modified Sabre's tail has a single engine. That could mean it's a stripped down civilian model...

Or, more likely, the Sabre Raven is a dedicated stealth model. That's probably why the wings have been modified, the vertical stabilizer fins are gone, the engine intakes are narrower, and the tail is smaller (possibly for a single low-sig engine). That all indicates stealth to me. The only thing I'm surprised by is that the supposed Raven is equipped with the same Badger and Panther laser repeaters as the base Sabre. The Hornet Ghost had smaller Bulldog repeaters than the other Civilian Hornet models, and ballistic weapons produce the lowest energy signature. Also, it would've been cool if the Raven's weapons could retract into the hull for a more streamlined sensor silhouette.

The Sabre was originally described as a stealth fighter -- or, at least, a "stealthy" fighter. I think that was nerfed in Arena Commander because it would've been too dominant and totally eclipsed the Hornet Ghost. I suspect that CIG needs a true stealth fighter for stealth missions in Squadron 42, so they've created the Sabre Raven. Consequently, it's possible that the Raven will be a military-only starfighter, like the F7A Military Hornet and F8 Lightning, and it won't have a concept sale.

• 4 months later...

I can't imagine the sabre raven being a skin but i could be wrong variant wise I don't see it being a bomber, I could see an improved stealth version or Electronic warfare variant. When it comes to stealth though its difficult to say as the game mechanics are really there yet to show its potential as a already stealth fighter,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GRIZZ said:

This photo was made by sizing the Ravens cockpit to the sabers cockpit and overlaying them.

Man, that makes the ship look like it is more about stealth than speed and maneuverability...at least to me.  

3 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

This photo was made by sizing the Ravens cockpit to the sabers cockpit and overlaying them.

8WuYvmv.jpg

Wow, that really looks like it could be a next-gen Aegis Light Fighter or Scout compared to the Sabre. The Sabre was always stated to be a (light) Medium fighter if memory serves so it would be pretty neat to have a next-gen replacement for the Gladius or something. :)

On second glance, that overlay does not look correct. The weapon mounts do not line up. The engines dont line up either.  Look how close they both the engine and the weapon cut outs resemble themselves on both models in the released images. The sabre may be much bigger than that picture.

I am glad that they are making it a variant - I think it adds more richness to the game (having both Variants and Modular Ships).

The Shipyard just posted the definitions for this as well...

Variants and Modules