VoA

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) Movie

It can have strong female characters without being a Disney 'princess' movie.

I think it's just bad (not compelling) writing. Kylo is moody and charismatic instead of being the least bit awe inspiring. Actually giving his character some fortitude would go a long way towards balancing the strength in Rey.

53 minutes ago, GeraldEvans said:

It can have strong female characters without being a Disney 'princess' movie.

I think it's just bad (not compelling) writing. Kylo is moody and charismatic instead of being the least bit awe inspiring. Actually giving his character some fortitude would go a long way towards balancing the strength in Rey.

Not just Kylo. I had a hard time taking any of the characters seriously save Snoke. He was such a waste. But I guess that is what you get when you allow a single director unlimited freedom with the world's biggest franchise.

I hope JJ at least realizes that the characters right now are a mess and need a rewrite. 

It comes down to this for me: Episodes 1, 2, and 3 feel like they are Star Wars movies, just with shit acting.  Mainly Anakin (both of them), but mostly uninspired performances surrounding him too.  But at least they are clearly Star Wars movies.  They get some actors from Hunger Games and Harry Potter movies, and do a re-do, and you have yourselves three really good Star Wars movies.

Episodes 7 and 8 on the other hand don't feel like Star Wars.  They have droids and space ships, but they belong to some high-budget yet B-movie series that I've never heard of.  And they ripped off names and places from the original Star Wars, like that unauthorized World of Warcraft park in China, and that kind of pisses me off.  I go see it anyways because I like Star Wars, but I can tell that everything is more than just a bit, "off".