VoA

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) Movie

New Trailer Just release (looks impressive) + from IMBD

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Having taken her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Rey continues her epic journey with Finn, Poe and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the saga.

Director:

Rian Johnson

Writers:

Rian Johnson (screenplay), George Lucas (characters)

Stars:

Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill | See full cast & crew »

I hope they don't just limit Mark Hamill to a few lines. They have to give him enough screentime before doing whatever to him like they probably will. Also movie has to be longer first movie was too short creating some pacing issues and plot holes (starkiller base for examples).

Don't cut the movie to easily please some focus group tested short attention span young american audience. All the epics of movie history give time for buildup and characters and that's equally so with recent stuff (Dark Knight, Thrones). You need to go there too.

Last franchise film was a good move in the right direction so don't f*ck this up Disney like George Luckass.

Just wanted to drop by and say how deeply disappointed I am about that movie. Currently I am not even sure if I will watch part 9 and that comes from someone who owns and read most of the books of the extended universe.

Disney really ruined the franchise for me. :(

44 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Just wanted to drop by and say how deeply disappointed I am about that movie. Currently I am not even sure if I will watch part 9 and that comes from someone who owns and read most of the books of the extended universe.

Disney really ruined the franchise for me. :(

For me, the graphics, music, acting - it was all pretty good. My issues - the ones that ruined the movie for me - are purely plot and politics related. Mostly plot. For those, just go to any Last Jedi review that isn't featured on the  Huffington Post.

Oh yeah, funny rumour I heard, pls confirm :

Spoiler

I heard that Admiral Holdo (aka Token Feminist) was written in mostly so that the writers could avoid a character named "Ackbar" from suicide bombing the Supremacy.

18 minutes ago, CyberianK said:

It was Jedi: The last Star Wars

There is no Star Wars after it its over.

True! I can't understand the imdb score. Is Disney really rich enough to buy so many reviews or is there anyone who really liked the movie?

6 hours ago, Maverick said:

True! I can't understand the imdb score. Is Disney really rich enough to buy so many reviews or is there anyone who really liked the movie?

IMDB score often takes a while to adjust but yes I can't understand it either its usually a pretty good indicator.

They eliminate outliers and use weighted averages due to scoring of users. So probably a hefty amount of very low ratings got filtered out by the algorithm and others weighted less while higher ratings peoples who liked the visuals and did not care for the lack of authenticity might have weighted more.

Disney did not make the movie for the Star Wars fans, Disney made the movie for a new (meaning under 10) generation of consumers. Rey is the next Disney Princess. Just like this one who is the new Disney Queen since Disney bought 20th Century Fox

https://carboncostume.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/frankfurter.jpg

Lucas waited too long to do the next three installments after Ep VI. The early thought was to do 7, 8, 9 then begin the Ep 1, 2 ,3 story with the decline of the Republic then the genesis of Darth Vader and why Obi wan went into exile and why Tatooine (why desert planets regardless)

On 12/31/2017 at 3:57 PM, Gremlich said:

Lucas waited too long to do the next three installments after Ep VI. The early thought was to do 7, 8, 9 then begin the Ep 1, 2 ,3 story with the decline of the Republic then the genesis of Darth Vader and why Obi wan went into exile and why Tatooine (why desert planets regardless)

That would have been the far better way to do it.  The legacy actors are now too old for action roles.  Except Mark Hamill could still pull it off probably, but they chose not to for inexplicable reasons.  And where the hell is Lando?

Lando (Billy Dee) is 80 that said he is probably in better shape than Carrie Fisher and maybe even Harrison Ford who also wasn't really motivated to do SW again would have been great to see Lando. Mark Hamill still has a huge onscreen presence though and I guess he would have pulled off anything required. No need to let him do insane stunts anyway. Also I like all the younger actors its just their roles which are horribly written.

All in all it seems the peoples to blame are Katleen Kennedy (Lucasfilm president), Rian Johnson (director and writer), and in general Disney and Hollywood.

2 hours ago, CyberianK said:

Also I like all the younger actors its just their roles which are horribly written.

I have to say that I didn't really like the "First Order" side of young characters.

I mean I can understand why Kylo Ren has to be young and naive, but I can't take Hux. The highest military leader imo shouldn't be some babyface that cries for his superior at the first occasion (end of VII). Compare him to Tarkin, or even worse Thrawn.

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I have to say that I didn't really like the "First Order" side of young characters.

I mean I can understand why Kylo Ren has to be young and naive, but I can't take Hux. The highest military leader imo shouldn't be some babyface that cries for his superior at the first occasion (end of VII). Compare him to Tarkin, or even worse Thrawn.

Hux went from being the intimidating and slightly fanatical leader of the First Order to being a mentally unstable, comic relief punchbag.

Spoiler

Also, is it me, or is the New Republic completely incompetent? SW7 is set 30 years from RotJ. According to the lore, the Empire's remnants retreated into unknown space after the destruction of the 2nd Death Star and the death of the Emperor. Indeed, at the end, we saw the whole galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire - even Coruscant, the Empire's capital.

This means that, for 30 years, the all-women-lead (SJW) New Republic had control of the galaxy, immense resources, and full support of the population. And yet, for some reason, they didn't think to build up a strong military because "hey, the Empire is gone, let's just hope that the huge remainder of their forces aren't gathering to bite us in the ass!" And then the First Order came in and bit them in the ass.

HOW?! How did the Republic allow this, is what I'm asking? The New Republic is shown to have achieved jack in those 30 years, while the First Order built up their fleets, amassed their armies, finished Starkiller Base and constructed the Supremacy, all without the New Republic taking notice and saying "hey guys, the Empire is up to shenanigans. Let's build ships and armies in case they try something."

The one good thing, the only good thing that came out of this is that this backfired nicely on the SJW message the movie tried to push. The evil white men managed to somehow swiftly and decisively defeat the strong independant wamenz of the New Republic because of their gross incompetence.

5 hours ago, Maverick said:

I agree but the performance style is imho certainly dictated by the script and director.

Its also one of the worst fails of the new trilogy. While the original trilogy had lots of comedic relief like whenever R2D2/C3PO come on screen or Stormtroopers fail at catching rebels or you see wacky aliens the main villains of the Empire can keep their serious and dark tones. You would not nominate Tarkin, Vader or the Emperor for "Best Comedy".
Which is part of the overall success of it that the classic heroes journey works that well in the movies even though the movies themselves have quite a few weaknesses they are more than made up for by their strengths.

In Last Jedi:

Snoke is a joke
Hux is a joke
The whole First Order and their appearance/strength is a joke
The "Rebels" are a joke (in how they are organized/led and their support and how they go from ruling the galaxy to 20 peoples in a month)
The Jedi are a joke (best shown by Luke throwing away the lightsaber)
The Hero (Rey) is a joke as she does not have to work for anything and they toy with her origin story
The inner logic and authenticity of the Sci-Fi universe is a joke (too many examples to count)

There are already quite a few good YT channels who manage to show an overwhelming chain of indication suggesting the whole intent of the movie in its nihilistic approach was to completely destroy the rotting carcass of the original Trilogy and quite successful at that. The only thing that's not sure for me is the reason why they did it

a-) politically motivated
b-) franchise motivated (kill it so in the future franchise the moviegoer takes everything stuffed down the throat)
c-) incompetence and unintentional (Hanlons Razor) and a mirror of the creators pathetic world view

or probably a mix of the three.

Anyway my disgust of Hollywood is complete at this point.

2 hours ago, CyberianK said:

In Last Jedi:

Snoke is a joke
Hux is a joke
The whole First Order and their appearance/strength is a joke
The "Rebels" are a joke (in how they are organized/led and their support and how they go from ruling the galaxy to 20 peoples in a month)
The Jedi are a joke (best shown by Luke throwing away the lightsaber)
The Hero (Rey) is a joke as she does not have to work for anything and they toy with her origin story
The inner logic and authenticity of the Sci-Fi universe is a joke (too many examples to count)

There are already quite a few good YT channels who manage to show an overwhelming chain of indication suggesting the whole intent of the movie in its nihilistic approach was to completely destroy the rotting carcass of the original Trilogy and quite successful at that. The only thing that's not sure for me is the reason why they did it

a-) politically motivated
b-) franchise motivated (kill it so in the future franchise the moviegoer takes everything stuffed down the throat)
c-) incompetence and unintentional (Hanlons Razor) and a mirror of the creators pathetic world view

or probably a mix of the three.

Anyway my disgust of Hollywood is complete at this point.

Yeah what a waste... I was too busy to see the movie but now I'm grateful that I didn't (saved ~3 hours of my life).  But damn what a bad way to move the story, so many things were forgotten and just retconned... to the point that the EU material looks like a masterpiece with Thrawn, Yuzan Vong and Krayt.

Another thing I hate is how characters just 'move on' after a friend dies.  Compare this... in EU, Chewie sacrifices himself to save Han's son and dies because a moon crashes into the planet he was on.  When Han realizes this, he goes into a deep depression, temporarily paints the Millenium Falcon black and the Wookies carve a likeness of Chewie's face on a giant tree to commemorate him.  In disney's version, Han dies, Chewie roars a few times and shoots kylo and thats it.  Han was just forgotten just like Ackbar was later forgotten

What really surprised me was the passion (e.g 1, 2) that some of the reviewers showed when they reviewed this movie, you can tell that they wanted this movie to succeed, they wanted to revel in its awesomeness, but lo and behold it doesn't live up to their expectations.  Its so sad to see SW go and for Luke to die like that.  I just hope that CIG gives Hamill's character a much better treatment than disney did.

Also, here's a review with actual movie clips and a convenient background xD

On 03/01/2018 at 9:54 PM, Gremlich said:

A Thrawn storyline would have been much better for 7, 8, and 9 instead of another Disney princesses film. (Rey and Leia)

Hell, I'd prefer to see Mara Jade than Rey anyday

Edit: found this post about the movie from an eve player's point of view, pretty interesting and summarises a lot of the problems I have with the movie:

Edit 2: This guy made reviews for the DA, ME series as well as others... I found out about his channel back in the ME3 ending debacle, where he tore them a new one.  He is making his review about TLJ:

@Tom Villder haha, yeah that guy cracked me up, but some good points for sure.  Overall I really enjoyed the movie, but the more I think about and continue reading up on questions I have the more I see how people are dissatisfied.  

Luke's character was disappointing it didn't fit for me.  Rey seemed to progress too quickly without any training and Kylo-Ren seemed so weak against her even though he has Skywalker blood.