Banu Defender

VoA

4 hours ago, Booster Terrik said:

oops 😅

Ehh, given CIG talking at every opportunity about BMM and Defender's interlocking game play, either forum should be fit to talk about the counterpart as well...

If segregation is enforced, how will we ever discuss the in-betweens?

It would be really cool, if a few Defenders could attach to the bottom of the BMM, similar to the Merlin and the Constellation...

Edited by Pharesm
twisting the meaning of my post like a prezel!11@#$ muahah

15 hours ago, Pharesm said:

It would be really cool, if a few Defenders could attach to the bottom of the BMM, similar to the Merlin and the Constellation...

Given how they talk about the two you might be right on the money. Either they dock or perhaps they can be slaved to the BMM through AI.

7 hours ago, Booster Terrik said:

Given how they talk about the two you might be right on the money. Either they dock or perhaps they can be slaved to the BMM through AI.

OMG, being able to slave them with a CPU card would be totally awesome  (shades of the X series space games)

And possibly the most bug ridden nightmare ever :D

I could think of an infinite number of horrible mishaps with the slightest imperfections in the AI...

The one thing I won't do in any case is buy Banu Defenders for cash.

I'll have the BMM waiting in the Hangar until I've upgraded my starter ship to a Defender and made enough to buy a second or third Defender in-game.

For one thing, small ships are bad value with the exponential pricing scale CR has announced, and for another I worry that large parts of the game will be spoiled / negated, if one starts with a fleet that contains everything and is usable from the get go.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OFFICIAL

Banu Defender Info from Josh Coons

/u/Khunze aka Josh Coons has been doing a Banu Defender AMA of sorts, in the form of thread necros of various Defender topics. Take a look at his post history to see, but I'll try to copy and paste some of the info here.

In reference to these:

These are the first run concepts. It will follow loosely the shapes however it will look nothing like the screen shots.....I have something else for you.

those shots are what is considered 12% art or whitebox.

those shots are of old whitebox geo with some already in house textures applied. this was of a previous artist. It was looking too.....static, aka...looks like it was modeled in a 3d program. Im taking a more organic approach this time.

On the cockpit view:

I was surprised how good the visibility is off the get go. The previous model was meh on the view. My trick IF I run into trouble with the arms/wings obstructing view is to just tilt them down slightly for increased view.

The view is really good. Struts are minimal, you can look over and see your secondary pilot in his cockpit, and the forward view is super clear.

when you sit in the ship, it feels like you are centered due to the scale. It feels real good, I'm very pleased with the way the whole cockpit setup is coming along.

The view is amazing though...it really is. Im so happy with the view. I also anticipated the arms being an obstruction so knowing that ahead of time I made sure I could adjust the view through mechanically changing the degree of slant of the wing/arm. its amazing how much you can gain of 1-5 degrees.

Overall look of the ship:

Lots of new art and ship building techniques going into this one. You guys are going to see some new stuff on this ship....lots of organics....thats why they got me, the sculptor, on this bad boy.

its going to be more organic....toned down, less shiny noise, and less visual noise though simplification.

I ref the Vanduul while Im doing the Defender for this reason. Vanduul is more like.....Mordor + spikes + organic. Defender/Banu is more like Color + Resin + Ornate. Banu is has way less aggressive visual language.

You should be able to look over the finished ship and pick out what parts came from what race :) Some tech the Banu deem superior yet they improve upon it to make it better, making it their own as well.

the whole interior is getting a different treatment. all new texture sets.... and most will be hand sculpted which is a first for ships in SC period. its going to be the pioneer organic ship. Lighting is 90% of what makes it look good...so Ill be spending a bunch of time on that section.

Agility:

The Defender is going to be (the plan as it stands) HIGHLY maneuverable. I get the feeling this will be sort of a "Glass Cannon" type class with agility thrown on top. The Defender specs are pretty much the archetype I play in most games

• 1 month later...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16999-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-February-2019

Development continues on the Banu Defender which is utilizing a new style of production that caters to its organic art style. ZBrush is being used to sculpt the interior before transferring the high-density model to 3ds Max, where it is then rebuilt (low-poly) for the game engine. A large portion of the exterior greybox is complete and looking fantastic.

• 1 month later...

nice to see Josh talking about it....  (don't drop the ball, Josh, we're counting on you for this art set!)

I hope it doesn't loose the blackness, the elegant necromonger feel.  There's not enough black used in ship assets generally. I know, difficult to light, but worth it.

It doesn't look like we've gotten terribly far yet... don't remember what patch the BD is supposed to be out.

All I know is, I'm not spending CIG's inflated price for a fighter - will be an in-game acquisition...

All the people who thought they needed a bunch of fighters in their hangar and then didn't have the $600 for an 890Jump are probably biting themselves now...

In-game: geometric pricing . . .

In any game so far, the initial advancements are fairly easy and quick to obtain, for that extra feeling of accomplishment and fun, to get people hooked.

Too much grind is avoided for the first month or so...

I'm pretty sure this means, that fighters won't be very hard to obtain. Alien fighters will have extra hoops to jump through, but grinding a bit of Banu reputation will be very useful at any rate. And grinding reputation will probably earn you the required funds at any rate.  The more things change, the more they remain the same in games and elsewhere.

(this is not an opinion, just conjecture, which may or may not come to pass)

On 5/3/2019 at 6:44 AM, Pharesm said:

I'm pretty sure this means, that fighters won't be very hard to obtain. Alien fighters will have extra hoops to jump through, but grinding a bit of Banu reputation will be very useful at any rate. And grinding reputation will probably earn you the required funds at any rate.  The more things change, the more they remain the same in games and elsewhere.

uhm ... dangerous comment ... mind that Mr. Roberts any day could come out of the blue with a "we have re desigend mechanix X or Y" and in one second the Banu ends up in a wasted pledge (like it is likely to happen with the Starfarer) 

Yeah, I'm painfully aware of the high chance that ships we like and purchase end up a useless mess.  I've been through a lot of them.

Lando O-tone:

"Our [ship] advertising is just fluff" - i.e. backers don't know what they're getting.

"Your [ship] choices should matter" - i.e. it should be hard for backers to switch ships, even though they don't know what they're getting.

I saw a hint about the Starfarer, that it may not be able to harvest fuel anymore, but I couldn't find any source so far...  The only reason CIG can keep re-thinking and re-doing everything endlessly is because we're sending them too damned much money.

But basic game mechanics themselves aren't arbitrary enough to just toss everything about.  Once you have the appropriate agent standing for a certain ship, it must fairly reliably be able to produce income that pays running costs and repairs and a profit at a level commensurate with the grade of ship you're using - even for players who are not at the very top of the bell curve.  Such are the necessities of game mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

Why in the Banu Defender thread?
I thought there wasn't anything about the BD in this vid...

Did I miss it?

11 hours ago, Pharesm said:

Why in the Banu Defender thread?
I thought there wasn't anything about the BD in this vid...

Did I miss it?

Yes the was in the middle of the video.... watch it again... + here is an image from the monthly report below + from the vid above.

udpoEzqryAMIev8kgTXH04xH1vj1OS43Wxw1Ln4nj7Y.png?auto=webp&s=edaf0f2729845f8046e3e52265b6db50c4910227

jk6cvwtmjmy21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=d0a0376f983bb7d7ccb896994e1b6c9af0683fd9

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...