Zion Orion

Death, beneficiaries, and second accounts.

space-dead-body

So was having a discussion about the perma-death feature of the game and how our beneficiaries will become our new character. I had then mentioned about being able to have a second account and make that character into an NPC that can be used as a crew member and that you could also make that second account/character your beneficiary. So it hit me then that if I die with one account i'll still always have a "new" character but that account will stay alive infinitely. If I name my second account the beneficiary then when he dies his beneficiary will carry on infinitely. BUT I will have gone from two accounts/characters to only having one. So if we are running multiple packages to have extras for crew then we need to make sure not to name our own characters as beneficiary or we will effectively lose that account upon death and will be merged into our second, leaving only one.

Thoughts? What am I missing here? I had planned on just keeping it all within the "family" so to speak and pass belongings to the next crew member (my npc second account).

Edited by Zion Orion
Wrong upload

You can name one of your own account's characters as beneficiary, not a different account. Also, if you make a character into an NPC, you won't have control over its bank account and stuff. You will just be able to hire the NPC and see your former character alive in the verse. 

You will be able to have many different characters on one account, so if you do it right, you can still chain link the beneficiaries and strategize a bit with the way you play characters. 
For example, I am going to have one main character that I take into the verse, mainly for trading and exploration purposes, a few secondary characters to act as crew members on people's ships, and at least one behind the scenes character that runs my businesses, nodes, and passive income, without venturing into the verse. 

I believe the OP is confusing a person's RSI account with the number of game packages attributed to an RSI account. The majority of Star Citizen backers have one RSI account and one game package. You can't launch Star Citizen without an RSI account and you can't play the game without a game package.

At the moment, you only have one character regardless of how many game packages on your account. At some point, CIG will introduce "character slots" to RSI accounts and players will be given one character slot for each game package they own. Players can choose to make their characters independent of each other, or make one a "Primary Character" and assign the other characters to the PC as NPCs, and have them serve as crew, squadmates, sidekicks, etc.

All characters must have a beneficiary chosen by the player so that in the (inevitable) event the player's character dies, the beneficiary will inherit that character's belongings and the player will continue on playing as that new character.

If the player has multiple game packages and therefore multiple character slots, and chooses to name one of their secondary characters as the beneficiary of their PC, if and when the PC dies, their belongings will be inherited by the secondary character, who becomes the new PC.

The character slot formerly belonging to the deceased PC will be vacated and the player can create a new character to fill that slot. They don't ever lose a character slot. There will always be a character that can inherit the PC's belongings. Even if you had 4 characters, 1 PC and 3 NPCs, all serving aboard your Constellation, and you accidentally quantum jumped into a star and your ship was destroyed and everyone died -- perma-died. Even if you had a daisy chain of beneficiaries: your Primary Character's beneficiary was Character 2, C2's beneficiary was C3, C3's was C4, C4's was the PC, and they ALL died at once... the game would still allow the player to name a new beneficiary to inherit the PC's belongings and the player could fill all 4 character slots with new characters.

I don't know of any scenario wherein it's possible for a player's character to die and they can't continue the game. The only scenario I can think of is maybe CIG permanently bans a player, in which case they'd probably lock their RSI account.

@reavern good description and bang on... Also include that if u choose to log out u can then log back in and take over "agent smith" one of your other character slots and play that character as your primary.
The only thing i dont think u can do is log into your acct on multiple PCs and play multiple character slots from the same account.
You can however play multiple accts on multiple PCs at the same time...if u r so inclined

AstroJak

On 2/19/2017 at 1:22 AM, AstroJak said:

@reavern good description and bang on... Also include that if u choose to log out u can then log back in and take over "agent smith" one of your other character slots and play that character as your primary.
The only thing i dont think u can do is log into your acct on multiple PCs and play multiple character slots from the same account.
You can however play multiple accts on multiple PCs at the same time...if u r so inclined

AstroJak

I did not realize we would be able to switch between characters like that, I thought and secondary slots were only going to be AI controlled NPCs.

U wont be able to hotswop characters but will have to log out and back in. As Chris mentioned once its like u can play Jim Kirk one day and Spoke the next.
Keep in mind that if u have a characters with high skills u dont want to take them over because u as a player wont get the benefits of those skill levels.

AstroJak

Exactly... if a player has several alt accounts there is no reasonable way CIG would be able to tell who really owns what. So for instance you could load your hauler up with goods, insure it  and send it off on its way. then log onto your other acct and rob yourself. collect the insurance and then sell the goods on the black market. Do it too often and your likely to get nabbed or find no one will insure you but totally do-able.

AJ