Jump to content
Salohcin

Can I run this game at all?

Recommended Posts

That vid., says I can, I am around the middle ground... I have

ASUS Intel H61(B3) Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1155 (P8H61-M LX) Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache 1333MHz 4 Gig DIMM-DRAM PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 2DVI/Mini-HDMI PCI-Express Video Card... That should do decent right???
 
 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A GTX 650 and an i3 aren't going to get you 60 FPS... But if you'll settle for 30 and very low settings, you might just get by. Remember that the game right now isn't very well optimized (that comes later), you'll likely get a few more FPS in the future.

That said, if you intend to play this more intensively, you'll want to at least upgrade that GPU. A GTX 1060 will get you very far already, and if you can swap that i3 for an i5 as well, you'll be golden. Keep in mind though, the game is still in development. What's modern now may not be modern or enough when the game launches. So don't jump the shark just yet if you're strapped for cash. Wait for 3.0 at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Caldon said:

A GTX 650 and an i3 aren't going to get you 60 FPS... But if you'll settle for 30 and very low settings, you might just get by. Remember that the game right now isn't very well optimized (that comes later), you'll likely get a few more FPS in the future.

That said, if you intend to play this more intensively, you'll want to at least upgrade that GPU. A GTX 1060 will get you very far already, and if you can swap that i3 for an i5 as well, you'll be golden. Keep in mind though, the game is still in development. What's modern now may not be modern or enough when the game launches. So don't jump the shark just yet if you're strapped for cash. Wait for 3.0 at least.

 

I am good with low res (800x600) & the other vid. settings not high... The CPU is more important right? How can I get the game & see how it goes?? Oh crap, I only have 4 gig of ram...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Salohcin said:

 

I am good with low res (800x600) & the other vid. settings not high... The CPU is more important right? How can I get the game & see how it goes??

You got it backwards. For gaming, the biggest upgrade is always the GPU (graphics card). Star Citizen is pretty CPU heavy, but your money is better spent on a better graphics card. Also, some RAM would do you a ton of good. Upgrading it to 8 or 16 GB (if you can spare the money) will benefit you in other things as well, not just gaming.

As for trying the game, well, you'll need a game package. I believe there's a sale on right now, for either an Aurora or a Mustang, if you haven't gotten a package yet. If you do, then all you need to do is download the launcher from the website here.  There are also special V. day packages that include the singleplayer campaign, I forgot to mention that.

 

Edited by Caldon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Salohcin said:

What does it want for the handle on the RSI site?

Handle? You mean an account? I believe making an account is free. If you decide to buy a package, you'll be asked to make one during checkout I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salohcin said:

Will a GTX 1050 do, if I really do need a new GPU??? 1060 is still abit much...

It might... Star Citizen is by no means a light game, so I'd say for a good experience a 1060 is what you need at least, but if you can't afford better a 1050 will probably work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to be really careful you don't put too much upgrade cash into that PC. The problem is the LGA155 socket and H61 chipset, which limits the CPU type and the number of sticks of RAM you can fit. As an example, if your RAM is 2 sticks of 2GB, you'll have to replace it completely to upgrade to 8GB.

You may be better off looking for a cheap, second hand motherboard and CPU from EBay with a newer socket and chipset. You need to think what your long term upgrade plan is, otherwise you will spend more money than you may want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend that you look at a few threads in the hardware section. These will help out in the future. I recommend setting aside a new rig fund and plan on getting a whole new rig at the end of the year or sooner if you get SQ42 upon it's release and find your system really lacking. By then, hopefully Dx12 will be optimized for SQ42/SC and GPU prices drop. DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST and ask as many questions as you have to at those other threads in the hardware section before you upgrade. also, check these 3 links out, you may find inspiration.

https://pcmasterracebuilds.com/the-best-500-dollar-gaming-pc-build/

http://levelupyourgear.com/best-gaming-pc-build-under-500-dollars-cheap-budget

http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-under-500-dollars-2017

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CheeseNorris said:

with that sort of setup it makes gaming SC hardly enjoyable... part of it is its eye candy

I certainly hope that the gameplay is what will win people over, not the graphics. Otherwise SC would lose a good chunk of it's fanbase simply because they can't afford a GTX 1080 and an i7 CPU. 

Star Citizen will look pretty good anyway, even on low settings. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Caldon said:

I certainly hope that the gameplay is what will win people over, not the graphics. Otherwise SC would lose a good chunk of it's fanbase simply because they can't afford a GTX 1080 and an i7 CPU. 

Star Citizen will look pretty good anyway, even on low settings. So I wouldn't worry too much.

You don't need that CPU or GPU. I'm using an FX-8350 and 2xGTX970. Total actual cost of those 3 items to me was "only" $610. My 2nd 970 cost $150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gremlich First off, that's the point of my post. :P

Second, since the 2nd hand market is very liquid and subject to change, and the quality of the parts purchased can be... Questionable, I always use the new-price of parts when giving advice. That way I always know what I'm saying is right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 7:23 PM, Caldon said:

 Otherwise SC would lose a good chunk of it's fanbase simply because they can't afford a GTX 1080 and an i7 CPU. 

you missed the whole point. this game is designed for next gun CPUs and GPUs, not some crappy 9600GT. and that's what got backers in the first place.

meanwhile, i used to had a second hand rig which lasted me for 6 solid years until I killed it by mishandling it. solid 4ghz OC-ed from stock 2.9Ghz on a 660gtx running SC just fine. a little knowledge helps to maximise that cash spent on electronics. 

I'd suggest remain with your rig for now, until SQ42 launches before deciding your purchase/upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CheeseNorris said:

you missed the whole point. this game is designed for next gun CPUs and GPUs, not some crappy 9600GT. and that's what got backers in the first place.

meanwhile, i used to had a second hand rig which lasted me for 6 solid years until I killed it by mishandling it. solid 4ghz OC-ed from stock 2.9Ghz on a 660gtx running SC just fine. a little knowledge helps to maximise that cash spent on electronics. 

I'd suggest remain with your rig for now, until SQ42 launches before deciding your purchase/upgrades.

I missed nothing. You said that SC will be "hardly enjoyable" without good graphics, I said that I would certainly hope not, because otherwise the game would be "hardly enjoyable" for anyone without a top-notch rig. It may be what got backers' attention, it won't be what will keep it.

Also, if you'd bothered to read my earlier post, you'd see that I told him myself that he shouldn't jump the shark right now because the game is still being developed, and it's requirements might change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Caldon said:

I missed nothing. You said that SC will be "hardly enjoyable" without good graphics, I said that I would certainly hope not, because otherwise the game would be "hardly enjoyable" for anyone without a top-notch rig. It may be what got backers' attention, it won't be what will keep it.

that's just an opinion, but the fact that SC was initially developed with a cpu & gpu intensive engine demands it. if it's been done otherwise, say an obsolete engine, then that probably holds water.

that other half of the post wasn't meant for you but OP if he considers @Gremlich advice. doesn't matter if OP has -hypothetically- crappy hardware if he knows how to test those 2nd hand components to tell apart from a genuinely faulty one and even OC them. there is certainly a way to do that, googling them goes a long way.. served me fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CheeseNorris said:

that's just an opinion, but the fact that SC was initially developed with a cpu & gpu intensive engine demands it. if it's been done otherwise, say an obsolete engine, then that probably holds water.

that other half of the post wasn't meant for you but OP if he considers @Gremlich advice. doesn't matter if OP has -hypothetically- crappy hardware if he knows how to test those 2nd hand components to tell apart from a genuinely faulty one and even OC them. there is certainly a way to do that, googling them goes a long way.. served me fine

You're arguing for the game being very heavy to run, requiring fairly decent next-gen hardware. Then in your next post you're telling us you were running the game fine on a GTX 660 - a mid tier card that is now very dated. Just... What are you arguing for?

If OP knows how to test 2nd hand hardware safely then it can work, but you'd need to be sure that there's a money back guarantee, you need the know-how, and even then it can be tricky because parts don't just sorta break at random - they get worn out. The card may work fine for weeks and suddenly it breaks down because of worn-out components, and it can take your entire PC with you. I myself had a brand new GTX 780 (first hand) that worked for a year and then had a power connector failure, causing a short that blew my PSU's fuses (thank god I have a good power supply). If that happens with 2nd hand hardware, you won't have a warranty to fall back on most of the time, and if your other hardware isn't all that impressive either, it could even cause a fire.

Bottom line, I know these are very doomsday scenario's, but I've seen bad stuff happen with 2nd hand stuff loads of times. That's why I never recommend it and always tell people to be very careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend a new build. Your system has to be around 5 years old by the looks of it and could hit the pit sooner than later.

AMD Ryzen is releasing in just over a week and the price to performance is incredible. I would suggest you pair a AM4 1700, with a RX 480 8gig. Price drop now at $170-200 range which is a even bigger steal and beats the GTX1060, (and makes the 1050TI look like a clown car), in overall performance in DX11 & 12.

8gigs of Vram is going to be the norm for ultra settings for games soon, as even Halo wars 2 suggest a 8gig video card. So keep that in mind for start citizen which will hopefully be out in 2 years time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×