Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The next Imperium Game Day will be held on February 25th. Please click here for more information on how to join.

xKiLlFrEnZyx

Help with PC issues - Screen goes black

I have a 2 monitor setup and sometimes when gaming/doing stuff on my main/primary monitor the 2nd monitor to my side would go into a sort of "sleep" mode where it just goes black and wont ever come back on.

Windows that are on that screen are still there and can be interacted with. The screen still comes up in display settings and is being picked up but its just all black

The only way to solve the problem is to turn the monitor off (which sends all my open windows to the main monitor) and then turn it back on, it will then go back to normal and act normally for a while then randomly go black again.

There is no way to make the issue occur, sometimes after hours of gaming it doesn't come up once, sometimes 30 - 40 mins in it happens.

Having something playing on the 2nd screen seems to make it happen less or flat out stops the issue from occurring/reoccurring, but that could just be luck as it has gone black while YouTube for example is playing.

As far as im aware nothing from the software side "should" be effecting it as nothing has really been installed that is new/hasn't been on the system before and also caused the issue, though an update to some app might be doing it.

If anyone has any tips ideas please share

Post your model specifications so that we can help you out better. I remember experiencing a similar issue. Turned out to be a faulty capacitor. Ordered part, soldered, done.

DasDeimos.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz

GPU: Radeon R9 290

RAM: 16Gb DDR3

MoBo: ASUS Maximus Hero VII

Monitor2: Acer H243H (one that goes black)

Monitor1: LG 34UM68-P

Anything im missing?

Sounds to me like your monitor's backlight is failing. I had this problem once too, and it sounds exactly like what you have. When your screen shuts off, can you try and see if there's anything on the screen at all? Try viewing it from an angle, above works nice.

I would switch monitors to rule out a hardware issue. Make the one in question your primary display and vice versa. Then go from there..

Soonds to me like your monitor is going to sleep. Is there any light to indicate otherwise? Usually the led buttons turn orange when the sleeping. 

When it goes black the light stays in the "on" colour 

There are also no visible backlights or anything of that sort. Looking at it from different angles shows nothing

The monitor in question at one point was my main with another being the 2nd and during that time it never went black

EDIT: Shining a light into the screen reveals the picture what does this mean?

Edited by xKiLlFrEnZyx

Yup, your backlight is busted. It'll likely work like this for a week or two, then begin to shut off faster and faster before shutting off completely. Given that your monitor is so old, I don't think you can find replacement parts to fix the backlight yourself, and repair companies generally charge too much money for it to be viable.

Time for a new monitor.

Any time man. Good luck with your new monitor! No worries. There's plenty of good replacements for little money nowadays.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ltsnowman88
      i am new at space sim I have dual logitech extreme 3d pro I have gone thought and calibrated both of them but in game my ship moves with out me doing anything if someone know what i should do i would love the help
    • By danredda
      As some of you may be aware, over the last 2-3 months I have been speccing out, and then building my new gaming monster. Whilst it's name is still a work in progress (if anyone has any good ideas, I would appreciate it), I have now completed it and am using it (I forgot how much of a bitch it is to setup a new PC software wise...). Without further ado, I present the Imgur album of my new PC.
      http://imgur.com/a/vePIx
      Specs:
      i7 6850k (OC'd to 4.4ghz) Asus Rampage 5 Edition 10 Motherboard 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000 DDR4 Samsung 960 Pro 1tb nvme SSD 2x Samsung 850 evo 1tb SSD Corsair AX 1500i Power Supply 2x Nvidia Titan X Pascal (2050mhz clock, 10200 Memory) Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Case: Thermaltake Core W100 (Hard to find anything that would fit my rad overkill)
      Cooling:
      EK D5 Pump PWM EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator EK 560mm Coolstream CE Radiator EK X-RES 250 EK FC-Titan X (Pascal) and Backplate (x2) EK Rampage V Edition 10 RGB monoblock (cools PCH and CPU and VRM) EK EKoolant UV Green PETG 16mmOD Tubing Other:
      EVGA HB SLI Bridge Cablemod Modflex Lime Green sleeved cables (UV reactive) Cablemod UV Magnetic Strips (4x 60cm)  
      Firestrike Results: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11348319
      GPU temp under load hit a max of 46C, CPU hit a max of 71C. The fans didn't even have to go up beyond ~40%

Now I just need that 144hz 4k monitor Asus announced at CES...

• By Doopsums
      Well the Gpa came over for the holidays, saw my sweet ass rig (courtesy of @Juntau and the SCB community), and said "Here is a $1000 bucks. I want a pc that is fast and cool like yours." I said "Alright Grandpa, but only if we team up later to play some Overwatch and pwn some n00bs!"
      So my Grandpa is 86 years old, obviously he is not going to be a power user playing VR games everyday. Just needs something that is fast, efficient, and affordable. Obviously the budget is $1000. Doesn't need to be a power house gaming rig either. Light internet surfing, email, excel sheets, and copying data/pictures now and then. He would also like for it to have the ability to "play games" (I'm not even sure he knows how to install them LUL).
      This is where i'm at right now:
      https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M2tfVY = $1138
      Couple things I want to keep in this build:
       Black and White Themed I love the NZXT Case and Water Cooler that I picked currently - not changing these two items Would like to keep these so I can overclock the proc and get more performance out of the i5. MUST have an optical drive Would be nice to fit a brand new copy of windows 10 into the budget if possible. Would be nice if I could include one led light strip to accent the Whites/blacks Lets get this puppy under $1000! Feedback needed!
    • By AHomelessWalrus
      I've been having some issues with my PC lately, and they seem to be getting worse. I figured I'd ask here in addition to a few other forums since I know generally the PC gaming community can be pretty knowledgeable about issues like this. Anyway, here's some info:
      Specs:
      CPU: Intel i7-4770k
      GPU: AMD 290x
      Motherboard: Asus Z87 pro
      Power supply: 750 watt
      RAM: 16gb

Symptoms: Blue screen of death (usually get error code "WHEA_uncorrectable_error") about 4-5 times every day for probably the last 2 weeks. Severely impacting the usability of my PC.

Troubleshooting steps: I've got information from BlueScreenViewer and the Windows Reliability Monitor, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. I've included some screenshots of what I've been seeing below if it helps any. If more information is needed just ask.

Screenshots:
      Blue screen viewer: http://imgur.com/a/dp4Fh
      Reliability monitor: http://imgur.com/a/A1pX5

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Minidump files here as well.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ezfgOOsRp2b2F6d2dYTHhaT1U

• By WarWulf
      PC Gamer gives a brief overview of their experience with Star Citizen during the free flight period.
      Starts at 00:14:36 (If my direct link didn't work).