Welcome to Star Citizen Base

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

xKiLlFrEnZyx

Help with PC issues - Screen goes black

I have a 2 monitor setup and sometimes when gaming/doing stuff on my main/primary monitor the 2nd monitor to my side would go into a sort of "sleep" mode where it just goes black and wont ever come back on.

Windows that are on that screen are still there and can be interacted with. The screen still comes up in display settings and is being picked up but its just all black

The only way to solve the problem is to turn the monitor off (which sends all my open windows to the main monitor) and then turn it back on, it will then go back to normal and act normally for a while then randomly go black again.

There is no way to make the issue occur, sometimes after hours of gaming it doesn't come up once, sometimes 30 - 40 mins in it happens.

Having something playing on the 2nd screen seems to make it happen less or flat out stops the issue from occurring/reoccurring, but that could just be luck as it has gone black while YouTube for example is playing.

As far as im aware nothing from the software side "should" be effecting it as nothing has really been installed that is new/hasn't been on the system before and also caused the issue, though an update to some app might be doing it.

If anyone has any tips ideas please share

Post your model specifications so that we can help you out better. I remember experiencing a similar issue. Turned out to be a faulty capacitor. Ordered part, soldered, done.

DasDeimos.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz

GPU: Radeon R9 290

RAM: 16Gb DDR3

MoBo: ASUS Maximus Hero VII

Monitor2: Acer H243H (one that goes black)

Monitor1: LG 34UM68-P

Anything im missing?

Sounds to me like your monitor's backlight is failing. I had this problem once too, and it sounds exactly like what you have. When your screen shuts off, can you try and see if there's anything on the screen at all? Try viewing it from an angle, above works nice.

I would switch monitors to rule out a hardware issue. Make the one in question your primary display and vice versa. Then go from there..

Soonds to me like your monitor is going to sleep. Is there any light to indicate otherwise? Usually the led buttons turn orange when the sleeping. 

When it goes black the light stays in the "on" colour 

There are also no visible backlights or anything of that sort. Looking at it from different angles shows nothing

The monitor in question at one point was my main with another being the 2nd and during that time it never went black

EDIT: Shining a light into the screen reveals the picture what does this mean?

Edited by xKiLlFrEnZyx

Yup, your backlight is busted. It'll likely work like this for a week or two, then begin to shut off faster and faster before shutting off completely. Given that your monitor is so old, I don't think you can find replacement parts to fix the backlight yourself, and repair companies generally charge too much money for it to be viable.

Time for a new monitor.

Any time man. Good luck with your new monitor! No worries. There's plenty of good replacements for little money nowadays.