Firefly - New episodes?

Schatten

Good news everyone!

David Madden (Commander in Chief of the mighty Box Fox network) told some people in january that they are interested to continue (or reboot?) Firefly. But he also said they wouldn't do it without Joss Whedon at the helm.

Only time will tell if Whedon can find room in his busy schedule and if he's even interested. On top of that, Nathan Fillion said last September that he don't really want to continue the series as he has no idea in which direction they would go with the new episodes.

1 hour ago, AHomelessWalrus said:

I have no source for this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I feel like I remember reading recently that the actors felt uncomfortable continuing the series after the actor who had played Book had died. Unfortunate if true, but understandable.

To me that would be rather strange as something (trying to avoid spoilers here) happened to Sheperd Book and Wash during the movie Serenity making it unlikely for those characters to return. So while it is understandable if they feel uncomfortable because Ron Glass is no longer among us (he died recently at age 71) the events of the series would likely take place years after the movie.

And while I would love a continuation, I fear that it might end up as a disaster. Firefly -to me- had an awesome season and a cool movie which brought a lot of closure. Maybe it's best to cherish the memories (and blu ray discs of Firefly and Serenity on my shelf) instead of wanting for something they may not be able to achieve. Firefly did go before its time though and I hate that Fox cancelled it after just one season. It should have deserved to go through 4 seasons at least in my opinion.

The big question is, how would they "continue" it, from where it left off? What story would feel right and make sense after everything and this time? A reboot? Honestly, I;ve had my fill of reboots. The Cap and his crew did alright.

So all I can think of is follow a journey with some other crew, with the occasional run in with a companion or merc, or have it it set 20 or 30yrs later with their children. (Mal and the Companion, Kaylee and the Doc, Merc and the Whore, Wash and Zoe) of which some episodes can touch on how some things changed or what happened to some of the parents. Perhaps the Doc managed to fix River somewhat but she still refuses to leave Serenity (after 30yrs she'd be alot older)

I dunno, if done right it keeps the timeline, respects what the original crew did, and opens up a whole new fresh story.

5 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

To me that would be rather strange as something (trying to avoid spoilers here) happened to Sheperd Book and Wash during the movie Serenity making it unlikely for those characters to return. So while it is understandable if they feel uncomfortable because Ron Glass is no longer among us (he died recently at age 71) the events of the series would likely take place years after the movie.

That's a very good point, from a writing standpoint it would be easy to continue the series (though, honestly, I think I'd have a tough time with the series if it was indeed a sequel, since it'd be difficult to allow Alan Tudyk to reprise his role).

I too think maybe the series is best left where it is. Serenity was a good sendoff in my opinion, and while the series was no doubt cut short prematurely, I wonder how many seasons could go on before the writing began to suffer for it.

Unlikely to happen with the original cast, although a new series based in the Firefly Universe is much more likely (let alone possible, something like Badger's Tales, stories seen from his "idiom") with cameos of the originals. Fox saw the success of The Expanse and saw dollar signs.