Cheaters face permaban

ZehLegitGlitch

1 minute ago, Tom Villder said:

Kudos to CIG for doing what's right! This is exactly what they deserve... cheating in single player games I understand, but in MP there's simply no excuse.

What I like is that they're taking steps to making cheat prevention in Single player since things in SQ42 will carry over to your PU character. 

I wonder how long it will take for the 1st guys to come and complain that their superior skills allowed them to headshoot 20 people in a row from across the map and that it wasn't an aimbot that did it ;) I also wonder how long it will take for the 1st guy to lawyer up and demand his completionist package and/or money back after he gets caught cheating :lol: OOOOH the drama, it is going to be enjoyable ....

Seriously though: I sure hope Chris rams his fist elbow deep into the asshole of anyone trying to cheat in this game, cheating has ruined way too many games for me already :( GO GET EM CHRIS !!! :wub:

The main reason for requesting video evidence is of course to not get swamped with unsubstantiated claims by peoples who just got killed by more skilled players.

Anyway its great this has become an issue so CIG puts peoples on this early. Zero tolerance for cheaters in multiplayer.

This is why I'm glad Star Citizen isn't Free To Play.  Planetside 2 was (I've stopped playing it in part because of this, or I would be able to say "is") riddled with cheaters out to just ruin everyone's day. Sure they would get banned eventually, but they'd just make another free account and keep doing it.  Since Star Citizen costs money, cheaters have to pay every time they get banned, and that's a key feature of Star Citizen that shouldn't be underestimated.

This is a personal opinion, I think CIG will always make the correct choice seeing how they know everything going on and we will only see part of it, this is with respect towards them, just confusion.

I'm a little confused, if i'm understanding this right, why they're straight banning people for testing a game in alpha, my personal understanding of a alpha is you're supposed to use it for testing and breaking to fix what is exploited. So if people are being banned for testing, then we'll only run into these issues down the road or within the smaller test groups of CIG and evocodi.

If leaderboards would have been postponed I feel alpha could have been treated like alpha and used for testing rather people upset about how laggy the servers are and if people are exploiting at the moment, since boundaries need to be pushed now every patch and update rather than later.

IMO they could have tested it on the PTU or in a private match.. but most importantly they should have asked CIG before hand

I agree that the leader boards should have been postponed as they are open to abuse and the way points are calculated is flawed at best ^^

remember that a lot cheat/hack sides use the alpha/betas to program their cheats 

I think blizzard "system and IP" ban players so even buying a new game would instant ban the account  (over watch)

I've stopped playing games because the devs din't ban or removed the items gotten from the players  who used  exploits to get  large amount of gold/points/rep or what ever trade good is used. 

Kicking the cheaters? I have no problems with that whatsoever.
I know it's still early but CIG needs to make it's stance on cheating absolutely clear from the start. By the time the full PU rolls around people should have a pretty clear picture of what happens when you get caught cheating.

On a side note: I hope Chris doesn't stop with cheaters but also deals with other annoyances ;). I really hope he also finds a way to deal with asshats, griefers and other assorted scum that get a kick out of ruining other peoples game time. Personally I would like to see hard core griefers banned from the general PU and put in a separate PU only filled with griefers. 

Putting a bounty on someone because he shot you in the head in plain view of the advocacy is not punishment for griefers who don't care if their character dies 50 times a day. The so called pirate who gets a kick out of destroying aurora's left and right without even picking up their cargo just for the kick of killing newbies should not be allowed to roam freely amongst the civilized citizens and criminals of the universe. 

:)

Although Chris seems to think he can deal with griefers with in-game systems like Advocacy, bounty hunters, reputation, etc. I don't think this will deter hard core griefers who don't care about their character and get a kick out of raising other people's bloodpressure. In other games these are the people that use friendly fire to screw up their team, load up a chopper full of team mates and then either take them on a long sightseeing tour or crash them into a mountain. The guys that use jeeps in BF to run over other players where they jump out just before the jeep hits so they don't even get a friendly kill ;) If you think hard you all probably encountered players like this before, wouldn't the world be a better place if we could just make them disappear to a parallel PU where they can go and annoy each other instead of us?

21 hours ago, Booster Terrik said:

I wonder how long it will take for the 1st guys to come and complain that their superior skills allowed them to headshoot 20 people in a row from across the map and that it wasn't an aimbot that did it ;) I also wonder how long it will take for the 1st guy to lawyer up and demand his completionist package and/or money back after he gets caught cheating :lol: OOOOH the drama, it is going to be enjoyable ....

Seriously though: I sure hope Chris rams his fist elbow deep into the asshole of anyone trying to cheat in this game, cheating has ruined way too many games for me already :( GO GET EM CHRIS !!! :wub:

Damn that's right, I enjoyed reading this, thanks :)

56 minutes ago, Booster Terrik said:

On a side note: I hope Chris doesn't stop with cheaters but also deals with other annoyances ;). I really hope he also finds a way to deal with asshats, griefers and other assorted scum that get a kick out of ruining other peoples game time. Personally I would like to see hard core griefers banned from the general PU and put in a separate PU only filled with griefers. 

Putting a bounty on someone because he shot you in the head in plain view of the advocacy is not punishment for griefers who don't care if their character dies 50 times a day. The so called pirate who gets a kick out of destroying aurora's left and right without even picking up their cargo just for the kick of killing newbies should not be allowed to roam freely amongst the civilized citizens and criminals of the universe. 

:)

Although Chris seems to think he can deal with griefers with in-game systems like Advocacy, bounty hunters, reputation, etc. I don't think this will deter hard core griefers who don't care about their character and get a kick out of raising other people's bloodpressure. In other games these are the people that use friendly fire to screw up their team, load up a chopper full of team mates and then either take them on a long sightseeing tour or crash them into a mountain. The guys that use jeeps in BF to run over other players where they jump out just before the jeep hits so they don't even get a friendly kill ;) If you think hard you all probably encountered players like this before, wouldn't the world be a better place if we could just make them disappear to a parallel PU where they can go and annoy each other instead of us?

I think there was mention of throwing griefers on a different server but I'm not 100% sure it was official or just someone asking.

The problem with automatic mechanics such as the advocacy is that sometimes the line between pirate and griefer is as thin as a Planck-length (If you're not a nerd, look it up). It's intention most of the case. Will the game require a pirate to at least pick up one crate of cargo so it considers them not a griefer? What if his cargo hold is full? Is that one player just flying around or actively blocking someone else's ship from going anywhere because he thinks its fun to mess with someone? If the griefed player then opens fire on the troll, the system would flag the wrong person.

I even have a colleague who openly admits he used to corpsecamp low level players in wow and how fun that was and how they couldn't do anything back and how he loved it when they finally logged off out of pure frustration. He really writes it off as "It's just a game so it's perfectly fine to do these things".

I have had some terrible experiences with trolls and griefers and these people deserve no symphaty. They're bullies and CIG should either throw them on their own "hell" server where they can troll eachother FOREVER... or ban their asses altogether.

9 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

Actually, considering that Squadron 42 outcomes will have influence on the Persistent Universe for players, dealing with cheating in SQ42 is prudent, in fact, essential.

I don't think that the completion of Sq42 will have a significant effect on SC PU.

There have been mentions that it will have an impact but nothing more than minor cosmetics. And also the campaign can be repeated countless times until PU actually starts giving every player the chance to easily acquire those cosmetics.

Sq42 singleplayer will afaik not feature a permanent client-server connection which makes cheat prevention almost impossible and also as no other players are touched and have their fun ruined by singleplayer cheating I dont see any issues with it and CIG should not waste any effort.

Sure it would be different if you could gain game changing advantages within Sq42 then I would totally agree with you. But at this point I am quite sure that will not happen.

6 minutes ago, Gremlich said:

Actually, considering that Squadron 42 outcomes will have influence on the Persistent Universe for players, dealing with cheating in SQ42 is prudent, in fact, essential.

True. If, with your achievements in SQ42, you gain favor with the UEE, which could mean things like discounts or access to exclusive UEE items in the PU, not to mention the fact that without finishing sq42 you might not have earned your citizenship.. I say many people will try to cheat in SQ42 and CIG can't let that fly:p

1 hour ago, Gremlich said:

That is true, what I meant by offline games are those that have pure singleplayer e.g. oblivion, skyrim etc.

3 hours ago, Fizzlefuse said:

I even have a colleague who openly admits he used to corpsecamp low level players in wow and how fun that was and how they couldn't do anything back and how he loved it when they finally logged off out of pure frustration. He really writes it off as "It's just a game so it's perfectly fine to do these things".

I have had some terrible experiences with trolls and griefers and these people deserve no symphaty. They're bullies and CIG should either throw them on their own "hell" server where they can troll eachother FOREVER... or ban their asses altogether.

Not a great example though because in WoW it was the player's choice to go to places where they could be killed and camped. And those places were not close to low level areas, even on PvP servers, so if a low level ended up being corpse camped, they made the decision to go where they had no reason to be. And even then you could rez at the graveyard and pay the penalty instead of running back to your corpse to risk being killed again. I definitely also corpse camped people until they rezed at the graveyard if they were on my faction's turf or in neutral ground if they were a known enemy.  I was also on the other side of it at other times, it was part of what you implicitly agreed to when you rolled on a PvP server or flagged yourself. None of that is griefing though.  Your friend is right that it was part of the game.

Griefing would be doing things such as causing people to be flagged for PvP not of their own accord, then killing them. That would be the equivalent of ramming an Aurora repeatedly into your ship in secure space.

Simply, they need to establish the rules and create consequences such that griefers are punished but accidents aren't account-ending. For example, if I'm cleared to land on Pad 6 and I accidentally land on Pad 9 instead, and your M50 was there that I didn't see, that shouldn't get my account banned.  But if it happens two more times in short order, there should be consequences, and if it continues to happen after the consequences expire, there should be revocation of flight privileges on a more permanent basis, even if that means I can't even take the helm of a ship I own in free-for-all space.

@CyberianK , granted, but if you have a cheat that grants you Citizenship without having to complete a single mission or task in SQ42, that shouldn't be tolerated. And we have little to no details regarding the benefits of completing SQ42 other than Citizenship, maybe a ship or credits.

@Boildown your example could easily be explained away as an accident. Once, maybe twice, especially if you have a decent reputation in the community.

Just now, Gremlich said:

@CyberianK , granted, but if you have a cheat that grants you Citizenship without having to complete a single mission or task in SQ42, that shouldn't be tolerated. And we have little to no details regarding the benefits of completing SQ42 other than Citizenship, maybe a ship or credits.

It is usually very easy to complete a single player campaign in any game you basically don't need much more than time to do it. Exceptions are probably Dark Souls like games. Therefore I personally would not have an issue with peoples using such a cheat so obtain something that is easily available and almost everyone who will later play SC PU obtains anyway.

But sure your right we don't know much about the benefits. If there's something rare and hard to get that gives you a considerable advantage in PU I would agree that cheats might be an issue.

I know this is a moot point for most of us who know how to record our games using the various utilities out there, but I think CIG should consider building into the launcher a recorder or DVR type mechanism for the Alpha/Beta program so that *when* (not if) a player encounters a cheater, it will have the ability to get recorded. I mention DVR functionality, because not every play session has anything worthy of saving. I think this would go a long way in the PR department to cut down on legitimate players who simply are clueless or for whatever reason unable to get their recorder working. 

52 minutes ago, EvilTCell said:

I know this is a moot point for most of us who know how to record our games using the various utilities out there, but I think CIG should consider building into the launcher a recorder or DVR type mechanism for the Alpha/Beta program so that *when* (not if) a player encounters a cheater, it will have the ability to get recorded. I mention DVR functionality, because not every play session has anything worthy of saving. I think this would go a long way in the PR department to cut down on legitimate players who simply are clueless or for whatever reason unable to get their recorder working. 

I think they want to do some automated Twitch integration with the new Lumberyard features that is possibly a way to do this. Maybe instead of streaming to twitch you can also change option to stream to disk which is basically recording. Even if you only can to Twitch that's still good if its a streamlined built in feature.

As someone that was once falsely accused of cheating and had to go through a lengthy process to prove my innocence, I only hope it isn't too easy for hackers to spoof their username in any such recorded "proof". I'm sure no-one here would appreciate the possibility of having their account banned by someone else using their name (or similar) in a cheat video...